Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tour de blabla

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's all about walking,cycling is a lazy way of walking,i walked from the Five ways to the Marina and back up and down bear road...But in all seriousness we have become lazy,so lazy that a 10 minute walk,or 5 on a push bike has become a car ride..

Well...I cycle to work. Seven miles each way, it takes me 25 minutes per journey. People are astounded when they ask me where I commute from, as if a seven mile bike ride was somehow comparable to scaling the North face of the Eiger or something.

More people commute by bike now, but still not enough.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Well...I cycle to work. Seven miles each way, it takes me 25 minutes per journey. People are astounded when they ask me where I commute from, as if a seven mile bike ride was somehow comparable to scaling the North face of the Eiger or something.

That's good that you do,lot's of benefits,do you do it all year round? even if you do,i applaud you,me personally driving on the roads all day every day i will just say i,rather not risk it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That's good that you do,lot's of benefits,do you do it all year round? even if you do,i applaud you,me personally driving on the roads all day every day i will just say i,rather not risk it.

Yes, all year. I only won't do it if it's been snowing, and there's ice on the roads/cycle paths.

D

Deleted member 22389

I get the same from people. People have become lazy and rely too much on their cars for non essential journeys. Cycle past the school in the morning the place is like a car park, everybody getting uptight, nobody can move. Why are people not walking their kids to school if they can do it? I used to walk to school rain or shine because there was only one car in the household. You get healthier, the kids get healthier and the roads become clearer. No wonder we have an obesity problem.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Oh, and this "getting in the way of cars" bit. How long do you think you get delayed by cyclists for? Do you think they ever add more than 30 seconds to your journey time, and that's cumulative?

For God's sake, it's not your road, it belongs to all of us. If you are looking for a selfish wanker, perhaps you need to look closer to home.

:lol:

I actually cycle to and from work but I ride on the pavement because I'm conscious of being a wanker for using the road and upsetting decent motorists, such as myself.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
:lol:

I actually cycle to and from work but I ride on the pavement because I'm conscious of being a wanker for using the road and upsetting decent motorists, such as myself.

Decent motorists make allowances for other road users, they don't get cross with them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd like to know why cyclists feel the need to get in the way of cars on the road when they have a dedicated cycle path 20 meters away. Selfish wankers I say.
A point worth responding to even if it is heavily laced with classic WUM material.

As Pogue says, it would be nice if they were fit for journey purpose.

But also it would be nice if they actually were dedicated cycle paths.
Halving the pavement and painting it red, doesn't make it a cycle path.

They certainly aren't safely maintained and they aren't respected by pedestrians by the ones old enough to know better.
Let alone those that aren't.

Given the choice of hitting a stray toddler at 25 mph, or being hit by an articulated lorry at 25 mph, I'm Team Lorry.
If I'm doing a 5 mph journey, I'll cycle path it, if one is there and in anyway connected to where people might actually want to cycle too.

As a cyclist it's safer for everybody if I'm the one in the position of being killed to death if worst comes to the worst.
I can control my space on the road, I can compensate for piss poor selfish fat drivers.
I can't control my space on a cycle path.

For all I know the person walking in front will try to assault me, as I ring my bell to make him aware of my approaching.
(Old skool reference for old timie NSCers)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
As I do, but not when they have a dedicated cycle path about 10 feet away. I might take my car on the cycle path next to the road and see what happens.

Often, the trouble with cycle paths is that there are loads of cars parked in them.

Often, the problem is that they are full of potholes and covered in crap - usually sharp crap, the sort that will give you a puncture.

Often, the problem is pedestrians, who are unaware of the reason for the strip of red Tarmac. This is particularly the case between the West Pier and Peter Pan's on the seafront.

I always use cycle lanes and cycle paths where it is safe to do so, and I suspect that is the case for most cyclists.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't be bothered to read this thread but how far in was it before some bell-end trotted out the inaccurate line about road tax?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The worst cycle lane in Brighton is from the level to the seafront. It's goes this was and that for a bit then it just dissapears and you end up in no man's land. The one on the seafront is always full of pedestrians and just needs a fence along it, but is currently unusable. The one from Coldean to Sussex University is so bumpy it gives you RSI. The one on the western side of Dyke Road is full of parked cars. The one on Lancing seafront is on, but people who own the beach huts there shout abuse at you if you go above 2mph.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
footballers don't take performance enhancing drugs???

I'm pretty confident none of the England WC team have been taking performance enhancing drugs.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I can't be bothered to read this thread but how far in was it before some bell-end trotted out the inaccurate line about road tax?

It's quite a good read, HT, full of ignorant ramblings from people who hate anyone on a bike. The road tax line came early, and even when he had it explained, the OP continued to talk about it. It needed a second explanation, but I still think that he believes road tax exists.

1937. Road tax was abolished in 1937.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
For cyclists moaning about pedestrians getting in the way see motorists point of view re cyclists. Tis the same, Shirley?

I'm not moaning about pedestrians getting in the way though. People in the area I mentioned are blissfully unaware of the cycle lane, but why shouldn't they be? Most are tourists - they are not thinking about anything except for the pier, ice cream, the sea etc. it's a stupid place for a dual use cycle lane.

So it becomes safer for a cyclist to use the road in this area. The public highway. So, many do.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
A bicycle is also known as a Push bike,be a clue there...for certain scenarios..

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'd like to know why cyclists feel the need to get in the way of cars on the road when they have a dedicated cycle path 20 meters away. Selfish wankers I say.

This

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here