Top Gear's Clarkson suspended by BBC

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In principle, GB could take a libel action and prove in a UK court that his French conviction was unsafe, and therefore someone saying 'he kicks the sh*t out of women' could be successfully prosecuted for defamation.
Agreed - that could be libellous - but stating (the fact) that he was convicted in a French Court cannot be denied. He was. And even if an English court decides that conviction was unsafe, he will still have been convicted at one time.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I had a dream once.....no nightmare, that I was at a dinner party with Clarkson, Piers Morgan and Noel Edmonds.
I didn't really but imagine that.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Why would people sign a petition. He doesnt give a s**t about those who do other than his ego and his wallet. I quite like the programme but he is a bit of a knob and am indifferent to what happens

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If I punched someone at work I would be sacked. That is gross misconduct.

Why should that be different for anyone else, especially in an organisation that I, along with most on here, fund ?

If Jeremy Clarkson punched someone else, he should be sacked. Otherwise this is further evidence of inequality between the 'establishment' and ordinary folk. Whether he likes it or not, Jeremy Clarkson, a friend of the Prime Minister, is the 'establishment'.

If ever I do find myself facing a charge at work for hitting someone, I like to think Mr Cameron might also take a look at the usefulness I have offered the company's purpose and say "I hope this can be sorted out".

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Channel four reporter just said clarkson had been in the pub keeping a helicopters waiting to fly him to the next location for three hours then had altercation after being told they had stopped serving diner where they were then staying overnight....

Book Clarkson on an Argentinian helicopter, problem solved !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You always see this trotted out whenever a high-profile celeb or sportsman behaves like a twunt in their place of work and gets away with it. "It should be the same for them as it is for anyone else" is the cry. And yes, by rights it should.

The fact is, if anyone in an "ordinary" job thumps someone at their place of work, then yes, they would almost certainly be sacked. But that's largely because we are all a bunch of anonymous Joe-Schmo's who are by and large very easily replaceable. There are FASANDS of IT bods, office penpushers, nurses, carers, forklift truck drivers etc etc. You thump someone, then you're almost certainly out the door. Whereas someone who has risen to the absolute pinnacle of their field and gained celebrity status as a result is not so easily replaceable as the likes of you and me. So the rules are different, because their value to the business is different. Its unlikely a football club would ever sack a player for assaulting someone on the pitch because they'd be writing off a substantial amount in £££ from any potential transfer fee. Whereas us, we're largely worthless by comparison. Easily and cheaply replaced.

I'm not saying its right. But that's the simple reality.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You always see this trotted out whenever a high-profile celeb or sportsman behaves like a twunt in their place of work and gets away with it. "It should be the same for them as it is for anyone else" is the cry. And yes, by rights it should.

The fact is, if anyone in an "ordinary" job thumps someone at their place of work, then yes, they would almost certainly be sacked. But that's largely because we are all a bunch of anonymous Joe-Schmo's who are by and large very easily replaceable. There are FASANDS of IT bods, office penpushers, nurses, carers, forklift truck drivers etc etc. You thump someone, then you're almost certainly out the door. Whereas someone who has risen to the absolute pinnacle of their field and gained celebrity status as a result is not so easily replaceable as the likes of you and me. So the rules are different, because their value to the business is different. Its unlikely a football club would ever sack a player for assaulting someone on the pitch because they'd be writing off a substantial amount in £££ from any potential transfer fee. Whereas us, we're largely worthless by comparison. Easily and cheaply replaced.

I'm not saying its right. But that's the simple reality.

While I get your point:
1. There are loads of people out there who contribute far more to their workplace/job than anybody has any right to expect, and who can be difficult to replace.
2. Nobody is totally irreplaceable. Would the Generation Game be the same without Bruce Forsyth? Would the One Show be the same without Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley?

How about Top Gear with Chris Evans, or Steve Coogan, or any number of other people who are car mad?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
So, an allegation has been made against an employee (on a "final warning" already - though no self respecting HR department makes that sort of thing public).

Said employee is suspended whilst the incident is investigated. So far, normal procedure as far as I can tell.

If proved true, then disciplinary action should follow as per the BBC's internal policies, presumably up to and including dismissal.
If proved false, then employee returns to work and no more is said,

I don't care what Clarkson's persona, on or off screen is like. All parties in this should be given due respect and the process allowed to proceed to its conclusion free of any bias. I know that this is a bit naive, given the public profile of the accused, but even so.

Muppets, bereft of any real facts or knowledge of the case, voting for his reinstatement? :facepalm:

I like Top Gear, but if he's guilty, he should be sacked. If he's not, then he shouldn't.

So I'm guessing the Prime Minister wading in with his opinion doesn't help!

solly

Aug 31, 2005
I quite like the entertainment value of JC, wouldnt go out of my way to meet him. He wont be everyones cup of tea, I dont particularly care what others think of my entertainment choices as I dont care about theirs. But it seems a lot of huffing about nothing. Sounds like a typical pub or alchohol fuelled handbags type thing. The "victim" should probably take a spine growing pill. If JC has wronged him then JC should apologise, the victim should accept the apology after all no-one was injured or died. Move on and let Sunday evening return to normality and for those who dont like TG theres always 500 other channels of drivel to watch

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
One thing that does make me smile is that while retains this impression of aloofness about the whole thing - The 'banter' on twitter with his chums, the witty retorts to journos, that sort of thing - His face tells a different story, the pressure is starting to tell. Sadly, that makes me very happy. Doesn't he look a frigging old 54 as well, couldn't believe he's only that age.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Doesn't he look a frigging old 54 as well, couldn't believe he's only that age.
I think his lack of PC extends to his boozing and smoking. He really doesn't give a toss what he looks like. Quite refreshing in a way. I thought he would last on Top Gear until he could no longer squeeze behind the steering wheel, a point which we seemed to be fast approaching when suspension struck.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I think his lack of PC extends to his boozing and smoking. He really doesn't give a toss what he looks like. Quite refreshing in a way. I thought he would last on Top Gear until he could no longer squeeze behind the steering wheel, a point which we seemed to be fast approaching when suspension struck.
Ha, fair point!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I had a dream once.....no nightmare, that I was at a dinner party with Clarkson, Piers Morgan and Noel Edmonds.
I didn't really but imagine that.

Clarkson would be a lifesaver in that company.

Replace Clarkson with Bono and Sting and then you'd have what you could easily call a nightmare

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The "victim" should probably take a spine growing pill. If JC has wronged him then JC should apologise, the victim should accept the apology after all no-one was injured or died. Move on and let Sunday evening return to normality and for those who dont like TG theres always 500 other channels of drivel to watch

"the victim" has apparently not made a complaint, so I assume someone else who witnessed it has made the complaint.

For those saying they would be sacked if they thumped someone:
1. According to Clarkson and May he hasn't hit anyone, but threw a punch.
2. I've worked in places where fights have happened and people haven't been sacked, disciplinary, but not sacked. I appreciate on the totting up process Clarkson may have used up his lives.

Ashley Cole shot someone with an air-rifle and got a fine! John Hartson kicked someone in the head, and was fined.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
JC seems to have been quite "jolly" and "lively" at times on Top Gear over the last couple of year. He obviously really enjoys the show at times but perhaps he's been overdoing it and a break would be good for him His interview with Nicholas Hoult where he poked NH's cheek and squeezed his nose was most odd (and crap). That Stewart Lee /Top Gear clip is brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports