Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Time to leave FIFA and start up & alternative governing body ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Is it time to leave FIFA and start up an alternative governing body for football, I would suspect there could be support from certain nations like us and the USA.
Who else would be interested I wonder, everybody can see that FIFA is corrupt from top to bottom. Gianni Infantino says ‘I feel Qatari, I feel African, I feel gay, I feel disabled’
this man is going to be re elected unopposed !!

There is no progressive move from within this organisation, time for a change
  • Long running FBI investigation into bribery and corruption
  • The 47-count indictment against individuals includes charges of racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies spanning two decades.
  • Beginning in 1991 two generations of soccer officials, including the then-presidents of two regional soccer confederations under FIFA, used their positions to solicit bribes from sports marketers in exchange for commercial rights to their tournaments.
  • FIFA executives and others corrupted the bidding process for the 2010 World Cup by using bribes to influence the hosting decision.
  • The indictment also alleges that corruption and bribery extended to the 2011 presidential FIFA election, 2016 Copa America and to agreements regarding sponsorship of the Brazilian national soccer team by a major US sportswear company.
  • Indictment also alleges that Jack Warner, serving as CONCACAF president, made more than $10m in bribes.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
a number of FAs just got scared about wearing an armband. You really think any would walk from FIFA. You’ve seen what happened with the ESL.

Be interesting to see how many FAs even publicly state they wont vote for Infantino for the next term.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Far easier said than done. The current arrangement is highly unsatisfactory, but I suspect unentangling us from FIFA would be highly expensive, time consuming and litigious. I think we should, but I fear international football would be in limbo for years. That’s actually a win/win in my book.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
a number of FAs just got scared about wearing an armband. You really think any would walk from FIFA. You’ve seen what happened with the ESL.

Be interesting to see how many FAs even publicly state they wont vote for Infantino for the next term.
Exactly. I'm writing this after the news about the armband 'ban' but before the Iran game. I may (sincerely hope to) be proved wrong, but I'm guessing our servile FA will comply with FIFA's Rules and Regulations. If they're not prepared to risk one tiny act of much-discussed rebellion then the chances of them withdrawing from FIFA and working on setting up a rival organisation are less than zero.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Either a new governing body or a complete clear out of existing crooks. When Infantino was first nominated suggestions he was not a lot different to Blatter but got the job anyway. Even if a complete new body set up there is so much money swirling around football it's no guarantee some will be on the take.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
FIFA should not be a money making organisation anyway, any money made should be put back into grass roots and developing football for children, women, disabled folk, there should be no profit, what so ever, that should eliminate any curroption, sure pay them well, I get that, but NO PROFIT.

FOOTBALL FOR ALL...
NOT PROFIT FOR THE FEW....

Time to throw off religious and racial shackles, exclusiveness for all.

Maybe I am wrong, but that is how it should be, in my mind anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the question is who does FIFA serve, and when you answer that, do they see a problem? it may be that the countries FIFA benefits are quite content, and so it carries on, as it does.

i've long given up wondering where all the money goes from the world cup, because its in plain sight. all the various poorer nations and many, many officials along the way. a new association will have to limit its membership or structures to limit the same problems occuring.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Probably time to break away, but England can't do it on their own.

They need a few secret, behind closed doors, plot hatching meetings first.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Get Greg Norman on the case...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Leave FIFA? Fine by me. International football disrupted and in chaos for a few years? :shrug: No problem.

Personally I'd have loved to have seen what happened if the seven countries that wanted to wear the armband that would have devastated poor distraught Qataris had turned round to FIFA and said 'no One Love armbands and we're off home. One yellow card and that's your tournament in chaos and disarray. Take it or leave it'.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
everybody can see that FIFA is corrupt from top to bottom. Gianni Infantino says ‘I feel Qatari, I feel African, I feel gay, I feel disabled’
this man is going to be re elected unopposed !!
In addition to the list in the o.p - how about FIFA not abiding by their own code of mission conduct for Human Rights and specific mechanism they have put in place to protect the rights recognised in Human Rights legislation around the World?

Freedom of expression is a human right.

As I noted on the Day Two thread, footballers‘ right to wear rainbow armbands comes under Article 10 ’freedom of expression’ enshrined in the ECHR (to which we have now ratified into the Human Rights Act 2000.).

“Freedom of expression (as per the HRA 2000)​

1Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This Article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

2The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.”

Properly managed and organised and in line with Qatar’s pledge to respect the human rights of visitors, I cant see any justification for having freedom of expression curtailed (as outlined in section 2) to the extent a rainbow armband should attract sanctions by FIFA:

The armband expresses a belief by the wearer that people should not be discriminated against on the basis of sexuality - footballers and officials should be allowed to express this sentiment without fear of reprisal.

It’s insidious that FIFA is engaged in active ‘humanrights washing’ through the use of their Human Rights Mechanism that includes FIFA’s own ethos “This work is a reflection of FIFA’s conviction that all those who advocate for human rights to be upheld in relation to FIFA’s activities need to be able to do so freely and without fear of reprisals.”

What is threatening those that wear armbands with yellow cards if not threatening a reprisal?

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Could start by giving the the 2030 World Cup to Uruguay (100 years since the first one which took place there)
Good thought, but I guess they might need other countries to co-host.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's always pissed me off that England don't call FIFA and UEFA's bluff.

England teams getting racially abused around Eastern Europe ? Take the team off the pitch and force these spineless twats to do something. They'll obviously do the stupid thing, line up behind the racists and ban England and deduct points. GOOD let the f***ers show their true colours.

Ban the rainbow armband ? Go out in Rainbow shirts and make the same stupid corrupt ****ers make a decision (we all know it will be the wrong one, but it will force the siuation).

It really annoys me that we always back down. Let's show some balls, make a stand and call the ****ers out. We used to lead the world in things :rant:

And relax ................. thought Bellingham did well today (y)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
FIFA should not be a money making organisation anyway, any money made should be put back into grass roots and developing football for children, women, disabled folk, there should be no profit, what so ever, that should eliminate any curroption, sure pay them well, I get that, but NO PROFIT.

FOOTBALL FOR ALL...
NOT PROFIT FOR THE FEW....

Time to throw off religious and racial shackles, exclusiveness for all.

Maybe I am wrong, but that is how it should be, in my mind anyway.
And you think us and the USA are the nations to lead us to this promised land.

Someone's not been paying attention :lolol::ROFLMAO:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here