[Albion] Time for Sanchez

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Leeds GK has taking quite a bit of stick FWIW. Tough being a GK.

Yep but he's actually making decent saves as well.
Something no Albion keeper has to do.

My defence of Ryan has led me to question £20m Martinez.

I'm still not entirely convinced by him as £20m is a lot of cash and would be our joint record signing.
He is also keen on the Hollywood save and I still think he's a touch slow on his toes.

But that said I hadn't given him credit for his self confidence, which is sky high, unlike Maty's.
I don't think he's worth £20m, but that's now a case of 'at the moment' instead of ever.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Yep but he's actually making decent saves as well.
Something no Albion keeper has to do.

My defence of Ryan has led me to question £20m Martinez.

I'm still not entirely convinced by him as £20m is a lot of cash and would be our joint record signing.
He is also keen on the Hollywood save and I still think he's a touch slow on his toes.

But that said I hadn't given him credit for his self confidence, which is sky high, unlike Maty's.
I don't think he's worth £20m, but that's now a case of 'at the moment' instead of ever.

Arsenal fans gutted he left. I like him. 20 seems about fair.
I'd speak to Villa about Heaton. 34. Just back from a long injury so needs to play. Would be ideal coming in to compete with big Rob if Ryan goes.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'd speak to Villa about Heaton. 34. Just back from a long injury so needs to play. Would be ideal coming in to compete with big Rob if Ryan goes.

If he's as good for us as he'd been against us, Tom Heaton would be a great short term signing

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Last played for England in 2019 so has a chance for the Euros IF he plays. Would be a VERY motivated player.

Are you suggesting he comes to Brighton in order to get into the England team? hmmm

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Are you suggesting he comes to Brighton in order to get into the England team? hmmm

Ha. I'm saying if he plays to his ability week in week out he might have more chance that if he stays on the bench for Villa. At least if it was on loan Southgate could be satisfied that he is still a Villa player and not a 'proper' Brighton one.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

He needs to play? So does Sanchez FFS! Why this rush to relegate a fine young keeper to the bench? Even if Ryan goes somewhere, we've got experienced back up with Steele and a capable young back-up keeper in Walton.

Let's give 'em a bloody chance.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He needs to play? So does Sanchez FFS! Why this rush to relegate a fine young keeper to the bench? Even if Ryan goes somewhere, we've got experienced back up with Steele and a capable young back-up keeper in Walton.

I'm very up for giving him a chance. I'm not suggesting Heaton because of Sanchez, I'm suggesting him because he would be an overall improvement on our squad IF our most high profile GK leaves, and would likely be a realistic signing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm very up for giving him a chance. I'm not suggesting Heaton because of Sanchez, I'm suggesting him because he would be an overall improvement on our squad IF our most high profile GK leaves, and would likely be a realistic signing.

Leave Sanchez in charge of goal-keeping. We have much more pressing priorities.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Sanchez had a very good start to his Albion career and is undoubtedly a fine prospect (as opposed to a fine player).

However, we're balls deep in a relegation battle.

It's a huge ask to give him the responsibility for the rest of the season.

Not saying we shouldn't do it, but the club have got to be considering other options.

My guess is that the club will be actively scouting keepers as a priority and will make a decision as to whether to get an experienced keeper in after the next two games.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sanchez had a very good start to his Albion career and is undoubtedly a fine prospect (as opposed to a fine player).

However, we're balls deep in a relegation battle.

It's a huge ask to give him the responsibility for the rest of the season.

Not saying we shouldn't do it, but the club have got to be considering other options.

My guess is that the club will be actively scouting keepers as a priority and will make a decision as to whether to get an experienced keeper in after the next two games.
Well, it's all about opinions, isn't it. My opinion is that we shouldn't be f***in' around looking for a new GK when we've got other far more pressing needs. I've been following Sanchez' career through the lower leagues, and - my opinion again, I know - he'll do fine.

If we get another GK in, and he does a great job for us, I will support him and the club, no problem - but I'd still be disappointed if we push back the career of one of out excellent young prospects.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

This.

He flapped at a cross today and arguably could have come for the second, but blimey he saved us at Fulham and great save vs Sheff Utd.

He’s a young player, who IMO is doing fine and looks better than Ryan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Well, it's all about opinions, isn't it. My opinion is that we shouldn't be f***in' around looking for a new GK when we've got other far more pressing needs. I've been following Sanchez' career through the lower leagues, and - my opinion again, I know - he'll do fine.

If we get another GK in, and he does a great job for us, I will support him and the club, no problem - but I'd still be disappointed if we push back the career of one of out excellent young prospects.

Why does looking for a new GK impact us with 'far more pressing needs'?.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I also think Sanchez or any other Albion keeper, will do fine, this season.

Sanchez has done a regulation job so far.
He's done an excellent job in showing some fans that keeper isn't the ruin of the team.
I'm sure many of us will enjoy watching his progression.

For those reasons I can't see a new keeper coming, in January.
Can't say the same for the summer.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This.

He flapped at a cross today and arguably could have come for the second, but blimey he saved us at Fulham and great save vs Sheff Utd.

He’s a young player, who IMO is doing fine and looks better than Ryan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, he should've come for the second.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sorry, I was under the impression that money trees do not exist ................

I don't know if there's any mileage at all in the Heaton talk, but just say that was the case, the money that we'd have to pay in loan fee (or even transfer fee if perm) and wages are miniscule compared to the cost of relegation. Not saying he would def keep us up and what we have would take us down, but i'd be amazed if we're not considering bringing someone in.

I still think Sanchez has got 2 games to impress. Play like he did against Fulham and Sheff Utd, he'll convince the powers that be, we're ok. Play like he did today, I think we'll make a move for someone else.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He was about to come for the second and Dunk missed fluffed his header after calling it, why are people so eager to blame the keeper for everything. He didn’t do anything wrong in today’s game aside from the flap where he got himself under the ball.

Did nothing wrong against SU, beaten by a deflection.
Made crucial saves away to Fulham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports