Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Naylor just loves having a dig at the fans doesn't he?!

Why as our local club journalist he feels the need to comment I don't know. As we've seen on this thread, most fans are happy and relatively relaxed, some are slightly concerned with what we've done so far, others are more concerned. That's all perfectly reasonable and normal and it's probably the same with fans of every club in the country.

It's just a very different approach to the Newcastle chronicle who pretty much give an update on a daily basis... AN doesn't really say anything unless it's pretty much signed off...( which made Friday evenings tweets interesting!)

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
We need a few in but we'd not be relegation certainties if we kicked off with the current squad.

I think we would be.

If we can only win at 2 of the top 13 sides in the Championship, not manage to get 3 points at Ipswich, and lose 3-0 to a side who avoided relegation on goal difference, we sure as hell won't pick up any points at sides like Stoke, Leicester, West Brom etc.

Team spirit will only get you so far - to stay in the Premiership we're going to have to get in more quality.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think we would be.

If we can only win at 2 of the top 13 sides in the Championship, not manage to get 3 points at Ipswich, and lose 3-0 to a side who avoided relegation on goal difference, we sure as hell won't pick up any points at sides like Stoke, Leicester, West Brom etc.

Team spirit will only get you so far - to stay in the Premiership we're going to have to get in more quality.

What a ridiculous comment. Results are random in the Championship e.g. Blackburn did the double over Newcastle. Does that have any relevance on this season?

I can agree with the basic point that this squad isn't good enough for the Premier League but results last season have no relevance and undermine your point

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
What a ridiculous comment. Results are random in the Championship e.g. Blackburn did the double over Newcastle. Does that have any relevance on this season?

I can agree with the basic point that this squad isn't good enough for the Premier League but results last season have no relevance and undermine your point
Random???

If results were random the best sides wouldn't finish at the top, and the worst sides wouldn't finish at the bottom. If you want a 'ridiculous' comment, you're the winner by a mile!

The point I was making is that our success last season was built around winning most of our home games, and beating the lower sides away. The more difficult games last season were away at the top sides, and in general we didn't do well. Playing away in the PL is going to be a lot harder.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Naylor just loves having a dig at the fans doesn't he?!

Why as our local club journalist he feels the need to comment I don't know. As we've seen on this thread, most fans are happy and relatively relaxed, some are slightly concerned with what we've done so far, others are more concerned. That's all perfectly reasonable and normal and it's probably the same with fans of every club in the country.

I think he's right. Have you seen some of the bedwetting on twitter already? A laughable amount of backseat managers.

That being said: we could do with another signing (preferably a defender) before the training camp.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Random???

If results were random the best sides wouldn't finish at the top, and the worst sides wouldn't finish at the bottom. If you want a 'ridiculous' comment, you're the winner by a mile!

The point I was making is that our success last season was built around winning most of our home games, and beating the lower sides away. The more difficult games last season were away at the top sides, and in general we didn't do well. Playing away in the PL is going to be a lot harder.

Beat Sheffield Weds & Fulham, drew with Reading away. Only lost away to Newcastle & Huddersfield out of the top 6. We were off colour in both games, spectacularly so at Huddersfield, but that happens in a 46 game season.

The aim next season will be to stay up & that means winning games against our "mini league" & trying to snatch points here & there off the big boys.

There were times last season when I'd have fancied us to beat the 3 relegated teams, Swansea, Burnley, Palace and Watford over a straight 90 mins so we're not far off.

Nevertheless the club do want to improve the squad but gradually and cost effectively. Anyone who doesn't get this hasn't been paying attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Our success last season was built around winning 28 matches. Of course the games will be harder, but we don't need to win 28 of them again - half that number would qualify as a pretty successful season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm sorry, but now you're just showing plain ignorance. You quote replied to my original post saying:

And in your next 2 posts, said exactly that. Hence my replies, to your contradiction. <-- not true... please learn to read more carefully...

The summary of your posts on this thread are pretty much "Wah wah wah - we haven't signed enough players yet so we're going to get relegated". <-- your interpretation, not based in fact...

My retaliation to your posts, are with regard to you expecting much more business to be completed, than we have. I never questioned the quality of player you would like us to sign. As you're a Brighton fan, I would expect you want us to sign quality.

Timing of signings is important - but not yet. Not when the players have been back in training for 2/3 days. In another week - if we have failed to make any movements before they head off to Austria, then I'd be more inclined to agree with your worry.

I'm happy to debate my opinion and take on constructive criticism - what I don't tolerate is someone saying "you're stupid for not agreeing with my bedwetting".

You do you my friend - I'll enjoy my summer and watch as Albion construct their team for the Premier League. Having trust in the club and hierarchy.

You piss your pants as much as you want.

As stated by another poster previously, once you resort to the pathetic term "bedwetter", you have lost the argument... I'll leave it there... enjoy your rose-tinted glasses

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Random???

You know exactly what I mean. Top teams lose to lower teams a lot more than in the Premier League, for example.

Our record against the other five teams in the top six was decent, 19 points from 10 games.

Also, you seem to have two points. Here you mention our successful base being partly built on beating lower sides away yet in your first post you mention Forest and Ipswich away, two examples where that isn't the case. Not sure what you are trying to prove.

As for home record, of course our success was built on that. The majority of teams who get promoted from a division have a very good home record. And last season in the Premier League Burnley stayed up despite not winning an away game until April so it can be done.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Random???

You are confusing random with consistency. A team can be consistent ie Newcastle, but still get random results.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth played 7 players regularly in their first season in the Prem who had played for them in L1.

... yes, and i would expect us to have 5/6 from last season playing regularly this... that still means a large amount of recruiting...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
As stated by another poster previously, once you resort to the pathetic term "bedwetter", you have lost the argument... I'll leave it there... enjoy your rose-tinted glasses

As compared to saying things like rose tinted glasses. We all have different opinions. I would say you are one of the most negative posters on here (while you claim to be a realist). However, I am sure you claimed last summer that we wouldn't get promoted due to lack of signings and you were being realistic. Remind me of what happened last season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Talking to your other ego again?

Fail to prepare is preparing to fail, but how do we know what preparations are in hand?
We know what is finalised but I am 100% sure there are preparations.

Not my 'other ego' TB... a separate and informed poster...

I am not saying we aren't preparing, but there is just not enough progress in evidence at this time IMHO...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

No the time you've lost the argument is when you create another user to agree with yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So is it fair to say that, based on this thread, if we don't make four signings in the next 20 minutes we're going down with a record low points total of 0?

I think we'll struggle to get that many points TBH! ;-)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As stated by another poster previously, once you resort to the pathetic term "bedwetter", you have lost the argument...
Not been following the argument, so am staying neutral in that regard - but your point about 'the pathetic term "bedwetter"' I fully endorse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here