Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Third test: England v India at Southampton, Jul 27-31

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
In the 18.4 overs after tea, England scored 117 runs at more than a run a ball :clap2:

Now it is time for Broad and Anderson to make the ball talk!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cook has got this declaration spot on. If Buttler is scoring runs for fun you let him go for his century, it just means you can set crazy attacking fields with the surplus runs he's acquired. The main thing is our bowlers haven't had to waste energy batting and now they get two bites with the new ball tonight and tomorrow morning.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cook has got this declaration spot on. If Buttler is scoring runs for fun you let him go for his century, it just means you can set crazy attacking fields with the surplus runs he's acquired. The main thing is our bowlers haven't had to waste energy batting and now they get two bites with the new ball tonight and tomorrow morning.

Where's these crazy attacking fields please? ???

New ball, no leg gully, no gully, no forward short leg…are we defending sub 350 here with this field ???

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Okay, 4th over in and the leg gully has come in, 3 slips and a gully. Still would like a 4th slip, they're not looking to score tonight are they, and the ball has taken the edge throughout the first 2 days.

Leg gully for Broad, but not for Jimmy, oh hang on, now Jimmy has 4 slips and a gully. Are we bowling to plans here or following what is happening as it happens?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Where's these crazy attacking fields please? ???

New ball, no leg gully, no gully, no forward short leg…are we defending sub 350 here with this field ???

This was the time for Cook to be ultra aggressive with the field. Even if India managed, say, 70 off their 14 overs they wouldn't have been able to use that momentum because the day will have ended. Two wickets down will have been very disheartening, but they can probably live with one and that being Dhawan rather than Vijay. Yep, I don't understand the lack of a gully, a lack of aggression here I fancy.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This was the time for Cook to be ultra aggressive with the field. Even if India managed, say, 70 off their 14 overs they wouldn't have been able to use that momentum because the day will have ended. Two wickets down will have been very disheartening, but they can probably live with one and that being Dhawan rather than Vijay. Yep, I don't understand the lack of a gully, a lack of aggression here I fancy.

It was clear Cook was minded to wait to see if it swings, then put the extra fielders in. With that score, why not put the extra fielders in straight away, and if it's not swinging, try something else. Cook almost always seems to come from a position of defence, even when on the attack. I actually thought we batted 8 or so overs too many. We should have allowed ourselves longer at them, with the bowlers then having a rest tonight. Not sure you would be any less attacking with your fields whether you have 525 or 565, you've taken time out of the game, and have the opposition in survival mode.

It's a minor criticism really, but it's these small margins and decisions that win matches.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This has been a relief so far.

Cook and Bell showed the importance of taking advantage of your chances. Cook should have been caught early, Bell was out on nought. They both go on to make significant scores with Bell in particular being a joy to watch (as usual against average attacks.) Buttler as well should have been out without scoring

Though he's yet to be exposed to a great deal of pace or mystery spin, Ballance has made an outstanding start to his test career and looks every inch a Test Match number 3 at the moment. However, the tough bit starts now - both Bopara and Morgan made good starts to their test careers to then get found out between tests 10 and 20. However, he's looking like he could be an upgrade on Trott.

Mooen against the short ball looks worrying, that is a serious deficiency and I'm staggered that someone can get picked with a flaw that obvious. Hopefully he can work it out with the coaches because he won't score many runs in Test Cricket taking his eyes off the short one.

I've still got problems with the last hour or so. I thoughtbn the declaration was right, had Buttler gone to 100, it was going to be quick so we wouldn't have taken much time out of the game. However, England bowled poorly, Anderson came closest to getting it right and was rewarded. The other three appeared to lack plans or if they did have plans didn't stick to them. I'm not sure what's to blame here, we've bowled well beneath outrselves for a while now.

We had enough runs on the board that Cook really didn't need to check if it swung, we should have had 4 slips, a gully and a short cover from the start. It will be interesting to see what field he starts with today.

I can see Anderson picking up a few this morning and leaving India in serious trouble if he just gets his length right. Hopefully he'll get the support.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This has been a relief so far.

Cook and Bell showed the importance of taking advantage of your chances. Cook should have been caught early, Bell was out on nought. They both go on to make significant scores with Bell in particular being a joy to watch (as usual against average attacks.) Buttler as well should have been out without scoring

Though he's yet to be exposed to a great deal of pace or mystery spin, Ballance has made an outstanding start to his test career and looks every inch a Test Match number 3 at the moment. However, the tough bit starts now - both Bopara and Morgan made good starts to their test careers to then get found out between tests 10 and 20. However, he's looking like he could be an upgrade on Trott.

Mooen against the short ball looks worrying, that is a serious deficiency and I'm staggered that someone can get picked with a flaw that obvious. Hopefully he can work it out with the coaches because he won't score many runs in Test Cricket taking his eyes off the short one.

I've still got problems with the last hour or so. I thoughtbn the declaration was right, had Buttler gone to 100, it was going to be quick so we wouldn't have taken much time out of the game. However, England bowled poorly, Anderson came closest to getting it right and was rewarded. The other three appeared to lack plans or if they did have plans didn't stick to them. I'm not sure what's to blame here, we've bowled well beneath outrselves for a while now.

We had enough runs on the board that Cook really didn't need to check if it swung, we should have had 4 slips, a gully and a short cover from the start. It will be interesting to see what field he starts with today.

I can see Anderson picking up a few this morning and leaving India in serious trouble if he just gets his length right. Hopefully he'll get the support.

Good summary. Had a great day at the Bowl yesterday, batting wise England got it just about spot on, care in the morning and then accelerated throughout the day and declared at the right time (giving Buttler a chance of a ton was fine, it would only have been another couple of overs - suspect Cookie had told him he was declaring with say 15 left whatever happened). Last hour field placings were a bit too defensive, and Broad, again (like Lords) bowled too short. Will be a fresh start this morning, couple of quick wickets needed to get in amongst 'em but I suspect it'll be a dour day as they bat for the draw. This is where the lack of a test quality spinner will cost us.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me this match now is all about Jimmy Anderson. His number of wickets puts him up there with the all-time greats but in terms of wreaking havoc you don't expect it like with him you did with Botham, Willis, a Wasim Akram, a Malcolm Marshall or a Curtley Ambrose.

Broad seems to be below par and jaded, while Jordan and Woakes are both raw and not the finished article - ditto Plunkett. If we're going to win this match Jimmy will probably need to lead the way with a 5 or 6 wicket haul, otherwise it could be a bore draw.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
For me this match now is all about Jimmy Anderson. His number of wickets puts him up there with the all-time greats but in terms of wreaking havoc you don't expect it like with him you did with Botham, Willis, a Wasim Akram, a Malcolm Marshall or a Curtley Ambrose.

Broad seems to be below par and jaded, while Jordan and Woakes are both raw and not the finished article - ditto Plunkett. If we're going to win this match Jimmy will probably need to lead the way with a 5 or 6 wicket haul, otherwise it could be a bore draw.

Agreed, you rarely see Anderson steam through the opposition he generally chips in with 2's and 3' and the odd five for. I think this wicket will turn so Ali if he bowls well could equally be a match winner.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Broad STRIKES... Pujara edges a short one (yes a SHORT one Mr Holding!) through to Buttler for his first catch in Test cricket.

56-2

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Broad strikes

Pujara c Buttler b Broad 24

First test catch for Buttler :clap2:

India 56/2

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

It's so rare for a bowler to win a test match on his own. Glenn McGrath was obviously a quality bowler in that fantastic Australian side, but that's primarily because it was usually kept tight at the other end. It's no good relying on Anderson if Plunkett and Jordan serve up a buffet at the other end.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's so rare for a bowler to win a test match on his own. Glenn McGrath was obviously a quality bowler in that fantastic Australian side, but that's primarily because it was usually kept tight at the other end. It's no good relying on Anderson if Plunkett and Jordan serve up a buffet at the other end.

Plunkett maybe doing the drinks in this match, not sure about the buffet...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The Chris Jordan I saw in the T20 against Kent a couple of weeks ago appears to have turned up this morning.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
GOT IM!!!

Broad forces Vijay into a poor leave from a short one outside off, catches the inside edge, and crashes into the stumps!

88-3

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here