Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Today’s the day Gerrard can show that he’s the best young English manager in the country

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
gerrard.jpg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m sure that Klopp will give him a gig as a kit man or something so let’s not worry too much about Stevie G. The mugs tonight are the Fulham and Villa fans who sang ‘sacked in the morning’ to him. ‘Sacked in a minute’ would have been a much more realistic chant.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Inevitable. Uninspiring, out of his depth. Another great player, who’s an awful manager, in a proper division.

He was never going to be the Liverpool manager, that was a media/sentimental fans narrative. Not least he wouldn’t handle the pressure.

Frank next.
Frank might just be pulling it round at Everton - he recruited well in the summer and is building from the back; the defence looks pretty solid now.

As for Gerrard at Viila - I feel there is more wrong with the club and the players at Villa than with Steven Gerrard, not sure anyone would have done much better in just 11 months. McGinn spoke well tonight. Plenty of Championship options likely to come up in the next few months for Gerrard to start rebuilding his reputation.

Poch to Villa? Whatever.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Frank might just be pulling it round at Everton - he recruited well in the summer and is building from the back; the defence looks pretty solid now.

As for Gerrard at Viila - I feel there is more wrong with the club and the players at Villa than with Steven Gerrard, not sure anyone would have done much better in just 11 months. McGinn spoke well tonight. Plenty of Championship options likely to come up in the next few months for Gerrard to start rebuilding his reputation.

Poch to Villa? Whatever.
Evertonians seem to be really whinging about Lampard now. Mind you, they moaned about all their managers except Ancelotti.

Imho Gerrard should go back to punditry, he was great on BT Sport with Rio Ferdinand, before the Rangers job. Why put yourself through the aggro? English football is unforgiving. Competing with vast spending clubs and the world’s best coaches.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Poch to Villa? Whatever.
I always thought that Gerrard was a stoic, humourless, one-dimensional cardboard cutout of a man off the pitch.

Which means he'll struggle to break into punditry.

So somewhere like Preston, next?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I just don't get how anyone can go straight into the number two job at monkey tennis and then straight into the Premier League as their managerial career path. All because they were a legend as a player.

I remember Paul Ince going from Franchise FC, after one great season, straight into the Premier League with Blackburn. Look how that turned out!

Being a legend as a player for club and country really doesn't guarantee instant success as a manager too.

*No doubt I've missed someone, either domestically or from Europe that has made a successful instant leap into top flight management, but my point still stands.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Poch to Villa? Whatever.
Apart from 'no touches' Maupay :facepalm:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Evertonians seem to be really whinging about Lampard now. Mind you, they moaned about all their managers except Ancelotti.

Imho Gerrard should go back to punditry, he was great on BT Sport with Rio Ferdinand, before the Rangers job. Why put yourself through the aggro? English football is unforgiving. Competing with vast spending clubs and the world’s best coaches.
Fair points. I too liked Gerrard as a pundit. Up to him what he wants to do really - doesn't need the money (unless he has a huge gambling problem or something). I think he'll be a decent manager (if he wants) - but there is a question of how much Mick Beale was the power behind the throne, I suppose.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I always thought that Gerrard was a stoic, humourless, one-dimensional cardboard cutout of a man off the pitch.

Which means he'll struggle to break into punditry.

So somewhere like Preston, next?
He’s suffered almost lifelong from clinical depression. Covered in his autobio. Possibly starting when his best mate and cousin was killed at Hillsborough.

He was really good on BT Sport. For a while they had a great trio of Rio, Lampard and Gerrard. They were Ian Wright esque in their passion, relaxed without the pressure.

Far better than McManamanamanan.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

He's another one.

Granted, two good seasons at Derby, but then straight in at the deep end, all because he was a club and country legend as a player.

It's a failed model IMHO.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He's another one.

Granted, two good seasons at Derby, but then straight in at the deep end, all because he was a club and country legend as a player.

It's a failed model IMHO.
An ex playing team mate of Potter at WBA was recently interviewed, who said he was astonished by his success at coaching. That there’d been nothing to indicate that unique talent when he worked with him.

Perhaps very average players get a hunger, allied to some latent talent.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Apart from 'no touches' Maupay :facepalm:
Overall he did recruit well in the summer. Like I said, he improved the defence greatly. Maupay is pretty marmite amongst Everton supporters, but he still has plenty who support him (and acknowledge that he's not beig used as a lone striker for a long ball game).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Obvious new England manager and quite likely Villa go for some interim solution until after the WC and then pick up Southgate.
Timing. The FA are stuffed by Potter and Howe getting results at mega spenders, whilst on vast contracts.

Gerrard, Lampard or Rooney would just be another Keegan. Passionate, but lacking.

My suspicion is that Southgate will luck out to the WC semis and sign a new contract.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Timing. The FA are stuffed by Potter and Howe getting results at mega spenders, whilst on vast contracts.

Gerrard, Lampard or Rooney would just be another Keegan. Passionate, but lacking.

My suspicion is that Southgate will luck out to the WC semis and sign a new contract.
How does anyone 'luck out' to a WC semi final? :facepalm:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Maybe Southgate will stay but I imagine he could be pretty tired of the England fans who won't settle for less than a gold medal.

Any English manager who has recently managed a PL club will be in contention. Anyone currently employed is very, very unlikely to be approached. I think Gerrard is surely among the top names on the list.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Depends on the draw.

In 2002 a poor Germany team almost won the thing. Squeezing past South Korea, USA and Paraguay in the knock out rounds.
With respect, I think that's paying a disservice to South Korea. I remember their performance in that WC. It was superb! I'd never seen work rate like it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here