Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom: I put it as a challenge to you to get more songs, get more atmosphere going.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Sorry that doesn't wash with me, its just making excuses.

If 50, 100 or a few hundred people get on their feet together and more people follow suit then simply there's very little the stewards can do, thats why so many clubs get a way with it....you csnt kick that many people out.

Until there's a will for fans to get together and do something about it the atmsophere for all but a handful of games will be poor, people can blame sitting, the club, rupert murdoch, happy clapping fans or the fairy god mother all they like but the reality is its down to the fans!!
Believe me, they will ban you for taking such action.

Don't be fooled by the reasonable persona put forward by Barber etc. They can really be quite unpleasant and spiteful if their way is challenged at all.

They really really don't like it and I would strongly recommend against taking any direct action unless you want to give the football a miss for quite some time.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I agree with both Bloom and Barber it's up to the fans to improve atmosphere, if the club get involved the outcome will seem contrived and no one will get involved. The problem is we had loads of people on here a year or so ago making a real concerted effort to discuss and implement ways of improving atmosphere and they were shot down by large chunks of NSC, some passionate people were willing to give up their time and but were made to feel like twats in some cases, an oppertunity missed IMO.

Indeed. A few years back just before The Amex opened there was a group of us willing to meet up in a pub once a week for a few jars and discuss possible new songs, banners and so on, very informal but a chance to chat all things albion and come up with some tunes. A large part of NSC mocked this idea as laughable or cringeworthy and thus, it never happened. I now wish we had just stuck two fingers up to the poo-pooers and just got on with it, Their argument at the time was that songs will happen organically without pre-discussion, they were wrong. It is year 4 at the Amex now and people still cannot even co-ordinate a half decent SBTS.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Sorry to say it but one of the biggest problems is the attitude of many on here to new suggestions. Lots of really good ideas and songs are put forward but people find them 'embarrassing' or make them 'cringe'. Who gives a shit if the songs are not lyrically fantastic, most football songs aren't, it is all about creating a noise.

Palace sing some right old shit, try to make banners and create an atmosphere and do you know what? It works, it does not matter that the lyrics are a bit simple or even copied, they make a racket and that is what should happen at the Albion.

So, I would urge people to stop cringing or being embarrassed by certain songs, just get behind the team and make some noise.

Yep. Good post.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Make the north stand a Sit where you want stand. Maybe just try it for a game or two. Make it like an away game, and hopefully the atmosphere will follow suit. Everyone in there are season ticket holders anyway, so communicate that this is how its going to be.

It's such a shame that this is one of the most obvious ideas to help the atmosphere, at the same time as being one of the most unlikely things to happen.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Oh dear god is there anything Oscar hasn't been blamed for, yet?
Absolute drivel the atmosphere has ALWAYS been 'quiet' at the Amex, Goldstone & Withdean, unless there has been something to react against, opposing fans, the ref, etc.
We do not support the team, if anything we hinder them by audibly moaning and groaning when a pass is misplaced.

Hmmm...not 100% sure about the Goldstone bit. A decent pass, clever turn or crunching tackle by an Albion player always generated a roar, and even when things were a bit poor, a few rounds of 'Come on Brighton' used to keep things ticking over, or an ironic 'Football Genius'. Yes, there were games when it could be flat, but more often than not there was a buzz, especially in the last few years (yes reactive, but not to things on the pitch). Agree about the audible groaning, and don't forget the occasional numpty barracking a player having a bad game - does nothing but feed negativity.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmmm...not 100% sure about the Goldstone bit. A decent pass, clever turn or crunching tackle by an Albion player always generated a roar, and even when things were a bit poor, a few rounds of 'Come on Brighton' used to keep things ticking over, or an ironic 'Football Genius'. Yes, there were games when it could be flat, but more often than not there was a buzz, especially in the last few years (yes reactive, but not to things on the pitch). Agree about the audible groaning, and don't forget the occasional numpty barracking a player having a bad game - does nothing but feed negativity.
We only remember the good times, and we had plenty of them, at the Goldstone.

I can barely remember the Wednesday :lol: game, a month ago.

But The Albion v Bournemouth 3-3 on a wet Wednesday night with the place rocking and Ian Chapman striking a thunder******* into the top corner of the north stand goal will live with me forever.

There were 50 other games that season, and my memory might be prompted on 5 of them.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Be polite (as much as noise permits).
Wear THE shirt, or something equally unattractive in blue and white.
Stop being a miserable tosser or (stay at home, Seagull Player)
Stop trying to be a devisive posh b******d looking up your nose at Cheerers...and join in.
Consume between 2-4 units of alcoholic beverage before kick off.
Accept a reasonable (not manic) drummer.
Boo and shame Stewards who get carried away with their remit.
Employ my Mother in Law to scream (at anything, all the time).
Just a few ideas to liven up the Amex... IMHO. :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Be polite (as much as noise permits).
Wear THE shirt, or something equally unattractive in blue and white.
Stop being a miserable tosser or (stay at home, Seagull Player)
Stop trying to be a devisive posh b******d looking up your nose at Cheerers...and join in.
Consume between 2-4 units of alcoholic beverage before kick off.
Accept a reasonable (not manic) drummer.
Boo and shame Stewards who get carried away with their remit.
Employ my Mother in Law to scream (at anything, all the time).
Just a few ideas to liven up the Amex... IMHO. :thumbsup:

STICK your drum xx xxxx xxxx.

Apart from that :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Would it be possible to make the northstand, or at least some blocks of it, sit where you want? Still have season tickets for that section but let people sit where they want so the singers can congregate together. stupid idea?

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
The best atmosphere I can recall in recent times was playing 80 odd minutes with 9 men against Burnley... So I suggest that, as standard, we start with 9 men at home games, get the Amex rocking and only bring subs on if we are still in trouble for the last 15 mins....

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
the problem is that all the people who want to sing are all spread about. People in the west upper try and fail to sing, in the east upper some poor lonely sod tries and fails, if everyone was together, everyone would feel less silly about joining in and more would try to start other chants off.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
All we need every game is a really dodgy ref giving some really dodgy decisions and we'll have a great atmosphere.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
STICK your drum xx xxxx xxxx.

Apart from that :thumbsup:

Having a drum at the ground would stop me going, I find it irritating enough when I hear a drum at a televised game.
It just needs people to get their thinking caps on and come up with some simple songs that are easy to learn and people will join with, even if it's something other clubs use but re-worded to the Albion. There was a new song that was started in the first season at the Amex that was taking off and then ended up getting shouted down for being a Palace song and thus disappeared, quite strange really seeing as the seagulls chant was originally copied from the Palace eagles chant but that stuck around.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
When we go away, we are hardly ever told to sitdown. The away support at the Amex is never forced to sit down. Nobody has ever died from standing up in a modern football stadium, only from chronically bad policing. If the away support at the Amex is allowed to stand, how can the club say it isn't safe, when the only reason the home fans can't stand is cos they have season tickets that can be taken away, and away suppoert is not as easy to punish for non-compliance

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
And I would walk five hundred miles,
And I would walk five hundred more,
Just to see the boys in the Brighton stripes,
And see the goals their gonna score,
La la la la, la la la ,etc

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Is going to the Amex now like auditioning for X Factor ???

Play some ATTACKING and EXCITING football, and you won't be able to hear yourself there

The two things aren't mutually exclusive Tone :thumbsup:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
And I would walk five hundred miles,
And I would walk five hundred more,
Just to see the boys in the Brighton stripes,
And see the goals their gonna score,
La la la la, la la la ,etc
Here is my point, this song would work and sound great (sounds brilliant when the scots sing it). What do you get? No replies and a thumbs down.

SDG

May 26, 2014
Sorry that doesn't wash with me, its just making excuses.

If 50, 100 or a few hundred people get on their feet together and more people follow suit then simply there's very little the stewards can do, thats why so many clubs get a way with it....you csnt kick that many people out.

Until there's a will for fans to get together and do something about it the atmsophere for all but a handful of games will be poor, people can blame sitting, the club, rupert murdoch, happy clapping fans or the fairy god mother all they like but the reality is its down to the fans!!

You may not want advice from a Palace fan, but late 00's (pre Fanatics), there were threats to shut down Blocks A-C of the Holmesdale due to persistent standing.

There were games where stewards and police would wade in and drag a few out and there was running arguments throughout games. Whenever people were forced to sit, the areas around would start a song, and then everyone would be standing again anyway.

The Council handed letters out at the Turnstile saying you had to sit in your seat, nowhere else and you had to sit down.

It continued for a couple of months and Jordan and the club bored of the protests and forgot it.

The advice would be to stand, keep standing, sing songs while you stand "Stand up if you hate Palace" I assume would be a good one when they try to make you sit down. Keep fighting the cause, eventually, they will forget it and let you get on with it.

Good Luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here