Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Wrestling Thread

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just seen a poster for live wrestling at The Barn in Southwick on Saturday 27th January, has anyone been before?
View attachment 173699
It is a Premier Promotions show, they still do the traditional British style matches with rounds and public warnings but do get many decent young wrestlers on their cards. They had Zack Sabre Jr on a few weeks ago in a rare UK appearance.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Rumble predictions... Hmm. The idea that the winner is main eventing mania/challenging for a title at mania in a match dubbed a main event even though it's not the last match on the event really hamstrings them, I think. You can't have a surprise winner (with so much focus on Rhodes and Punk, it would be surprise to see someone else eliminate them to get an underdog win. If you do that, you have to get them into the title matches and take away the prize from the winner, undermining the main hook of the event.

Rhodes finishing the story at Mania is, I think, the bigger/more dramatic story than Punk getting to "main event" or see Punk v Rollins. For that reason, I'd go with Punk winning to set up their match, then Rhodes has to earn his shot v Reigns another way (elimination chamber).

On the women's side, I think it's likely either Lynch or Bayley. It'll probably be Lynch, with Bayley falling short to further develop her separation from damage ctrl.

I think if it doesn't come down to those four it will be a surprise entrant - A returning Sasha Banks (unlikely, most seem to be expecting her going to AEW), debuting Jade Cargill on the women's side, Rock on the men's side.

I think Logan Paul retains via shenanigans.

I think Reigns has been continuing to carry three belts for a reason. Knight, Orton and Styles will all cover Reigns at the same time and claim one belt each. Triple threat at Mania to determine the undisputed undisputed champion. Just kidding. Reigns will win. May not even need interference given the multiple opponents, each costing each other.

Misc
I've seen a spoiler for one surprise entrant in the women's rumble which would generally make me shrug. Not overly familiar with them, and the complication to their appearing was overcome before.
Maybe AJ lee appearing? Not a full time return, just a cameo.
Michelle McCool to repeat her 'I'm just sat at ringside, what do you mean I've been drawn in the rumber!?!' spot.
Someone will 'skin the cat'
Jimmy and Jey will collide and set up their mania match/reignite their feud to lead to mania
Brock's 'surprise' return has reportedly been withdrawn and an NXT call up in his place. Perhaps Bron?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was too sleepy to stay up and watch it live, so am catching up on the Rumble this morning.

Cole said there's never been two winners. Seemingly forgot the year Bret Hart and Lex Luger were joint winners.

Up to number 21 in the women's rumble (opening match).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Finished it now.

Both rumbles were decent rumble matches. I think I missed the lack of suprises, but I suppose that is partly my fault (keeping up with the news so knowing who was out of contract and expected back, and who had been reported to be in town for the event), but even then it felt like the surprise names were not necessarily big names.

Owens/Paul and the fatal four way were decent matches for what they were.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'm afraid I just can't connect with Cody at all

I respect that he's rebuilt himself after getting released by WWE in 2016, but I find a lot of his in ring stuff quite formulaic and his promo's very dull

It seems to be working out for him in WWE though, he is much better suited to there than AEW

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I respect that he's rebuilt himself after getting released by WWE in 2016, but I find a lot of his in ring stuff quite formulaic and his promo's very dull

It seems to be working out for him in WWE though, he is much better suited to there than AEW
Same. But I would say the same about a lot of the supposedly top talent. I look at them and think if this was 10/15/20/30 years ago, they'd be in the midcard at best. Then I think I'm just getting old, turning into a 'back in my day...' type.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Is Vince McMahon going to jail?

Or will his friendship with Donald Trump literally be his 'get out of jail free card'?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

The Iron Claw - new A24 film on the way, true story all about the Von Erich wrestling family.

Their story is bonkers.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Same. But I would say the same about a lot of the supposedly top talent. I look at them and think if this was 10/15/20/30 years ago, they'd be in the midcard at best. Then I think I'm just getting old, turning into a 'back in my day...' type.
yes I'd largely agree- in fact Cody WAS a mid carder 10/15 years ago and a pretty good one. Solid intercontinental/tag team wrestler but I just don't buy into it beyond that.

The only two I'd say that I'd disagree with are Roman Reigns in WWE and MJF in AEW. I've largely bypassed Reigns' long....reign but he is a proper superstar especially as a heel (I get why he wasn't getting over as the John Cena replacement super baby face). MJF is absolutely dripping with charisma and would be a top guy in most era's, he's very accomplished in the ring as well. Time is on his side and he can be a proper megastar if he keeps working at it

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I really enjoyed the Rumble. Not mega enjoyed, but a solid 7.5/10 as a whole. I could have predicted the final 4 in the mens rumble a mile out and that was annoying tbh. I was talking to a mate on Thurs, and we were saying it'd be awesome if Chad Gable won it and went for GUNTHER leaving the main events open for Mania #fantasybooking etc.... shame lol. He wasn't even in the thing!

I like Cody, he's developed over the years into a great main event talent IMO (not built like one physically, but I do think he has the promo skill, in ring ability and crowd support) but he will need to change tack very quickly if he does win the big one, as not sure what he will talk about other than "doing it for daddy"

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Reigns vs Rock at Mania then.

It's a big event match obviously, but I can't see them choosing to have Reigns long run ended by someone even more part-time than him. When Reigns does lose the title, it should be to create a new top star, surely?

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

I disagree, Cody is someone I really enjoy watching and listening to

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Think they've done as best they can in the situation. Without Punk to take on Seth, I'm not sure there's as big a match there for him. Neither LA Knight or Gunther are quite there yet. Cody choosing Seth's title helps to elevate that belt a bit more. Roman dismissing it as a number 2 sets up the title v title match in the future which will be the ultimate victory for Cody (perhaps merging the titles again, perhaps not).

It is interesting how they will handle rock v reigns. The heel winning at mania is meant to be a rarity. It's usually the triumphant finale. They wouldn't have them end night one so they can go with the reigns (stolen) victory, so Cody can win Seth's title on night 2, would they?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So what’s the point of the elimination chamber this year?
Rhea's challenger for the women's one (so Becky can 'earn' the shot having missed out at the rumble).

Future title challenge - rock sneaks in to win it, makes the rollins/rhodes match on night one a triple threat, wins the title. Night two is Reigns/Rock title v title. Cody snaps, and interferes to set up the next chapter. God, I've watched too much vince russo booking.

Maybe the men's will be for an IC title/US shot allowing a lower carder to win - Grayson Waller for the "hometown" win?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So what’s the point of the elimination chamber this year?
Got i! Nick Aldis refuses to let Rock just waltz in and claim a title/headline match v Reigns. He has to earn it in the elimination chamber.

Cody takes the opportunity at/just before the Elimination chamber. He said he wants to take everything from Reigns - he's going to take his hollywood mania main event match from him and claim the match v reigns using his rumble win. Leaving the Rock to face Rollins for his title. Rock wins, Reigns loses. Cody finishes his story then Rock and Reigns continue the feud, Rock proclaiming himself the head of the table because he won his mania title match, Cody claims it's a consequence of him beating reigns for the title, continung the 'taking everything from him' angle. Maybe even have Heyman kicked out the bloodline by the rock, siding with Rhodes.

I need to stop coming up with the worst angles possible.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Something else to think about - where do Damian Priest and his briefcase fit into all of this?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I disagree, Cody is someone I really enjoy watching and listening to
fair enough

just personal preference really. I find him very dull but like I said, he's more suited to WWE than AEW so maybe connects more to WWE fans

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The idea of Rock taking on Reigns at mania stealing the opportunity of Cody to finish his story doesn't seem to have gone over very well. They didn't confirm either, so there's still scope to pivot back if they want to listen to the fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here