[Football] Tom Lockyer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would suggest that as nobody on here knows precisely what his medical condition is, that you refrain from speculation.
This is on the BBC website from 6th June when he collapsed in the PlayOff final. He had surgery. The link is within today’s press releas.

Tom Lockyer says he has "been given the all-clear" to resume his career after having heart surgery to address the problem that saw him collapse during Luton's play-off final win at Wembley.
The 28-year-old had an atrial fibrillation, a condition the NHS describes as causing "an irregular and often abnormally fast heart beat.

Today’s report on the BBC.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Never mind Covid or conspiracy theories - I never suggested any such, and certainly don't give them any credence whatsoever. More widespread reporting now, so more cases publicised? - maybe; but in the nearly 50 years that I was following football in Britain, I don't remember a football league player dying - even if it was 'only' division 3 or 4 I'm sure it would have been in the papers.
Better testing and screening now? - yet it seems to be happening, maybe more, or maybe the same but with more widespread reporting. I don't know - hence my question. I'm not sure 'some bloke keeling over in the Finnish third division' would be widely reported over here anyway.
David Longhurst, York City. Died during a game vs Lincoln City in 1990, he had a heart condition.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Isnt it up to the player in question?

If he knows the risks and is happy with them, who are we to stop him
Afraid not. He's owed a duty of care because he's at work. In this country.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes he did
Apologies for chipping in with speculation, but I'd like to respond to some of the comments above. Last time this player collapsed it was said to be atrial fibrillation. This is itself odd since AF can make a person feel faint, but the ventricles will continue to receive electrical signals, albeit irregularly (not typically extra fast, paradoxically), via the AV node. I met a bloke on a train some years ago who had been in continuous AF for 2 years. He was largely symptomless. I'm surprised this was sufficient to cause 'collapse' last time, let alone a much more protracted episode this time. If his ventricles follow his atria more closely when in AF than one would expect, he may have a 'bundle of kent' which presumably was ablated during his first surgery. This 'bundle' is a bit of tissue that makes a fast electical connection between atria and ventricles, bypassing the AV node (a high pass filter) and gives rise to WPW syndrome (https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/conditions/wolff-parkinson-white-syndrome).

Unless it is an electrophysiologist speaking (medic who specializes in arrhythmias) I suspect there may be a bit of communication 'miss-spokenry' here. If you can follow all that above it may be of some interest, however.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Apologies for chipping in with speculation, but I'd like to respond to some of the comments above. Last time this player collapsed it was said to be atrial fibrillation. This is itself odd since AF can make a person feel faint, but the ventricles will continue to receive electrical signals, albeit irregularly (not typically extra fast, paradoxically), via the AV node. I met a bloke on a train some years ago who had been in continuous AF for 2 years. He was largely symptomless. I'm surprised this was sufficient to cause 'collapse' last time, let alone a much more protracted episode this time. If his ventricles follow his atria more closely when in AF than one would expect, he may have a 'bundle of kent' which presumably was ablated during his first surgery. This 'bundle' is a bit of tissue that makes a fast electical connection between atria and ventricles, bypassing the AV node (a high pass filter) and gives rise to WPW syndrome (https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/conditions/wolff-parkinson-white-syndrome).

Unless it is an electrophysiologist speaking (medic who specializes in arrhythmias) I suspect there may be a bit of communication 'miss-spokenry' here. If you can follow all that above it may be of some interest, however.
Yeah, but what do you know? This is a country that’s tired of experts…

Seriously, thanks for the commentary and get well soon Tom.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

We were driving into Brighton this afternoon when the news broke and it shook me quite a bit because, as you say, he was diagnosed with AF after his Wembley collapse. I knew this background, his subsequent treatment and successful return to football.

I was diagnosed with AF at the beginning of September, and I'm currently waiting the results of the echocardiogram I had mid-October, living the life of a non-running non-drinking monk.

My episode came on when I was out for a 12-mile run and, not knowing what was going on, I just kept stopping for rests before continuing. At the end of the run I could barely walk and when back at home I couldn't stand for five minutes before needing to sit down. When I first read about Tom Lockyer's episode, shortly after having my own, I did consider I was probably very close to collapsing myself given the way I felt.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I feel for this chap, I really do, and I hope and wish he would just lay down his tools, and enjoy a settled life, albeit without professional sport. I suffered atrial fibrillation over 11 years. I had 9 cardioversions, effectively on the table where they apply massive electrical stimulus in an attempt to restore sinus rhythm. I was also twice on the table at John Radcliffe Oxford for catheter ablation surgery for 4+ hours, and once for mitral valve surgical regurgitation repair. It was very very tough, I used to run the mile at Uni, but I was reduced to nothing on the table for my very survival. This poor chap Tom is light years ahead of anything I could ever have aspired to, and I feel every single second through my own experience. Go well Tom, settle on what you have, and enjoy life. 🙏🏼

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
It’s a sober reminder that elite level sport at the highest level places colossal demands on the human body, which it often struggles to find the physical resources to respond. Us fat bastards up in the stands cannot hear the chest pumping, with colossal demands on the lungs to keep going. 100 minutes, 13kms, with dozens of repeated full-on sprints and stops and starts. We just stand 30 rows back and moan if someone doesn’t appear to try. But this is a massively physically demanding sport. And if there is a structural fault, we can’t see it, but the suffering player does his absolute best. And very very rarely it causes total breakdown. I wish Tom a full recovery and a relaxed early retirement with his family. And I wish that fans, including myself, because I often chastise a player failing to chase back, I wish that fans would think about the massive physical load, before hurling critical feedback. GWS Tom, from all football fans who know how tough the load is. 🙏🏼

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I was also twice on the table at John Radcliffe Oxford for catheter ablation surgery for 4+ hours,

I had this in October as well. Got to have another one in the next few months. This is what Lockyer had for his Atrial Fibulation, I read about him when I was reading about the surgery to decide if I was going to get it.

A lot of heart issues you are born with and don’t know about till they become an issue, that’s what was the issue with mine. A lot of things flare up in adulthood that are fine in childhood.

It is amazing the amount of people who wanted to blame mine on the Covid vaccine, despite my telling them I was born with my heart issue. It’s mad.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022

All I responded to was the statement that this was the player who collapsed in the play off final I don’t really understand why you would reply to my post with all the info you have.I have myself suffered a MI in 2015 so I hope TL is ok
Are you a cardiologist?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I had this in October as well. Got to have another one in the next few months. This is what Lockyer had for his Atrial Fibulation, I read about him when I was reading about the surgery to decide if I was going to get it.

A lot of heart issues you are born with and don’t know about till they become an issue, that’s what was the issue with mine. A lot of things flare up in adulthood that are fine in childhood.

It is amazing the amount of people who wanted to blame mine on the Covid vaccine, despite my telling them I was born with my heart issue. It’s mad.
I wish you all the best. Tim Betts at Oxford was my surgeon and he is in the truest sense an absolute world leader. The toughest part is signing the consent form, which says there is a 4% chance you won’t get off the table (if the ablater erroneously hits the atrial node, it’s instant lights out). I wish you all the best, these people are truly brilliant and humbling, and there is a bright future out there. Stay strong and positive.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
All I responded to was the statement that this was the player who collapsed in the play off final I don’t really understand why you would reply to my post with all the info you have.I have myself suffered a MI in 2015 so I hope TL is ok
Are you a cardiologist?
He had surgery for the Afib though. A Cardiac Arrest is a different thing, just because it’s his heart doesn’t make the two incidents related.

WPW is what I have. You can pass out because when it goes tachycardic, the heart rate can go massively high (my record was 215bpm) stay in it too long, and over you go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports