Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*TRAIN NEWS* Brighton main line closed tomorrow

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Oh dear. And you must have a job on the railway,

not even remotely, i just understand that shit happens and you cant remove every risk, no matter how hard you try.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
not even remotely, i just understand that shit happens and you cant remove every risk, no matter how hard you try.

Everyone knows there are understandable and unavoidable problems, but it's happening almost every day. I've said before that when I started commuting, it was over 3 years before I had a day when I didn't get to work due to trains, but now it's about once a week.

D

Deleted User X18H

What's going on I have heard at least two trains this morning . (Preston Park)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What's going on I have heard at least two trains this morning . (Preston Park)

Your guess is as good as anyone's. Perhaps they've got the Flying Scotsman out of mothballs as an emergency measure.

On a serious note - do any of the resident train experts know how long the disruption from Brighton to Hassocks will last please? I can't work from home indefinitely so need to think about contingency plans (Bus to Lewes - train from there possibly).

And big thanks to Ernest/Hawk/British Bulldog for their help and inside info. Binfests aside, their help on this and the other train threads are always far more reliable than anything else out there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It all just goes back to what I put in an earlier post about you not having a clue how Network Rail operates.

Neither do the people which actually run Network Rail. It's never their fault is it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And big thanks to Ernest

I will second this. I do like a good rant but his information has proved invaluable in the past. And Beach Hut helped me a fair bit on Xmas eve.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
some have to deal with what the world throws at us.

And some rise to the challenge and others just wave the white flag. Let's not forget this is an industry which when confronted with an increase in passengers due to a music festival decided the only way to handle this is to shut the ****ing station for day. This is hardly dealing with what the world throws at you is it?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And some rise to the challenge and others just wave the white flag. Let's not forget this is an industry which when confronted with an increase in passengers due to a music festival decided the only way to handle this is to shut the ****ing station for day. This is hardly dealing with what the world throws at you is it?

Even I would agree on that decision, totally inert to say the least.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Latest NEWS from HQ

There will be a MASSIVE reduction in the number of football trains running tonight. The usual Brighton/Lewes/Brighton extras will NOT run before or after the match. The diverted Bton to Victoria and Victoria to Bton services will call at Falmer between 1730 and 2300

Seeing as there is no travel TAX tonight, the rail companies have no financial incentive to put on the extra services ???

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I got the 6.46 cattle truck via Lewes this morning and it did get me to Gatwick in time for my connection to Dorking. So it looks like the diversion via Lewes can work, the main problem being overcrowded.

I too would also like to add my thanks to Ernest and HtS for providing genuinely useful info during these situations. It is utterly invaluable.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
It all just goes back to what I put in an earlier post about you not having a clue how Network Rail operates.

Ha ha. You just won't let it lie will you.

Maybe I don't have a clue how they operate, nothing I can influence either. I can only go on what I see, and I see reguarly.

The fact is, the line is closed. It's their responsibility, they failed. End of.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Latest NEWS from HQ

There will be a MASSIVE reduction in the number of football trains running tonight. The usual Brighton/Lewes/Brighton extras will NOT run before or after the match. The diverted Bton to Victoria and Victoria to Bton services will call at Falmer between 1730 and 2300

Not sure I can quite cope with the ironies and contradictions in my head. I didn't get a ticket for tonight because I had a meeting in Surrey that normally runs late. That is now cancelled and replaced with a conference call thanks to the train chaos. However, I still think I will watch on TV - thanks to the train chaos!

BTW not blaming NR or Southern for this one. A combination of a winter the likes of which I've never seen and the decision donkey's ago to build that section below the water table are to blame. As an atheist I'd say 'act of nature'. People have been warning of the dangers on here for over a week. I did "like" in an unfortunate way the tweet from Brighton Station informing people one of the replacement buses had crashed in to a shop. Now THAT'S incompetence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here