Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to cash in on Barnes ?

SuperMario

PLAY IT!
Sep 6, 2006
Barnes should be offered a new contract and played up front with CMS early doors they where okay as a strike partnership.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Barnes is a "Proven" league 1 predator,young and going to improve-those that think he is worth only £150k are MAD

So what do you think he is worth?..Taking in account that in six months time he will be worth f*** all, because he will be a free agent.....Unless he is given a new contract, which if Gus is moving the squad forward I cannot see happening.

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
I take it the OP didn't see him play against Cardiff, he was quality that day. I've said before, our problem is a lack of service and confidence throughout the team.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So what do you think he is worth?..Taking in account that in six months time he will be worth f*** all, because he will be a free agent.....Unless he is given a new contract, which if Gus is moving the squad forward I cannot see happening.

£300,000 give or take

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think he should be offered another year, as HKFC says providing he doesn`t want silly money. I would not want him as one of my top two strikers for next year though and I really think it will come down to how Hoskins plays when and IF he ever gets properly fit. CMS, Hoskins, Barnes and another 1.5 million striker for next season I reckon..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Only if Peter Ridsdale is involved,,,,,,god if we could mug £300k from someone for Barnes I'd think it was christmas again...No one is going to pay that....Offer him to Bristol City and chuck in £2m for Maynard.

Just because Barnes blows hot and cold does not mean he will not improve-he is worth £300k all day long-still it's a game of opinions and i think we could do well to keep him if we are only prepared to take peanuts for him-

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Keep him. He has goals in him and he has shown that, I'm fairly confident if he'd been given the minutes that CMS has, and played in the correct position, he'd have at least 10 goals by now.

At League 1 level yes. He has also shown he takes a good penalty too but im not for keeping him. He just hasnt got what it takes at champ level. Id loan him out!!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
At League 1 level yes. He has also shown he takes a good penalty too but im not for keeping him. He just hasnt got what it takes at champ level. Id loan him out!!

In before the 'but he's our top scorer because he can convert penalites other people win' crew arrive.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I just saw the highlights from S4C from last night. It starts with Barnes pressuring the keeper, who then spoons it to lualua for a near shot. Every shot in the highlights bar one he is the first near the keeper. The one near the end that he has been slated for not following up he had no chance with, he had pulled away to the far post for the cross, but JFC took a shot, and the defender Barnes lost to get to the far post had gone central and would have got the follow up before barnes.

I would be happy if Poyet extends his contract. I'm not sure we can't get someone affordable better than him, but I don't hate barnes the way so many fans seem to, and think he definitely adds something to the squad.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
It's been really difficult to judge him this season as he has been so often played out of position - attacking midfield or out wide. It's a shame he didn't really put in a great show against Wrexham when he did have the chance to play up front, but then he was on his own, same as CMS has been struggling with recently. He's definitely gone off the boil since scoring a few goals early season, but I don't think that it's all necessarily down to him. Would love to see him and CMS in a 4-4-2 which (I may be wrong), I don't think has happened

They played up top against Leeds if my memory serves? And tore them to shreds.

Barnes is a very good player, lo and behold he isn't scoring when he's played out of position, some people would criticise Brezovan for his failure to command his area if we played him on the f***ing wing. His bitching and moaning and going down easily is his greatest weakness, as his movement is excellent (when up top is usually in the right place to get chances), he clearly has the cool head when required (penalties), and can hold the ball up very effectively when he wants to. Just need to see more of it. Unfortunately with another striker coming in during the window, and Hoskins who we paid decent money for coming back from injury, I can see him slipping to 4th choice. Shame, because it's not often you see a 21/22 year old with 30-odd goals in 60/70 games at any level.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I didn't realise he only has 6 months left, but valuations are based on goal scoring records, age and length of contract (not how a player played in his last game). I still think at 20/21 with roughly a goal every 2 games he is worth 500K. I hope we don't let his contract run out and lose him for nothing (like Murray).

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
They played up top against Leeds if my memory serves? And tore them to shreds.

Barnes is a very good player, lo and behold he isn't scoring when he's played out of position, some people would criticise Brezovan for his failure to command his area if we played him on the f***ing wing. His bitching and moaning and going down easily is his greatest weakness, as his movement is excellent (when up top is usually in the right place to get chances), he clearly has the cool head when required (penalties), and can hold the ball up very effectively when he wants to. Just need to see more of it. Unfortunately with another striker coming in during the window, and Hoskins who we paid decent money for coming back from injury, I can see him slipping to 4th choice. Shame, because it's not often you see a 21/22 year old with 30-odd goals in 60/70 games at any level.

Pretty much this. If we can afford to keep him then why sell? If GP does get a truly quality partner for CMS then Barnes will get less games but the way our squad get injured and suspended we could do with the depth. If we don't get another striker then Barnes has enough of what it takes, just so long as he does not ask for too much money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here