Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom is to blame for the mess we are in....

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
TK wanted more money, and according to his agent there were plenty of clubs willing to meet his demands in the Premier League, so the club let him go. He is currently warming the bench at Wolves, a club who have conceded 14 goals in their last 4 games.

Upson was offered a contract, and rejected it as we was given the chance to play for Leicester in the Premier League. He has to date made no appearances for them after suffering an injury.

Andrea Orlandi is playing for Blackpool, a side even worse than the Albion. I thought he was great for us in his first season, less so in his second, and deserved a contract.
Much prefer this Kieran then the one that talks about shitting in sheds and blatant homosexuality

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I

There is no way that BHA is a financial investment. Man Utd are probably the only club in the country where it would be possible to make back even close to the money that TB has poured into BHA, and continues to pour in: 200m and rising.

The Community Stadium (and soon hotel) are very good investments. (Even if we didn't have a football team) I see posts saying Tony Bloom has 'given' the club 200 mil but I have always been under the impression it was a loan? The loan being paid back by the fans/income generated from the club?

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think it would show that being chairman of BHA increased his exposure in business circles, thus increasing his trade, with an increase in turnover/profit...

It intrigues me that we don't normally accept much of the spin that comes out of the club, but when it comes to 'official' loss figures, some are very sclerotic in their acceptance...

And while I'm in no way alluding to any possible 'incorrect' accounting, creativity is a trait highly valued in accountants...

Except it wouldn't at all, it would just show that his businesses were doing better at the moment, which could be down to any number of things.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I hate the argument that because bloom has invested heavily, he should be backed.

It's an investment as people have said. He will more than likely get that money back.

And let's not forget, we're the ones spending out of our pockets. If we don't like the product we're receiving, then we have a right to complain about whatever we like.

It's not like the stadium is a gift, his done it to make f**king money, his a businessman.

If this were any other type of business, where we were being failed, no one would have a problem with slating the chairman.

So to summarise, his a businessman, trying to make money with something he enjoys. And could quite possibly be f**king it up because he doesn't know how to run a football club!

Spot on and I'd imagine he's made a fair few quid back already.
Yes we have officially been losing money every season but I'd love to know where the Amex naming rights money went, the Amex shirt sponsorship money went, the Amex training ground naming money went, the Nike kit money went, along with the circa £15m in player sales money went......so along with tg vast amount we pay each season on tickets and per game on food/drink, merchandise etc we have a pretty good income. It's not going on the squad and if the stadium eats it all up then we simply can't afford the AMEX and certainly didn't need to spend £20 my on a training ground (£10m would have done with the additional £10m spent on player recruitment)
My guess is quite a large amount of that money has gone directly to bloom to recoup some of his outlay at the expense of the first team squad.
And I don't think he will be handing it back anytime soon

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The Community Stadium (and soon hotel) are very good investments. (Even if we didn't have a football team) I see posts saying Tony Bloom has 'given' the club 200 mil but I have always been under the impression it was a loan? The loan being paid back by the fans/income generated from the club?

The Amex without a football team would be worth not much more than the land that it's built on.

The club does not make a profit; it makes a loss and probably will never do any better than break even. How is this going to pay back the 200m loan? Answer: It's not. TB will just covert that loan to equity.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Except it wouldn't at all, it would just show that his businesses were doing better at the moment, which could be down to any number of things.

You could be right of course, but I would reiterate, with creative accountancy, any premise can be proved or disproved. We will never know the truth, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to take 'official' figures with a pinch of salt

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Based on what we know about the club accounts, I can't see how anyone can think the club is anything other than a massive drain on TBs wallet. He has just about zero chance of getting his money back, let alone making a profit.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
There is a lot of bollocks in this thread.

We've been doing well and singing TBs praises for the last 3 years. (including most of this season). It looks like though, he's got a dud manager and had a bad summer where he's allowed some deals to go through which he shouldn't. If we're sitting in 22nd come February/March and we've still got SH at the helm with no signs of improvement, THEN people can really start questioning Blooms ability to lead this football club. But up until this point he has been an absolutely wonderful chairman. He is one of us, don't forget that.

I just think he's not got much of a footballing brain. So he relies on advice from his team. As a collective group, the team behind TB has cocked up this season. I'd guess that the overall aim for them was to reduce costs whilst keeping us competitive. That meant having a decent manager who could perhaps grind out a dirty 0-0 every now and then when we needed it. What it didn't need was a manager to take a delicate squad of players and make them go gung ho in every game. Repeatedly.

3-0 at Derby after 25 minutes was the biggest indication for me (and likely Bloom) that Sami is certainly NOT the man to lead this particular group of players.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yes we have officially been losing money every season but I'd love to know where the Amex naming rights money went, the Amex shirt sponsorship money went, the Amex training ground naming money went, the Nike kit money went, along with the circa £15m in player sales money went......so along with tg vast amount we pay each season on tickets and per game on food/drink, merchandise etc we have a pretty good income. It's not going on the squad and if the stadium eats it all up then we simply can't afford the AMEX and certainly didn't need to spend £20 my on a training ground (£10m would have done with the additional £10m spent on player recruitment)
My guess is quite a large amount of that money has gone directly to bloom to recoup some of his outlay at the expense of the first team squad.

The last set of accounts showed that he had converted 40m of the loan to the club into shares.
If he is taking money out of the club, who is financing the rumoured 1m a month loss the club are making?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

He's taken nothing out.

Yes we have officially been losing money every season but I'd love to know where the Amex naming rights money went, the Amex shirt sponsorship money went, the Amex training ground naming money went, the Nike kit money went, along with the circa £15m in player sales money went......

It went on player wages.

so along with tg vast amount we pay each season on tickets and per game on food/drink, merchandise etc we have a pretty good income. It's not going on the squad and if the stadium eats it all up then we simply can't afford the AMEX and certainly didn't need to spend £20 my on a training ground (£10m would have done with the additional £10m spent on player recruitment)

Correct, 'we' can't afford the Amex, however Tony Bloom can.

You are totally incorrect.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
The last set of accounts showed that he had converted 40m of the loan to the club into shares.
If he is taking money out of the club, who is financing the rumoured 1m a month loss the club are making?

Well good question. I think the next set of accounts will show Amex sponsorship of the training ground and possibly the Nike money so will be interesting.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
He's taken nothing out.

It went on player wages.

Correct, 'we' can't afford the Amex, however Tony Bloom can.

You are totally incorrect.

Correct, 'we' can't afford the Amex, however Tony Bloom can

Maybe so, but he cant or won't subsidise the losses as he has already said. So maybe he can but won't.

And if you honestly believe ALL the sponsorship money has gone on wages then we should consider ourselves very fortunate to have Barber on board who negotiated the Nike deal otherwise, if as you say, we wouldn't have been able to afford to pay our own players!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There is a lot of bollocks in this thread.

We've been doing well and singing TBs praises for the last 3 years. (including most of this season). It looks like though, he's got a dud manager and had a bad summer where he's allowed some deals to go through which he shouldn't. If we're sitting in 22nd come February/March and we've still got SH at the helm with no signs of improvement, THEN people can really start questioning Blooms ability to lead this football club. But up until this point he has been an absolutely wonderful chairman. He is one of us, don't forget that.

I just think he's not got much of a footballing brain. So he relies on advice from his team. As a collective group, the team behind TB has cocked up this season. I'd guess that the overall aim for them was to reduce costs whilst keeping us competitive. That meant having a decent manager who could perhaps grind out a dirty 0-0 every now and then when we needed it. What it didn't need was a manager to take a delicate squad of players and make them go gung ho in every game. Repeatedly.

3-0 at Derby after 25 minutes was the biggest indication for me (and likely Bloom) that Sami is certainly NOT the man to lead this particular group of players.

I agree with you totally. If TB has recruited a dud this season then it's a risk that all football clubs take, Chelsea have done it (Avram Grant, Scholari), United have done it (Moyes), Spurs have done it (take your pick) and we have done it too, and will do it again during our lifetimes.

As for some of the accusations about motives, Tony Bloom the businessman and Tony Bloom the lifelong Albion football fan are different parts of the same person. The latter owns and subsidises the club, the former is a very successful investor, speculator and businessman.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well good question. I think the next set of accounts will show Amex sponsorship of the training ground and possibly the Nike money so will be interesting.

Wrong again. The next accounts we see, which have already gone to the FL to prove FFP compliance, cover the 2013-14 season during which we were still with Errea and the training centre had yet to open.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Correct, 'we' can't afford the Amex, however Tony Bloom can

Maybe so, but he cant or won't subsidise the losses as he has already said. So maybe he can but won't.

And if you honestly believe ALL the sponsorship money has gone on wages then we should consider ourselves very fortunate to have Barber on board who negotiated the Nike deal otherwise, if as you say, we wouldn't have been able to afford to pay our own players!!

You're right, maybe he can but he won't (although he has underwritten the losses for the last 8 years), but surely that's his choice. The Nike deal is nothing special, won't even pay Chris O'Grady's wages.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Guessing really isn't your forte, is it :lolol:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It was clear to most people Tony Bloom made a mistake in hiring Sami a couple of months ago. He is getting a lot of criticism, and rightly so, because he will not stand up and change things. Digging deeper, there could be very good reasons why Sami hasn't been dispatched yet, but its a hole that the club, lead by BLoom, and dug itselfs over the years, and deserves criticism.

After all, they still haven't said why Poyet and Garica walked away from the "most sort after job outside the premiership"

I don't mind the criticism. I've got no problem with anything you've written on this thread, or even Ernest because he's not in wind up mode. Constructive criticism is fine.

It's the c**ty, finger wagging, accusatory tone that some of these criticisms take that pisses me off, it just shows a complete lack of respect and is fickle beyond belief.
Bearing in mind Tony Bloom's stewardship might run over a decade or more, judging him so harshly on one mistake is just stupid to me. It doesn't fit in with the nature of the job, being a football chairman you're making appointments based largely on educated guesswork, sometimes you're going to get it wrong.

To give an analogy, I could sit outside a building site every day and watch a builder put up a house from scratch. He's put most of it up perfectly well but one day makes a mistake and puts a door handle on the wrong way round. It's not ok for me to start shouting at him and call him a c**t.

Also it's much easier to sack people when you haven't actually got to do it, as you've alluded to. I'm sure it's not quite as easy when you've got to pull the trigger and you know it's going to cost you 6 figures out of you're own pocket to do it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I hate the argument that because bloom has invested heavily, he should be backed.

It's an investment as people have said. He will more than likely get that money back.

And let's not forget, we're the ones spending out of our pockets. If we don't like the product we're receiving, then we have a right to complain about whatever we like.

It's not like the stadium is a gift, his done it to make f**king money, his a businessman.

If this were any other type of business, where we were being failed, no one would have a problem with slating the chairman.

So to summarise, his a businessman, trying to make money with something he enjoys. And could quite possibly be f**king it up because he doesn't know how to run a football club!

You've have to have the intelligence of a cucumber to actually believe any of this.

His got a point.

Exactly!

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton

And let's not forget, we're the ones spending out of our pockets. If we don't like the product we're receiving, then we have a right to complain about whatever we like. ,

Yea he dosnt know how to run a football club..... he shoulf be throwing all his money at the playing side, forgeting about all this nonsence of building an academy that keeps us going for years. Just tne hear and now. Doesn't matter what happens when he leaves :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here