Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tour de blabla

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
A point worth responding to even if it is heavily laced with classic WUM material.

As Pogue says, it would be nice if they were fit for journey purpose.

But also it would be nice if they actually were dedicated cycle paths.
Halving the pavement and painting it red, doesn't make it a cycle path.

They certainly aren't safely maintained and they aren't respected by pedestrians by the ones old enough to know better.
Let alone those that aren't.

Given the choice of hitting a stray toddler at 25 mph, or being hit by an articulated lorry at 25 mph, I'm Team Lorry.
If I'm doing a 5 mph journey, I'll cycle path it, if one is there and in anyway connected to where people might actually want to cycle too.

As a cyclist it's safer for everybody if I'm the one in the position of being killed to death if worst comes to the worst.
I can control my space on the road, I can compensate for piss poor selfish fat drivers.
I can't control my space on a cycle path.

For all I know the person walking in front will try to assault me, as I ring my bell to make him aware of my approaching.
(Old skool reference for old timie NSCers)

Can you stop calling drivers FAT its extremely IGNORANT to think that.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Brilliantly argued. It's tough to know how to counter your in depth, well thought through and concise point. Obviously you are right, and the volume of traffic has nothing to do with the amount of cars on the road.

It has everything to do with the two side by side cyclists not using their dedicated path though.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
A bicycle is also known as a Push bike,be a clue there...for certain scenarios..

Old fashioned name that relates to the force on the pedals needed to make a bicycle move. When I am commuting, I am on a time schedule like many others. Roads are public highways, and if it makes more sense to use them, I will. They were not designed for exclusive use by car drivers.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Brilliantly argued. It's tough to know how to counter your in depth, well thought through and concise point. Obviously you are right, and the volume of traffic has nothing to do with the amount of cars on the road.

You* not your

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I made the mistake of going to a friends house in Ashdown forest to watch the tour when it came through Sussex. Wow, A few dozen dull advertising vans and then 30 seconds as the peloton came through and then a few dozen support vehicles.
I am not sure what I expected, but I have never ever been to a school/village fete as boring as that.

I am sure the riders are extremely fit, but as a spectator sport it is utter unadulterated poo.

Its a bit of a spectacle when the circus that is Le Tour comes to town, but you're right, it's definitely a sport that is best watched on TV, if only for the stunning scenery.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It has everything to do with the two side by side cyclists not using their dedicated path though.

Two side by side riders are obeying the Highway Code.

If there is a cycle path near them I would be amazed. Cycle paths are found in towns, and you hardly ever get cyclists two abreast in town. We are too conscious of our own safety, with impatient drivers who can't abide a 10 second delay taking risks with our lives.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Old fashioned name that relates to the force on the pedals needed to make a bicycle move. When I am commuting, I am on a time schedule like many others. Roads are public highways, and if it makes more sense to use them, I will. They were not designed for exclusive use by car drivers.

Err yes they were, cycle paths were built in the 1930s and its taken this long for you still not to use them!?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Err yes they were, cycle paths were built in the 1930s and its taken this long for you still not to use them!?

Roads were built before cars existed. They are not designed just for cars. Public Highways - the clue is in the name.

Cycle paths may have been built in the 1930s but they still haven't got them right.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I admire your persistence [MENTION=27125]Wrong-Direction[/MENTION], you've had an amazing thread, chapeau.

The line was cast early with road tax.
Blinding ignoring the facts still didn't stop people biting.
Then throwing in a few insults.
Finally adding a few more 'red rag' tropes.

It's been a brilliant tenacious job.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I admire your persistence [MENTION=27125]Wrong-Direction[/MENTION], you've had an amazing thread, chapeau.

The line was cast early with road tax.
Blinding ignoring the facts still didn't stop people biting.
Then throwing in a few insults.
Finally adding a few more 'red rag' tropes.

It's been a brilliant tenacious job.

[emoji57]

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Can you stop calling drivers FAT its extremely IGNORANT to think that.

It's actually ok to be fat on the outside,some thin people can be obese inside,storing fat around their internal organs,i'm happy with my party 6 pack,purchased at great cost over the years i hasten to add.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
We really should extend the anti-cycling sentiment to runners.

Not really a sport is it?
Marathon runners are only really quite good joggers.
Elite marathon runners are the best quite good joggers.
Runners use pavements and pavements are for pedestrians.
Runners also run on roads where there are no pavements, so cause vehicles to slow up sometimes. And they don't pay road tax.
Running should be banned.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
We really should extend the anti-cycling sentiment to runners.

Not really a sport is it?
Marathon runners are only really quite good joggers.
Elite marathon runners are the best quite good joggers.
Runners use pavements and pavements are for pedestrians.
Runners also run on roads where there are no pavements, so cause vehicles to slow up sometimes. And they don't pay road tax.
Running should be banned.

Agreed

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Yeah. And horse riding. Milk vans too. People walking their dogs, ban them. Those vehicles that sweep the sides of the road, ban them all. NOTHING should be allowed to slow my car down for even one second.

In fact, all cars should be banned except for mine.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Yeah. And horse riding. Milk vans too. People walking their dogs, ban them. Those vehicles that sweep the sides of the road, ban them all. NOTHING should be allowed to slow my car down for even one second.

I don't really think that is fair?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Think you're going a bit over the top there Manhole, all of those things are faster then a cyclist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here