Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Time to leave FIFA and start up & alternative governing body ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You think Qatar, Russia and the Saudis would be better for the job? ....... or gawd help us, the Swiss?
Did I say that?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its a terrible idea.

FIFA is exceptionally well-run in most regards and is absolutely brilliant in a lot of ways that will be very, very difficult to copy. Yes there is corruption and poor/silly decisions but I really don't think it is any more corrupt than any other £30bn+ market... quite the opposite. Football is surprisingly clean and fair, considering the money involved.

The right way to go is to make FIFA more transparent and democratic, imho.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Think it could be a case of careful what you wish for. FIFA is rotten but UEFA isn’t exactly a model organisation. Unfortunately any power will go the head of the top person

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Did I say that?
Well, you denigrated the appropriateness of two basically socially progressive western nations, with no medieval laws about sexuality or women's rights, so the suggestion is that that you might prefer the alternative.
Or the institutionally (as far as football is concerned) corrupt Swiss world of Infantile and Splatter.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Exactly. I'm writing this after the news about the armband 'ban' but before the Iran game. I may (sincerely hope to) be proved wrong, but I'm guessing our servile FA will comply with FIFA's Rules and Regulations. If they're not prepared to risk one tiny act of much-discussed rebellion then the chances of them withdrawing from FIFA and working on setting up a rival organisation are less than zero.
And to think once, “We were summit Ma”

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don’t know much about antimonio …… infantasizo …. Fill me in quickly someone

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Exactly. I'm writing this after the news about the armband 'ban' but before the Iran game. I may (sincerely hope to) be proved wrong, but I'm guessing our servile FA will comply with FIFA's Rules and Regulations. If they're not prepared to risk one tiny act of much-discussed rebellion then the chances of them withdrawing from FIFA and working on setting up a rival organisation are less than zero.
I do wonder how seemingly FIFA managed to seperate the countries that wanted to display the armband and threaten them individually, thus ensuring they caved in. A sticking together by seven countries (with the possibility of one or two more, like the USA and Australia joining them) threatening to go home and totally wreck the whole competition if FIFA pressed ahead with its bullying might have given FIFA no choice, rather than giving the FA no choice.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The armband thing shows how much power FiFA has. The fact that so many teams have caved with the threat of a yellow card is frankly pathetic.

Collectively the larger football nations should be standing up to FIFA and forcing them to be the organisation they should be. But we continue to cower and tug our forelocks to the corrupt overlords.

A breakaway would be great, a show of defiance would be okay. But we can't even risk a yellow card at this stage. A long way to go yet.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The armband thing shows how much power FiFA has. The fact that so many teams have caved with the threat of a yellow card is frankly pathetic.

Collectively the larger football nations should be standing up to FIFA and forcing them to be the organisation they should be. But we continue to cower and tug our forelocks to the corrupt overlords.

A breakaway would be great, a show of defiance would be okay. But we can't even risk a yellow card at this stage. A long way to go yet.
See my post above yours - FIFA contrived to isolate and individually bully the national FAs. If the seven had stood together as a bloc, and said no to FIFA, would FIFA have caved in when faced with a prospect of a quarter of the teams walking out?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
See my post above yours - FIFA contrived to isolate and individually bully the national FAs. If the seven had stood together as a bloc, and said no to FIFA, would FIFA have caved in when faced with a prospect of a quarter of the teams walking out?
I agree but you have to ask why those nations didn't do that. Contriving to isolate nations is one thing. Managing to do that is quite another.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
everyone's overlooking the what FIFA is doing with arm bands is applying the laws of the game. they havent invented new ones for this cup. fairly certain the various associations knew what would happen, and played along to publicise the cause for as long as they could.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
does it ever stop?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It was widely touted when we lost the World Cup to Russia and Australia lost to Qatar. If it couldn’t happen then it mostly certainly won’t happen now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it time to leave FIFA and start up an alternative governing body for football
Surely that time was when Qatar was awarded the world cup, and if not then, as soon as it became clear that Qatar were enslaving migrant workers and then working them to death. That would have been a good time for all decent countries to say 'you know what, this isn't ok, we'll not play in Qatar'.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Didn't the threat to boycott sponsors create a stir a while back ?

World wide campaign against Budweiser, Coke, McDs etc

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The biggest issue of Qatar hosting the WC is Human Rights and subsequently the cowardly restriction by FIFA to ban anyone from protesting against infringements of LGBTQ rights by wearing one love armbands - is this not considered justification enough alone to walk away from FIFA?

Fifa claims that it is “committed to respecting all internationally recognised human rights and shall strive to promote the protection of these rights.” This policy states that discrimination of any kind, including against sexual orientation, is “strictly prohibited and punishable by suspension or expulsion”.

Bollocks is it.

The FIFA tournament rules of official equipment/clothing is also being used to deliberately suppress LGBTQ anti-discrimination statements- otherwise why would FIFA issue their own armbands protesting against discrimination minus any mention of discrimination on the grounds of sexuality?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
everyone's overlooking the what FIFA is doing with arm bands is applying the laws of the game. they havent invented new ones for this cup. fairly certain the various associations knew what would happen, and played along to publicise the cause for as long as they could.
No, no one is over looking that so an apologist approach to what FIFA are doing is unacceptable - fans are having hats removed - nothing to do with equipment rules.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No, no one is over looking that so an apologist approach to what FIFA are doing is unacceptable - fans are having hats removed - nothing to do with equipment rules.
subject was the arm bands, dont go switching to fans hats. unless there has been a rule change, the arm band issue entirely predictable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here