Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Gear's Clarkson suspended by BBC

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
As an occasional viewer of TG and not a car fanatic, I have to say I wouldn't watch it without JC and co. I watched 5th Gear ONCE ..... what a steaming pile of turd that was !!!! No JC, no Top Gear and the BBC would be foolish to let the income stop ( and no doubt then blame dropping income on their desire to increase the licence fee ).

EDIT : and to all those that find him objectionable in some way, learn to use your f**king off switch then.

Switching off isn't an option for me, I never switch it on. I don't like loud mouthed bullies, who are that far up their own backsides they assume they are unaccountable. I further suggest if you don't like people's opinions of 'Top Gear' or Clarkson in particular don't read this f**king thread.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Reckon it's a stunt.

He'll get 'sacked' and replaced. And then be put in a STIG costume and be revealed. Or something.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Whatever you think of Clarkson ( personally I think he's a bit of a tit) the thing is he's been accused of trying to HIT someone. He's been suspended by his employer while they investigate an allegation of physical assault. This isn't about him being a matyr to political correctness, this is an issue of whether or not he's the sort of idiot that has tried to punch someone at work.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Whatever you think of Clarkson ( personally I think he's a bit of a tit) the thing is he's been accused of trying to HIT someone. He's been suspended by his employer while they investigate an allegation of physical assault. This isn't about him being a matyr to political correctness, this is an issue of whether or not he's the sort of idiot that has tried to punch someone at work.

According to the original 'Stig' (is that *wat in Finnish?) on R5 just now, punching someone isn't a serious crime and we should just laugh it off and carry on. I lost count of the number of times he said 'Banter' or 'lads'. Great mates with Jazzer apparently, very cringey.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
He filmed part of his episode of 'Who Do You Think You Are' at my workplace. We went to great lengths to accommodate him and one of my team spent a long time with him and the production team. The final editing and added commentary were purely aimed at making him seem as clever and us as stupid and archaic as possible. Stupid things like him insisting on being filmed coming in the back entrance and then making snide remarks about us making him come in that way in the final edit. Was never a fan before but certainly wasn't after that.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Made millions doing what he loved, its no wonder people are jealous of him really.

He already had millions before he started. His parents made an absolute fortune from selling Paddington Bear stuffed toys.

I'm not particularly bothered about Clarkson one way or the other, but this latest series has been tedious beyond belief and completely bereft of amusing or original ideas. I've forced myself to keep watching in the hope that something funny will happen out of some misguided sense of brand loyalty, but it's been getting masochistic. We all know Peogeots are a bit crap, but sticking on a false moustache and pretending not to know how to drive to illustrate the point? That's the stuff of a primary school end-of-term revue, not prime time entertainment. Perhaps it was time to call it a day anyway.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Precisely. Whether or not he has previous is pretty much irrelevant if he's found guilty of assault in the workplace - that's clear gross misconduct and he should be fired immediately with no compo. It gets more tricky if he's found guilty of throwing a punch that missed. If he did that, then that should be another cross in the bad boys' column, which, if he genuinely was on a final warning would ordinarily lead to dismissal on a totting up basis.

The only way that I could see him getting away with this in a "normal" employer is if a) it's all bollox and he did nothing (unlikely) or b) the person who reported it wasn't the producer and the producer who was the target decides not to give damning evidence. If Auntie wants to keep Clarkson, and I suspect they do, it's option b) that I think will be exercised...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
What I find fascinating is that a good many of the shall we say self proclaimed left of centre types on this forum seem to be delighted with this news, why is that?

I didn't hear the story until watching the news this morning and I said to my wife; 'Oh well,that will give all the righteous indignant leftie types on NSC something to celebrate'.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
I didn't hear the story until watching the news this morning and I said to my wife; 'Oh well,that will give all the righteous indignant leftie types on NSC something to celebrate'.

Exactly!
Also if he did punch a producer then that is assault and should be reported to the police.
The BBC are a bunch of political left wing idiots.Talking of.....that cringe news report on the Millibands,news they couldn't make it up.Edit,they did.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I further suggest if you don't like people's opinions of 'Top Gear' or Clarkson in particular don't read this f**king thread.

A thread about Clarkson isn't the right place to voice a pro-Clarkson opinion then ? What a bizarre idea.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your house, with that sort of repartee, the long winter evenings must simply fly by.....

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
We all know Peogeots are a bit crap, but sticking on a false moustache and pretending not to know how to drive to illustrate the point? That's the stuff of a primary school end-of-term revue, not prime time entertainment. Perhaps it was time to call it a day anyway.

I found that bit bloody funny. Oh well I guess it's back to primary school for me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

If you were lamped by a work colleague in the process of your job, would you question his politics or expect him to be severely disciplined ?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I actually used to like Clarkson but, over time, the line seems to have blurred between who he (seemingly) was and the character that he likes to portray.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I actually used to like Clarkson but, over time, the line seems to have blurred between who he (seemingly) was and the character that he likes to portray.

I am sure I remember people who had come across him telling me that he was fine in real life a few years ago and the character was an exaggeration, but that certainly isn't the case with people who have met him more recently. If he punched someone then it's gross misconduct and he has to go.

Unless it's true that he punched Piers Morgan, in which case i can see some mitigating circumstances :wink:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm not scrolling through a long thread on Clarkson so it might have already been mentioned but it just all reminds me of that Viz letter where the guy writing in said that one of the questions in his pub quiz was, " Which word beginning with the letter C does one associate with the BBC TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson " ?

Of course shouting out Cvnt was not what the quizmaster had on his sheet.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Clarkson will have to gi as this little episode could cost the BBC a six figure sum in costs. Lots of the footage for the remaining shows has been filmed, and scripts written etc. and it will all have to be canned and shows rescheduled. This all costs cash at a time when the BBC is under ever mire scrutiny over the licence fee. It's goodbye Mr Clarkson if proved.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your house, with that sort of repartee, the long winter evenings must simply fly by.....

Don't worry Mikeyjh, it was a passing comment that has turned out to be pretty accurate.I can assure you I didn't waste much energy on it, unlike all the huffing and puffing coming from the usuals!
Happy days,the long winter evenings have flown by and thank God it is nearly spring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here