Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Wrestling Thread

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Please tell me that nobody over the the age of 15 has contributed to this thread! :ffsparr:

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Not a wrestling fan, I take it?
As a spectacle I kind of get it but the whole contrived story lines nonsense and incidents in the parking lot stuff is just a bit silly. I'm an old fart who remembers the good honest Panto of ITV wrestling followed by the football results

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
As a spectacle I kind of get it but the whole contrived story lines nonsense and incidents in the parking lot stuff is just a bit silly. I'm an old fart who remembers the good honest Panto of ITV wrestling followed by the football results
Do you not watch any non-sport TV then? Because TV is, by definition, contrived storylines

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Probably get decent odds on Punk being released again inside of two years.
he'll inevitably fall out with someone which of course won't be his fault

he is undoubtedly a big draw though and is good enough in the ring to squeeze out a few good feuds before everything hits the fan

he had very good matches in AEW and a great feud with MJF

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
he'll inevitably fall out with someone which of course won't be his fault

he is undoubtedly a big draw though and is good enough in the ring to squeeze out a few good feuds before everything hits the fan

he had very good matches in AEW and a great feud with MJF
Seth apparently tried to knock him out untill Corey and Cole held him back Seth has proper beef with him will be interesting how they keep these 2 apart if they can do business together it’s a no brainer for a mania match

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Seth apparently tried to knock him out untill Corey and Cole held him back Seth has proper beef with him will be interesting how they keep these 2 apart if they can do business together it’s a no brainer for a mania match
at the end of the day the bloke has spent years trashing WWE so no surprises that he's not overly popular there, but he also strikes me as someone who doesn't care one bit about making friends.

I'm sure he'll do great with Rollins, just don't let Punk do any post-ppv press conferences!

I imagine the management at WWE is more skilled in managing difficult characters, they've had years and years of practice. AEW didn't have that experience so it was unlikely to ever work out there, he was inevitably going to fall out with someone and they just didn't have the skills to help resolve it. BUT what he did show in AEW was that he can still work

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Do you not watch any non-sport TV then? Because TV is, by definition, contrived storylines
Well yes, but as general rule sport isn't.

I'm not knocking it though. I haven't watched it since my son was a boy in the days of the Undertaker, the Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, William Regal, etc. And even though it was fake it was still fun, if a tad OTT at times.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Well yes, but as general rule sport isn't.

I'm not knocking it though. I haven't watched it since my son was a boy in the days of the Undertaker, the Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, William Regal, etc. And even though it was fake it was still fun, if a tad OTT at times.
Honestly. I love wrestling. First ppv was Royal rumble 1999, dad told me the next morning it was all fake. Still love it to this day despite him ruining it haha

Genuinely all makes sense now because by all accounts I've no idea how the rock didn't kill Mankind with a steel chair

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Honestly. I love wrestling. First ppv was Royal rumble 1999, dad told me the next morning it was all fake. Still love it to this day despite him ruining it haha

Genuinely all makes sense now because by all accounts I've no idea how the rock didn't kill Mankind with a steel chair
It's soap opera where the actors are enormous blokes and I bloody love it.

Like you, I don't care about the 'fake' thing either. Sure it's all worked out and they do all this stuff safely but some of that shit still hurts. There's no way to fake Mankind taking a 30+ft drop onto a table made of MDF :shrug:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It's soap opera where the actors are enormous blokes and I bloody love it.

Like you, I don't care about the 'fake' thing either. Sure it's all worked out and they do all this stuff safely but some of that shit still hurts. There's no way to fake Mankind taking a 30+ft drop onto a table made of MDF :shrug:
This.

I've watched since the Hogan/Warrior era, my first in-person event was WrestleMania 20 at MSG.

It was a phenomenal experience, with a great atmosphere and I loved every minute of it. The ending was, at the time, a genuine Wrestlemania moment (a vastly overused term IMO), but obviously erased from history now.

Wrestling at its best is as gripping as any TV drama, and I love it. The phrase "For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible" applies perfectly here IMO.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here