Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Today’s the day Gerrard can show that he’s the best young English manager in the country

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
No manager will be successful at Villa in the eyes of Villa fans if their expectations don't start meeting up with reality.

Clearly Gerrard wasn't getting the results but it's been well over decade now since they were a genuine top 10 Premier League club.

Squad definitely has enough quality to survive the drop this year in the right hands. Dyche looks the right man to me but I'm sure the fans will want to aim higher!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He’s suffered almost lifelong from clinical depression. Covered in his autobio. Possibly starting when his best mate and cousin was killed at Hillsborough.

He was really good on BT Sport. For a while they had a great trio of Rio, Lampard and Gerrard. They were Ian Wright esque in their passion, relaxed without the pressure.

Far better than McManamanamanan.
I didn't know that. Poor sod. He does look sad most of the time. Perhaps the TV situation may be better for him.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
He’s suffered almost lifelong from clinical depression. Covered in his autobio. Possibly starting when his best mate and cousin was killed at Hillsborough.

He was really good on BT Sport. For a while they had a great trio of Rio, Lampard and Gerrard. They were Ian Wright esque in their passion, relaxed without the pressure.

Far better than McManamanamanan.
I didn't know about his depression. Yes, they were a good group of pundits.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
villa truss.jpg

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I watched the game last night, and there were totally, totally hopeless. To be fair, we've seen plenty of performances under Potter which were equally as incompetent but it was never terminal. I think Villa have done what Bloom never did - they've had a kneejerk reaction to a run of poor performances and results. We had plenty of spells where we were criminally awful, but Bloom stayed strong and eventually it paid off. Villa aren't particularly well run and this is a poor decision. Nobody else coming in will do a whole lot better I don't think - but they'll be very well paid whatever happens.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I watched the game last night, and there were totally, totally hopeless. To be fair, we've seen plenty of performances under Potter which were equally as incompetent but it was never terminal. I think Villa have done what Bloom never did - they've had a kneejerk reaction to a run of poor performances and results. We had plenty of spells where we were criminally awful, but Bloom stayed strong and eventually it paid off. Villa aren't particularly well run and this is a poor decision. Nobody else coming in will do a whole lot better I don't think - but they'll be very well paid whatever happens.
The situations are not comparable IMO. Other than the Burnley defeat in the beginning of the year, Brighton never looked as hopeless as Villa has in a lot of games.

Their run of form since early spring is relegation form which might be acceptable if you're working on a bottom six budget like GP but not if you have the 9th most expensive squad (transfer fees) in the league and also top 10 in wages.

Would Tony have sacked Gerrard in those circumstances? Probably not, but not far off I think.

I agree however that it is unlikely they'll do a lot better, just like I didn't think changing Smith for Gerrard would do a lot of good for them. The key part to getting results is and will always be the squad, not the manager. A good manager change can improve your team maybe 5% or so in the first year or so, bit more in the long run, but going from Smith to Gerrard or from Gerrard to Whoever will obviously not change the fact that some of their players are bang average (or worse).

I understand the sacking but I would also have understood not sacking him.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
I thought Gerrard was mad going there, should've stayed at Rangers where every season he had a 50/50 chance of a trophy and then probably would've got the Liverpool job when Klopp goes, can't see him getting the Liverpool job now.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Losing Beale in the summer clearly showed where Gerrard lacked quality. Win rate plummeted from 38% to 18%. According to the Athletic, Gerrard would tell Beale how he wanted his team to play and he'd put that into place on the training ground.

All the Villa fans I know are over the moon about this. Not because they think they should be top 6, but because they felt completely disconnected with a manager who lacked any tactical flair, and often acted with a perceived sense of arrogance when making key decisions (the Mings thing was obviously going to piss fans off). Hard to disagree with them. All we really want as fans is to like the team we are attached to.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Losing Beale in the summer clearly showed where Gerrard lacked quality. Win rate plummeted from 38% to 18%. According to the Athletic, Gerrard would tell Beale how he wanted his team to play and he'd put that into place on the training ground.

All the Villa fans I know are over the moon about this. Not because they think they should be top 6, but because they felt completely disconnected with a manager who lacked any tactical flair, and often acted with a perceived sense of arrogance when making key decisions (the Mings thing was obviously going to piss fans off). Hard to disagree with them. All we really want as fans is to like the team we are attached to.
Wouldn't be overly surprised to see Beale replace Gerrard. He turned down Wolves yesterday which was strange as a great opportunity that came along very early in his managerial career, maybe Villa have tapped him up and asked him to turn down Wolves as they want him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here