Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Today’s the day Gerrard can show that he’s the best young English manager in the country

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
With the way it's lined up, it's almost like it's written in the stars that Liverpool end up winning it. I'd be extremely surprised though. Nice to go into the final day with the title still at stake nonetheless.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
80th minute, 0-0. Ashley Young comes on for Villa to provide some experience in the final minutes, but he slips and loses the ball to Sterling who scores the winner. Steve runs onto the pitch trying to strangle Young, but then in the midst of it remembers his own trauma and starts crying in the mid circle. Mings violently tries to pull his manager off the pitch, but Gerrard won't have any of it and bites his captain, getting a huge chunk of his ankle. Nasty scenes. Meanwhile, VAR discovered a foul and disallows the goal. However, due to Gerrards behaviour, the game is abandoned and City awarded a 3-0 win.

IMO this is the most likely scenario.

did you co-write 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah a bit. Personally I would have gone for ‘ Today’s the day Gerrard can show that he’s the best young English manager in the country, Europe, planet earth, the milky way and beyond the hubble telescopes view but Potter is still better and I’m thinking we need a Potter/Gerard poll.’

Sorry Icy, that sarcasm just got the better of me :kiss:

No problem, I think Potter proved today and the last home game that he IS the best young English manager. Nowhere near the budget of Villa and we bossed WHU who had just the one decent chance, which they put away after Dunk was fouled. Some sublime Manchester Cityesque football

No amount of sarcasm can dim my joy at today’s performance :shrug:
:smile:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think he might be fecking up in Aston Villa and perhaps won't last very long.

Losing against Bournemouth is one thing, every team lose sometimes, but the way he handles his players... like saying yesterday: "When Tyrone is back at his best and looks me in the eye and shows me he’s ready to play, he’ll get opportunities"... why go about those things publicly? After games he has frequently thrown his players under the bus, which pretty much ALWAYS has the same result - the players losing their self-confidence and starting to believe that their coach is a **** who won't take any responsibility himself.

Was open-minded when he joined Villa. Yes, Scotland is a two-horse race but for many years before him it was a one-horse jog and it was impressive to win the league with Rangers, despite Celtic being shite that season. But he really hasn't got his team going: despite investment, if you count out his first five games as Villa manager, the results are no better than under Dean Smith, and you get the sense that there is a shitshow brewing in their squad.

Gone by Christmas is my guess.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
My mate who seems to know this sort of thing says gerrard has been sacked. At least we don’t need to worry about them getting a blank cheque out to hire potter.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My mate who seems to know this sort of thing says gerrard has been sacked. At least we don’t need to worry about them getting a blank cheque out to hire potter.
All over twitter (with not much in the way of reliable sources yet), Poch lined up as replacement apparently

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Just looked and I see stan collymore has tweeted the old “that’s all folks” guessing he would know. What a shambles he has been at villa. Beat us with parking bus and launch it. To be fair that is how I would set up against us.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This came out earlier.

This came out about 30mins ago

I've no idea how reliable that account is. For something that claims to break so many stories, 84k followers feels a little low. Maybe the latter has extrapolated and jumped to conclusions from the first. But would anyone be surprised if it is true? Fans have been agitating for a while.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
According to numerous commentators over the years, Stevie G writes his own scripts :rolleyes:. About as embarrassing as the worshipping of the Kop by the media, and the time he first appeared at our place and loads of our so called home support applauded him... Just for warming up on the touchline :facepalm:

From managing monkey tennis straight to a gig in the Premier League with a team that has had loads of money thrown at it. I wonder, if he has been given the sack, did he write that script as well.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I am stunned if this is true - I think they need to relax and let him do his work. There needs to be more time given to managers and to allow them to build their team. Obviously, Gerrard has spent big money at Villa and you would reasonably have expected him to get more out of the team he's already assembled. But a year in the job is not enough, especially when there's still every chance of Cup runs which is all they can reasonably hope for. Looked it up and they play Man Utd away in the League Cup, that's 50/50 at worst.

If he does leave Villa, I'm not sure where he'll end up next. Maybe at Leicester to replace Rodgers if they fancy a change - but I'm not sure that's much of an opportunity for him.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Social media stuff is bollocks - that pic of him in the pub is years old

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
My Villa supporting relative has been massively disappointed with Stevie G. Said he doesn't get the club and should be sacked immediately, supposedly he has the next 2 games to turn it around, games Villa should be winning away at Fulham and at home to Brentford. He also wants to see Poch as replacement.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Don't think he'll be sacked now but if he gets nothing or only a point from Fulham/Brentford, time might be up.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Hope not.

It would be quite funny if city lose the league though.

Don't really care who wins the league, definitely don't want them to win a European trophy though as I like that, in the last 50 years, Ipswich Town have more European trophies.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That whole 'fast-track to the Liverpool job' isn't exactly going to plan, is it?!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sad to see Stevie G go but it was inevitable, Villa were never going to accept these sorts of performances when the fans expect European football.

Looks like it's all systems go for Poch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here