[Cricket] Third test: England v India at Southampton, Jul 27-31

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Two wickets in the first hour and a bit is a pretty good start to the day! Just don't let Rahane play himself in now.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Very keen on Cook opening up with Woakes today, it looks like it had the effect of firing Broad up.

We need more of that from the skipper, I get a feeling that Broad and Anderson feel a bit untouchable.

I'd like to see us getting Ali into the game sooner rather than later - a few overs just before lunch?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
DRS fail again... Rahane escapes a great catch from Buttler off Moeen Ali... down the leg side and off the glove.

Tucker gets it WRONG again. :nono:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lunch - Day 3

India 108-3

2 wickets and 83 runs in 26 overs in the session. England will be pretty happy with that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
DRS fail again... Rahane escapes a great catch from Buttler off Moeen Ali... down the leg side and off the glove.

There have been some dreadful decisions in this test match. However England are still in credit even after this one.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I hope and pray I am wrong but I do worry that beyond Anderson and Broad the other two seamers and part time spinner haven't got it in them to pick up 3/4 wickets in this innings and again next time round. After a burst with our front two after lunch I fear we'll be running on empty and the Indian batsmen will begin to make hay.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I hope and pray I am wrong but I do worry that beyond Anderson and Broad the other two seamers and part time spinner haven't got it in them to pick up 3/4 wickets in this innings and again next time round. After a burst with our front two after lunch I fear we'll be running on empty and the Indian batsmen will begin to make hay.

Woakes and Jordan just haven't been firing today, far too many bad balls.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Jimmy gets Kohli... nice catch by the skipper.

Bowling at good pace and right in the channel after lunch. :clap2:

136-4

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Woakes and Jordan just haven't been firing today, far too many bad balls.

Good we have some able back up in Bresnan, Stokes & Plunkett in the bowling all-rounder category. Plus Onions and Finn as out and out bowlers could come into the reckoning to support Anderson & Broad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Finn of old would have been a useful bowler to call upon in this intense 7-test summer. Can Broad and Anderson last 2 1/2 more tests?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Good we have some able back up in Bresnan, Stokes & Plunkett in the bowling all-rounder category. Plus Onions and Finn as out and out bowlers could come into the reckoning to support Anderson & Broad.

When does Bresnan come back in the reckoning? I understand there was a feeling from the ECB that he'd dropped in pace. A Yorkshire dwelling mate of mine tells he's back around 85-87 mph. He's got a very decent test record for a 3rd or 4th bowler and no. 8 batsman 575 runs @ 26.13 and 72 wickets @ 32.73. A bit of experience of being around successful England sides. Still the right side of 30, I'm a fan.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks

Some statto out there has got to be keeping track of the potential umpire / DRS fails this series. Would be good to know how many there have been and in favour of who over the course of the the five matches.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
When does Bresnan come back in the reckoning? I understand there was a feeling from the ECB that he'd dropped in pace. A Yorkshire dwelling mate of mine tells he's back around 85-87 mph. He's got a very decent test record for a 3rd or 4th bowler and no. 8 batsman 575 runs @ 26.13 and 72 wickets @ 32.73. A bit of experience of being around successful England sides. Still the right side of 30, I'm a fan.

I think his a hugely underrated cricketer. A real handful if it is swinging and a superb number 8 batsman. Plus England's win ratio is fantastic when he plays, I think he was involved in something like 8 consecutive wins from his debut.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

annual84cover.jpg

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think his a hugely underrated cricketer. A real handful if it is swinging and a superb number 8 batsman. Plus England's win ratio is fantastic when he plays, I think he was involved in something like 8 consecutive wins from his debut.

It was 13. Only Adam Gilchrist in the history of Test Match cricket betters it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

We were discussing the whole DRS thing last night in the pub. The general consensus of opinion was that umpiring standards have actually got a lot lot worse since it's advent, as they now simply rely on DRS or the third umpire if they are even the slightest bit unsure of making a decision. The amount of referrals to the third umpire now, even for clear run outs or stumpings is getting ridiculous.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
We were discussing the whole DRS thing last night in the pub. The general consensus of opinion was that umpiring standards have actually got a lot lot worse since it's advent, as they now simply rely on DRS or the third umpire if they are even the slightest bit unsure of making a decision. The amount of referrals to the third umpire now, even for clear run outs or stumpings is getting ridiculous.

100% agreed and anyone who has umpired seriously at a decent level said this was what was going to happen. What doesn't help is that some teams get to opt out. It must be far, far different umpiring with DRS than without it. One or the other for the Test umpires I say, not both.

For the record I'm fully supportive of DRS (though it needs to stop being used for marginal "did it carry" decisions) but it was always going to bring about a deference to the technology amongst the umpires and therefore a susequent reduction in standards.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
It was 13. Only Adam Gilchrist in the history of Test Match cricket betters it.

That's an amazing statistic, I just looked up he stats during those 13 matches. Average of 40 with the bat and 25 with the ball, whilst his figures have worsened, I still feel he could play a role in this England side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports