Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This is awful

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The only small crumb of comfort to come out of this is that he should be relieved that Garth Crooks is not in charge of the Saudi justice system otherwise the sentences would be even longer.

Nobody is condoning or defending what he did, which was pretty feckin' stoopid given the penalties involved.

But the nonchalant shrugging of shoulders at what the Saudi's then inflict on people as a punishment is something I do find astonishing.
I'm astonished that somebody would want to live 25 years in a country with barbaric laws, let alone break them.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I was under the impression this was for personal use, a hobby, not for mass distribution.

Bit weird to take in boot of car though. Could understand it, if his house had been raided, but in a car suggests transportation. Thats how western police would view it im sure, if it was drugs as an example. Not that clear how much was in the car is it?

I heard a radio interview earlier today with one of his sons responding to posts made about this case and he said that his father had 12 bottles of wine in the boot of the car and that he was sentenced (not sure if he admitted as i can't remember all the details given) for possession and gifting alcohol - something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06dk671
Interview starts 5 minutes in.
6th minute for details of arrest
approx 7m 15 for responses to comments made

Last edited:

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
It looks like he's got away with it. It's a bit of a shame because we could have bets on how long he would survive after the lashings. I wonder if he went on the lash to celebrate, maybe taking in a dom queen with a whip. I know I would!

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
It begs the question, why would you choose to live in such a vile country at his age?

MONEY... hes worked there for 25 years making a lot of money. Money can make you blind to risk.
You take the risks then you must take the punishment right or wrong when thing don't go to plan.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
Many years ago whilst working in Singapore it was big news that the American ambassadors son (18) had got drunk and damaged loads of cars on his way home. There was uproar from the Americans that he was sentenced to 6 strokes of the cane and they were trying every trick in the book to get him off. Bill Clinton who was president at the time even got involved but his punishment was only reduced from 6 strokes to 4 as a goodwill gesture for Mr Clinton, but he did get them. I dont think David Cameron will get this fella off completely.

http://www.corpun.com/awfay9405.htm

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Many years ago whilst working in Singapore it was big news that the American ambassadors son (18) had got drunk and damaged loads of cars on his way home. There was uproar from the Americans that he was sentenced to 6 strokes of the cane and they were trying every trick in the book to get him off. Bill Clinton who was president at the time even got involved but his punishment was only reduced from 6 strokes to 4 as a goodwill gesture for Mr Clinton, but he did get them. I dont think David Cameron will get this fella off completely.

I bet you a million pounds he won't get them lashings.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005

I think this is all pig s*it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I wouldn't go expecting any support from the Government. Cameron thinks that Saudi Arabia are worth a place on the UN Human Rights Council.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/oct/06/david-cameron-insists-uk-ties-saudi-arabia

But that’s just politics,your option I presume is to isolate the Saudis instead and not include them
Our trade with them is enormous and its not just arms as the Corbyn lot will only focus on

Is our trade incoming and outgoing with Saudi Arabia justifiable according to their human rights record?...........no of course it isnt,its a backward poohole and horrible

Is our trade incoming and outgoing with Saudi Arabia good for Britain…….yes it is its massive……billions in tax revenues and untold thousands of jobs secured in this country because of Saudi investment in the UK.......we have to hope with increased trade they make their poohole better

There is a very good reason Unions have en masse never protested or supported stopping trade with Saudi Arabia………thousands of British jobs

I don’t mind Corbyn saying we should have nothing to do with Saudi Arabia,but I hope he is prepared to tell the jobless and have an alternative plan in place

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
But that’s just politics,your option I presume is to isolate the Saudis instead and not include them
Our trade with them is enormous and its not just arms as the Corbyn lot will only focus on

Is our trade incoming and outgoing with Saudi Arabia justifiable according to their human rights record?...........no of course it isnt,its a backward poohole and horrible

Is our trade incoming and outgoing with Saudi Arabia good for Britain…….yes it is its massive……billions in tax revenues and untold thousands of jobs secured in this country because of Saudi investment in the UK.......we have to hope with increased trade they make their poohole better

There is a very good reason Unions have en masse never protested or supported stopping trade with Saudi Arabia………thousands of British jobs

I don’t mind Corbyn saying we should have nothing to do with Saudi Arabia,but I hope he is prepared to tell the jobless and have an alternative plan in place

Look, there's the mucky business of maintaining healthy trade and perks with the Saudis (which I suspect has some grounding in blackmail and royal connections as well as the financial benefit) and there's nominating them for a place on the UN Human Rights council.

Is it any wonder that a fair proportion of the middle-east has problems with the West when they see us cosying up to regimes like the Saudis, whilst lecturing them on how to run their own affairs.

Trade, money etc.... doesn't exist in a bubble. There's a wider context to our actions.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
UK pulls out of £5.9m Saudi jail deal.

The deal was to provide a "training needs analysis" for Saudi prison service staff.

No 10 stressed pulling out of the deal was unconnected to the case of expat Karl Andree, jailed in Saudi Arabia after being caught with homemade wine.

However, BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said both Saudi and UK government officials have told him there was never any question of Mr Andree being flogged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34518706

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here