Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to cash in on Barnes ?

bn1 seagull

Dec 9, 2010
been saying this all season, bristol city were intrested in barnes at the begining of the season, should have cashed in on him then

Bhafc11

Nov 24, 2011
It's been really difficult to judge him this season as he has been so often played out of position - attacking midfield or out wide. It's a shame he didn't really put in a great show against Wrexham when he did have the chance to play up front, but then he was on his own, same as CMS has been struggling with recently. He's definitely gone off the boil since scoring a few goals early season, but I don't think that it's all necessarily down to him. Would love to see him and CMS in a 4-4-2 which (I may be wrong), I don't think has happened

This is right, Did well last season when up front with a partner but this season his been out of position or on his own. Think he still needs his chance in a 4-4-2.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Without Barnes' goals this season we would have gone out of the Carling Cup in the first round so no lucrative games against Sunderland or Liverpool, and be 8 points worse off (2 goals at Cardiff, 1 v Blackpool, 1 v Bristol and 1 v Leeds) He also has assists in winning games like Pompey. We would be just above the relegation zone.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would offer him an extention to his contract now this in effect puts up his value if we decide to sell him. What is the difference extending his contract now or in May except his resale value to us.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He should be offered a 3 year deal and given a starting spot alongside CMS just like at the begining of the season. He causes headache's for CB's that otherwise double up on CMS and he scores tap-ins due to his excellent positioning. We should be offering him a payrise

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Good scoring record and now championship experience - young - must be worth 500k + ? Can't see him being anything more than a squad player here.

I have been thinking exactly this since the transfer window opened, Barnes has a great habit of being in the right place for goalscoring opportunities when he is being played in position but I just don't think his ratio of goals to chances is high enough for this level and can't see it improving as we try and move forward as a team. £500k would be a good return, I just don't want to see us with 40/50 players on our books like Brum a few years ago as we try and bring in more quality and move up the league

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Barnes is potentially a million pound player - he's still very young and has miles to grow and develop but clearly and demonstrably has the ability. People getting on his back now and saying get rid will come to regret it if it happens - much more so than young Steve Cook but then I guess that when there's a bandwagon rolling some people can't resist getting on board.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Barnes is potentially a million pound player - he's still very young and has miles to grow and develop but clearly and demonstrably has the ability. People getting on his back now and saying get rid will come to regret it if it happens - much more so than young Steve Cook but then I guess that when there's a bandwagon rolling some people can't resist getting on board.

Good post.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
RIDICULOUSLY early to judge at Champ level. When he's been played IN position he's generally done well this season. Hardly warrants "getting rid".

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Without Barnes' goals this season we would have gone out of the Carling Cup in the first round so no lucrative games against Sunderland or Liverpool, and be 8 points worse off (2 goals at Cardiff, 1 v Blackpool, 1 v Bristol and 1 v Leeds) He also has assists in winning games like Pompey. We would be just above the relegation zone.

Poor argument - Are you saying we would have played with ten players? Who ever replaced him be that another striker or a midfielder could have contributed exactly the same or even more so we might have beat Liverpool and we could be in the playoffs, no one knows.

All I do know is that Barnes was extremely fortunate that he played in such a dominant team where it was relatively easy to shine upfront, I hope he proves me wrong but he isn't good enough at Championship level.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Poor argument - Are you saying we would have played with ten players? Who ever replaced him be that another striker or a midfielder could have contributed exactly the same or even more so we might have beat Liverpool and we could be in the playoffs, no one knows.

All I do know is that Barnes was extremely fortunate that he played in such a dominant team where it was relatively easy to shine upfront, I hope he proves me wrong but he isn't good enough at Championship level.

Another striker like Paynter do you mean? Strikers that score 20 goals in League 1 and then continue to score in the Championship don't grow on trees.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If we had Falmer for a number of years and had just been promoted to the Championship last season,then perhaps people might have a more realistic view about Barnes,last season he scored 20 goals is only 22...what more do we want?

Timing of the new stadium,the way it has been funded and the future prospects all come into play,let's not loose sight of the here and now,we need players,we need not always spend fortunes,give Barnes away? i would not.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
His problem this season is the numb er of chances that he has missed but then it is a fault of the whole team.

Hopefully he will settle,mature whatever...chances missed is not always bad,it shows he's getting positions which is good and not afraid to have a go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here