Thousands of Romanians and Bulgarians spotted at the borders

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I spent a fair amount of time over New Year visiting a family member in hospital and noticed that most of the patients and staff in the ward were not British.

OK the NHS has a long history of having a diverse workforce and it is no surprise to be treated by for example a doctor with an Asian background. But the diversity of the staff seemed far more prominent than I recall in the past. The British members of staff were in a minority, which made me wonder why? There seemed to be a lot of eastern European and Portuguese nurses. By the way I also noted how hard they were working, how professional and caring they were toward the patients, so I have no problem with the quality of their work.

Secondly it was noticeable how many foreign patients were on the ward. It almost felt like being in a foreign country.

I had to accompany someone to A&E over the new year, and noticed that (although I did not check their passports, so could not be certain), the vast majority of the patients appeared to be white, British and male. Many were off their faces, and quite a few were belligerent and aggressive to the staff who were trying to help them. Some of the staff did not have local accents. I have no idea what I should conclude from this, but I'm sure that it provides further conclusive evidence to the debate.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
just as well. i am sure there are bulgarians and romanians who could do far funnier posts at far less.

Bring 'em over then, sunshine!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I had to accompany someone to A&E over the new year, and noticed that (although I did not check their passports, so could not be certain), the vast majority of the patients appeared to be white, British and male. Many were off their faces, and quite a few were belligerent and aggressive to the staff who were trying to help them. Some of the staff did not have local accents. I have no idea what I should conclude from this, but I'm sure that it provides further conclusive evidence to the debate.

which A&E?

if it was the Royal Sussex, then chances are most patients are going to be White British as its a relatively homogenous catchment area.

yes white people can be HORRIBLE so we should not even debate unlimited access to UK public services from accession states. we have foreign nurses who are NICE. people who want to discuss this are THICK. I am GREAT.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
All of the Romanians ive spoken to during the last few days would prefer France, or Spain if they were to leave here. They seem to have an affinity with the French language somehow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i pray to god sometimes woodingdean and brighton have a massive influx of migrants that totally alter the demographic and real pressure on resources school places doctors etc. i would LOVE it. it makes me vomit some of the smug rubbish i read on here. I am alright jack lets laugh at those who are genuinely affected by it. i am a much better and smarter person. thick chavs hahahaha.

this denial that this could put strain on peoples communities other than your own immediate ones, and there is not an issue, and even if there is if people were only smarter like you they would understand, is the ultimate in little englander snobbery. never mind all your daily mail reader rubbish, i find some of the utterly self absorbed attitudes on here a cigarette paper away from the pull up the ladder attitudes, combined with a glee in looking down on others, that would seem extreme for the very mid market papers that they claim to despise and be far above.

you would all be hammering the for sale signs in the front garden quicker than you can say 4 cans of tyskie pliz if it landed in brighton to the extent it has in other parts of the country.

Pressure on school places, doctors etc eh. Cameron's over-zealous cuts or a smattering of extra EU residents? I think we all know where the greater issue lies but it's always easier to point a finger at a foreigner.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All of the Romanians ive spoken to during the last few days would prefer France, or Spain if they were to leave here. They seem to have an affinity with the French language somehow.

Quite. Official government stats state that the UK takes many more Aussie, US and interestingly mainly Chinese immigrants. It's makes you wonder why the nation selects Romanian and Bulgarians to whinge about as opposed to these nationals?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I am sure that Woodingdean would benefit from cultural diversification as has for example Sheffield .

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/15/sheffield-page-hall-roma-slovakia-immigration

It is also interesting to note that a lot of the complaints and worries about the problems in this area of Sheffield is coming from the local Pakistani community. So clearly they will be tarred with the same brush.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...es-off-it-will-be-like-an-atom-bomb-here.html

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
people who want to discuss this are THICK. I am GREAT.

I have no hard evidence one way or the other on how THICK the people who want to discuss this might be. However a cursory glance through this and similar threads on NSC does suggest that some of those who get the most heated about all these foreigners coming in do struggle a bit to put together a correct sentence in English. This could be seen as ironic or a sad reflection on the UK education system. At the risk of adding yet another personal anecdote to this particular fire, I've also noticed that many of the EU job applicants that I've recently seen (and happily employed) speak and write better English than the local applicants for the same job.

I'm delighted to hear that you are GREAT.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
i pray to god sometimes woodingdean and brighton have a massive influx of migrants that totally alter the demographic and real pressure on resources school places doctors etc. i .

But Brighton has already had a massive influx of immigrants in the form of students and commuters. They have altered the city culturally are forcing out the indiginous population and putting pressure on local amenites ( schools,hospitals, delicatessans and those shops that sell bongs and tins with cartoon rastas on em). It's just they're not swarthy enough to register on your particular radar.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
But Brighton has already had a massive influx of immigrants in the form of students and commuters. They have altered the city culturally are forcing out the indiginous population and putting pressure on local amenites ( schools,hospitals, delicatessans and those shops that sell bongs and tins with cartoon rastas on em). It's just they're not swarthy enough to register on your particular radar.

thats very silly and way off the mark.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I have no hard evidence one way or the other on how THICK the people who want to discuss this might be. However a cursory glance through this and similar threads on NSC does suggest that some of those who get the most heated about all these foreigners coming in do struggle a bit to put together a correct sentence in English. This could be seen as ironic or a sad reflection on the UK education system. At the risk of adding yet another personal anecdote to this particular fire, I've also noticed that many of the EU job applicants that I've recently seen (and happily employed) speak and write better English than the local applicants for the same job.

I'm delighted to hear that you are GREAT.

It's moronic to generalise either way - your ability to spell has nothing to do with where you were born or your skin colour. Nationalism, racism, xenophobia - whatever you want to call it - has the same root cause in any country in the world which is education and poverty. It's the same for crime.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that job applicants with the means and desire to apply for jobs in a different country and a 2nd language are going to be up to a certain standard. A fair comparison would be between local job applicants in either country, although I'm not sure why anybody would care or bother.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The best bit about immigration for me is that it winds up the right wingers and little-Englanders much much more than I can ever achieve.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports