Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tom Lockyer

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I would suggest his friends and family should come into consideration on that - and also players who may play with him - or against him. Incidents can be very traumatic for them too.

First and foremost though, all the best to Tom Lockyer, wishing him a full recovery and a long and happy life - even though that might not be as a footballer.

I do wonder though, why this sort of event (and I realise I'm jumping to huge conclusions lumping them all together) seems to be getting more common. I don't remember reading of any such event before poor Marc Vivian Foe, but since then we've had Christian Eriksson collapsing, Enoch Mwepu forced to retire, (possibly) young Offiah, and now Tom Lockyer.
Is it actually occurring more often? - and if so, why?
Is it more common, or do we just hear about it more? Certainly the ones in other countries.

I would think higher level of fitness needed might be a cause?

Plus the ones told to retire are being picked up in medical tests, they didn't go into such details until fairly recently, so there may have been a higher number we just didn't know about

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Isnt it up to the player in question?

If he knows the risks and is happy with them, who are we to stop him
I suspect his insurers won't be happy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Premier League is relentless, it is physically demanding. Luton have a small squad and will be up against it in most matches. I hope Tom Lockyer makes a full recovery but surely collapsing twice now he should seriously consider retiring while he still can.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I do wonder though, why this sort of event (and I realise I'm jumping to huge conclusions lumping them all together) seems to be getting more common. I don't remember reading of any such event before poor Marc Vivian Foe, but since then we've had Christian Eriksson collapsing, Enoch Mwepu forced to retire, (possibly) young Offiah, and now Tom Lockyer.
These incidents are no more common now than they've ever been.

Muamba, Foe, a Fiorentina player whose name escapes me, (Davide somebody or other?)), Antonio Puerta, there have been plenty of others over the years, and long before COVID came into the picture. Gabby Logan's brother died aged 14 in the 1990s (I think) after collapsing while playing football. You just didn't hear about them because if a player collapsed in Serie B, or the Spanish second tier, nobody brought it to global public awareness. Now, every time there's a medical incident of any sort, even in the fourth tier of the Finnish league, the lunatics assemble on social media to spread the word and proclaim with authority that it must the result of the COVID vaccine or whatever other bullshit theory makes them feel like they and only they have the knowledge and understanding of what's really going on.

Also- more testing of younger players brings these cases to light (and hopefully saves lives). Club medicals pick up stuff they never used to, as happened with Connor Goldson and- with awful foresight- to Dwamena when he was about to sign for us.

Social media means the conspiracies spread wider and faster, and the galactic scale of football coverage generally means some bloke keeling over in the Finnish third division will likely be on the evening news and linked to every other illness by the nutters before you can even say "here are the evening headlines".

As for the anti vaxxers- don't get me started. I can't help laughing at how they automatically assume that if- IF!- there had been a spike in unexpected cardiac deaths in the young, that it must be the result of the vaccination and not from the actual virus itself, which notably attacked human respiratory systems and whose long term impact won't be known for years.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
“Our medical staff have confirmed that the Hatters captain suffered cardiac arrest on the pitch, but was responsive by the time he was taken off on the stretcher,” it read. “He received further treatment inside the stadium, for which we once again thank the medical teams from both sides. Tom was transferred to hospital, where we can reassure supporters that he is stable and currently undergoing further tests with his family at his bedside. We would like to thank everyone for their support, concern and loving messages for Locks.”

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Heart disease is increasing in the general population but that is due to lifestyle and diet etc. Without any stats to hand, I would say that with athletes, it is overwhelmingly undiagnosed congenital heart conditions or hereditary disease that comes to light - I’d also guess, these conditions are being detected more often (and earlier) with the advancement of diagnostic tools and testing. However, some footballers do play with undetected heart conditions which is why regular screening (especially for those with a family history of cardiac disease) is desirable. It only takes a handful of high profile cases to skew the fact that heart conditions are anyway the leading cause of death in young footballers to makes us think cases are rising exponentially but it is entirely possible that increased performance pressures and fixture crowding could trigger symptoms of pre-existing hereditary or congenital cardiac abnormalities.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
“Our medical staff have confirmed that the Hatters captain suffered cardiac arrest on the pitch, but was responsive by the time he was taken off on the stretcher,” it read. “He received further treatment inside the stadium, for which we once again thank the medical teams from both sides. Tom was transferred to hospital, where we can reassure supporters that he is stable and currently undergoing further tests with his family at his bedside. We would like to thank everyone for their support, concern and loving messages for Locks.”
I had a sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) in January. I’m one of the lucky 8% that survived a SCA and one of the very lucky 4% that survived and didn’t experience any brain damage! He’d be very foolish to carry on playing, if he has had a SCA!!

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Not long back. You could see the way he went down it wasn't good and from thereon was pretty grim, the response from everyone was absolutely brilliant, emergency services, club medics. Both teams walked around the pitch afterwards and for once both sets of fans were as one, quite an emotional moment really but puts absolutely everything about life into perspective.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I would suggest that as nobody on here knows precisely what his medical condition is, that you refrain from speculation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
These incidents are no more common now than they've ever been.

Muamba, Foe, a Fiorentina player whose name escapes me, (Davide somebody or other?)), Antonio Puerta, there have been plenty of others over the years, and long before COVID came into the picture. Gabby Logan's brother died aged 14 in the 1990s (I think) after collapsing while playing football. You just didn't hear about them because if a player collapsed in Serie B, or the Spanish second tier, nobody brought it to global public awareness. Now, every time there's a medical incident of any sort, even in the fourth tier of the Finnish league, the lunatics assemble on social media to spread the word and proclaim with authority that it must the result of the COVID vaccine or whatever other bullshit theory makes them feel like they and only they have the knowledge and understanding of what's really going on.

Also- more testing of younger players brings these cases to light (and hopefully saves lives). Club medicals pick up stuff they never used to, as happened with Connor Goldson and- with awful foresight- to Dwamena when he was about to sign for us.

Social media means the conspiracies spread wider and faster, and the galactic scale of football coverage generally means some bloke keeling over in the Finnish third division will likely be on the evening news and linked to every other illness by the nutters before you can even say "here are the evening headlines".

As for the anti vaxxers- don't get me started. I can't help laughing at how they automatically assume that if- IF!- there had been a spike in unexpected cardiac deaths in the young, that it must be the result of the vaccination and not from the actual virus itself, which notably attacked human respiratory systems and whose long term impact won't be known for years.
Never mind Covid or conspiracy theories - I never suggested any such, and certainly don't give them any credence whatsoever. More widespread reporting now, so more cases publicised? - maybe; but in the nearly 50 years that I was following football in Britain, I don't remember a football league player dying - even if it was 'only' division 3 or 4 I'm sure it would have been in the papers.
Better testing and screening now? - yet it seems to be happening, maybe more, or maybe the same but with more widespread reporting. I don't know - hence my question. I'm not sure 'some bloke keeling over in the Finnish third division' would be widely reported over here anyway.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I was thinkiing that Ericson hasnt been the same player after he suffered the same issue. Not surprising, and maybe subconsciously he is not running 100% for every ball.
If it happened to me, I would have retired straight away despite the money involved. You can't take it with you.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
........ long before COVID came into the picture. Gabby Logan's brother died aged 14 in the 1990s (I think) after collapsing while playing football. You just didn't hear about them because if a player collapsed in Serie B, or the Spanish second tier, nobody brought it to global public awareness. Now, every time there's a medical incident of any sort, even in the fourth tier of the Finnish league, the lunatics assemble on social media to spread the word and proclaim with authority that it must the result of the COVID vaccine or whatever other bullshit theory makes them feel like they and only they have the knowledge and understanding of what's really going on.

Oh gosh yes, Terry Yorath's son. Died 1994 during a match. I'd forgotten that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe not but would a club be happy picking up the tab, one for the medical stuff but also the cost of games being disrupted. Today would likely to have cost a lot of money to the club's involved.

I should add yes, it is mandatory for the club (any club) to have liability insurance.
I would think the PFA requires it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here