Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*TRAIN NEWS* Brighton main line closed tomorrow

Yoda

English & European
No, it was 3 minutes. Since Network Rail have recently allowed software developers to use their realtime train data, you can track a train now at any point in its journey, including arrival times, how much it was delayed by at what station etc - useful for delay claims. No idea of a website, but there is a couple out there.

It's so accurate though isn't it. I was looking at the train on my Network Rail app on my phone coming back from the Hull game. It said I had already arrived at London Road, when we had only just left Falmer.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
It's so accurate though isn't it. I was looking at the train on my Network Rail app on my phone coming back from the Hull game. It said I had already arrived at London Road, when we had only just left Falmer.

Thats the NRE app though, that isnt accurate and i suspect that was said because of how the signalling is on the Brighton - Lewes line - the next signal after Falmer is at London Road, so NRE had incorrectly assumed you had already arrived.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Corrected and it isnt a train on fire, but a fire on the tracks - probably something to do with the 3rd rail. Western side of Victoria Station evacuated and closed - fire service on scene.

You couldn't make it up could you...! What a shower of shite

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
You couldn't make it up could you...! What a shower of shite

No different to an electrical fire which could accidentally start in a house. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a load of rubbish.......which touched the 3rd rail and caught light.

EDIT - Some newspapers were caught between the 18.47 Victoria - Ore service's shoe gear and started smouldering - nothing major in the end. Of course the area was evacuated as a precaution and electric supply isolated.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Thats the NRE app though, that isnt accurate and i suspect that was said because of how the signalling is on the Brighton - Lewes line - the next signal after Falmer is at London Road, so NRE had incorrectly assumed you had already arrived.

It's not just the NRE app as that's how the main TD system works anyway, It can be a bit confusing for those that don't understand it but it's simple enough and it works.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Thats all but a given isnt it !! Still, more reliable than the old signals - this new centre at Three Bridges where Southern's control will also be based should speed up trains getting moving again too, as they can communicate directly and quicker......apparently, though i wouldnt hold my breath with that.

They might be outdated but the old semaphore signals were very reliable hence why they've been in operation for as long as they have, Where there will be a big difference is the signalling regulations that will permit more trains to run as they can run signal to signal rather than block section to block section.
It's good that the controllers are going to be based at the new signalling centre but whether it's going to speed things up during disruption remains to be seen, There are times you can only move trains as fast as it takes the TOC's controllers to decide what they want doing with their trains.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Warning to anyone using West Worthing. Subway has been closed owing to an inch of watrr floods. Once the barrier is down you cannot cross platforms. Lots of peopld missing trains.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Warning to anyone using West Worthing. Subway has been closed owing to an inch of watrr floods. Once the barrier is down you cannot cross platforms. Lots of peopld missing trains.

Jul 7, 2003

Cheers for that - will be heading out from there shortly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here