Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This isn't a "blip"

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
We have been found out well and truly.

Every team in The Championship knows exactly how to beat us. It couldn't be simpler (if executed correctly).

So.... its now over to Gus to show his managerial mettle. I think we need some SERIOUS changes now. Certain favourites need to become "droppable" rather than immune from it - Greer, El Abd and Barnes are the first three that spring to mind.

It also an absolute absurdity that JFC is on loan when we seriously lack creativity in midfield. We need Vicente back desperately. Someone needs to take him aside and tell him to dig in or f*** off.

Vicente is taking the piss out of this football club.

Gus gets most things right and will continue to do so. I have faith in him that things will improve, but he is beginning to make some truly baffling decisions.

Plan A isn't working.

Now its over to you, Gus...

The moment you see the opposing forwards pressing our defence from the off you know we`re f***ed

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
8th, but a whopping 3 points off automatic promotion... and second in the league on GD.

I'll panic later.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
We desperately need a striker alongside CMS who can hold the ball up, do a job at set pieces, win free kicks and link play effectively.

THAT'S why people still bang on about Glenn Murray.

Well blame Gary Dicker for that.

The Murray/Hoskins swap was a done deal until Hoskins broke his foot, and then of course FFS started scoring goals.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
We desperately need a striker alongside CMS who can hold the ball up, do a job at set pieces, win free kicks and link play effectively.

THAT'S why people still bang on about Glenn Murray.
But that defeats your own argument. Since Glen Murray, when has Gus ever player two strikers together. Its not his system, and he won't do it. It's not the Gus way.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Also with 2 quality full backs I now see no point in us starting Barnes on the wing. Play him up top with CMS in a 442 or not at all.
Now that I will agree with you on. Although personally I'd rather see a 442 without Barnes.:lol: Mind you I rather see a 8-1-1 without Barnes

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
8th, but a whopping 3 points off automatic promotion... and second in the league on GD.

I'll panic later.
Most of us can see it now, and would rather it was sorted out before we need to panic.

But you'll be welcome to come back in a month or so when you start panicing

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But that defeats your own argument. Since Glen Murray, when has Gus ever player two strikers together. Its not his system, and he won't do it. It's not the Gus way.

He started with 3 strikers for near enough a whole season previously. I don't think at Championship level he's confident enough in the rest of the side yet to play even 2.

I think we have a good chance of going up with Gus, it's just gonna take a couple more years than many hope.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Didn't we have this same topic of conversation exactly 12 months ago ???

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
He started with 3 strikers for near enough a whole season previously. I don't think at Championship level he's confident enough in the rest of the side yet to play even 2.

I think we have a good chance of going up with Gus, it's just gonna take a couple more years than many hope.
I hate to be the one to piss on your fire, but we don't have years. We need to go up with or next season.

The club needs to supports itself finanically, without the chairman making up the short fall.

If we don't go up this or next year, the playing budget will be slashed. We need premiership football to continue our great adventure, next season or the season after.

We've all got to move away from this give it time line of thought.

The chairman wants premiership football next season (or the one after) and has backed the club to get that. If Gus doesn't look like he will deliver it, IMO he'll be gone.

You're comment earlier about Gus taking us down before you would consider a change, is so far removed from what will actually happen.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hate to be the one to piss on your fire, but we don't have years. We need to go up with or next season.

The club needs to supports itself finanically, without the chairman making up the short fall.

If we don't go up this or next year, the playing budget will be slashed. We need premiership football to continue our great adventure, next season or the season after.

The chairman wants premiership football next season (or the one after) and has backed the club to get that. If Gus doesn't look like he will deliver it, IMO he'll be gone.

You're comment earlier about Gus taking us down before you would consider a change, is so far removed from what will actually happen.

Wow. You seem to know a lot more about our budgets etc than everyone else on this forum. Impressive. How do you know all this?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
We have been found out well and truly.

Every team in The Championship knows exactly how to beat us. It couldn't be simpler (if executed correctly).

So.... its now over to Gus to show his managerial mettle. I think we need some SERIOUS changes now. Certain favourites need to become "droppable" rather than immune from it - Greer, El Abd and Barnes are the first three that spring to mind.

It also an absolute absurdity that JFC is on loan when we seriously lack creativity in midfield. We need Vicente back desperately. Someone needs to take him aside and tell him to dig in or f*** off.

Vicente is taking the piss out of this football club.

Gus gets most things right and will continue to do so. I have faith in him that things will improve, but he is beginning to make some truly baffling decisions.

Plan A isn't working.

Now its over to you, Gus...

We would not have scored on an empty pitch today McSmudger and Barnes are not good enough, the rest of the team is .

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
To a large extent we can all see this, but today is absolutely not an example of what you are saying. We had SIXTEEN shots at goal (to their FOUR).

It's a nonsense to suggest that the set up of the team, or the tactics employed were to blame for that defeat.

We lost because we missed all those chances. Nothing else.

To suggest that the opposition 'knew how to beat us' when they allowed us 16 efforts at goal, makes no sense (unless you think their plan was "nick a deflected goal, then let Brighton have sixteen shots, and keep our fingers crossed that they miss them all")
Exactly this, we just need to put the ball away. I proudly (if lonelyly - is that a word?) applauded the team off today for a sound performance. I'm more sure than ever that Gus knows what's best.

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012

If your chairman really wanted PL football he would have gave another 5M+ to Gus to spend.

It's not promotion or bust for you lot, imo. 26k crowds will sustain whatever money your owner is putting in.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If your chairman really wanted PL football he would have gave another 5M+ to Gus to spend.

It's not promotion or bust for you lot, imo. 26k crowds will sustain whatever money your owner is putting in.

Correct. We're not in the top 3 spenders, not even top 6, so have no divine right for promotion. Anyone who thinks we have is f***ing thick, and if Bloom sacked Gus for NOT overachieving, I would get very worried about Blooms running of the club.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When will you take your head out the sand. When We drop further down the table?
Arsenal have been worked out too now, not as goof as Norwich.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Why is everybody calling for our defensive players to be dropped, when we have the best defensive record in the division?!

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

The club talk about promotion,but without decent strikers it aint gonna happen,McSmudger and Barnes do not cut the mustard

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
I hate to keep saying it but you are very very similar to us in both style and results in our 2nd Championship season. We became a rock at the back but couldn't score but we was improving each season and breeding our style through the ranks.

When you finally get to the Premier League and play against other teams who try to actually win, the style and frustrations to do with it will become worth while.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here