Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Wrestling Thread

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Don't think that was a home run show, but the main event was fun. The opener was decent. A lot of title changes, giving it a sense of importance (as opposed to a lot of the WWE UK PPVs), though AEW do have another PPV next week and several PPVs in between to switch titles back.

Decent tag match in the pre show
Decent FTW match, which will be overshadowed by Perry's immaturity.
Decent opener with Punk/Joe paying tribute to their previous rivaly
Omega and friends v Bullett club - I wasn't invested in (not a fan of omega and page, don't really know the others)
FTR v Young Bucks - Was fine. Not the best match between them, probably one of FTR's weaker matches of late (and that will always draw suspicions of the Bucks not giving their all when they weren't going to win a 'who's the best' match)
Stadium Stampede - I barely paid attention, went to make a sandwich. These matches are a mess with no through thread, no psychology, no way of telling a coherent story.
Women's 4-way - not the mess I was expecting given how little respect AEW pays its women's division, nice for Saraya to have that moment with her family, but why switch the title 3 weeks ago if you were doing this?
Coffin match - There was a sign in the crowd that had "2900* Days since sting last lost" (*it had a more exact number, but it was around 2900), so result was not really in doubt. Allin is another I don't really care for.
Jericho performance - eh. Guess he needs to feed his ego.
Jericho/Ospreay - about what I expected, given my awareness of ospreay is mostly from his short time in AEW. Not a classic, but a decent undercard match
Trios match - meh.
MJF v Cole - A decent main event, a lot of storyline stuff going down toward the end, that brainbuster on the steps was brutal. Could see a small gash on his shoulder for the remainder of the match. Fun seeing the ref take the panama sunset. Just once, just for me, I'd like to see a wrestler kick out at 2 when the crowd are chanting the pinfall following a ref bump.

Overall fine, I don't regret watching, but it hasn't revved me up and made me want to order All Out next weekend.

They announced a return for August 25th next year at Wembley. Be interesting to see a) if they do a better job with the build and space out the PPVs next year (having so much be about how this weekend will impact on All Out next weekend has somewhat undermined the show, making it feel more of a stepping stone than a main show), and b) If the audience returns year on year. The attendances and viewing figues are falling year on year in the US. Was this show only successful because people thought it was a one off special event, or will the year gap be enough for the audience to be desperate for more.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Not a fan of these stadium stampede matches.

Can't believe the royal box is empty. Chaz must be a WWE mark.

I loved the first stadium stampede, but that was during the pandemic with no live crowd and they could do it cinematically

not sure it really works with a live audience as there's so much going on

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
great achievement by AEW, 5 years after the original All In which was essentially the birth of the company

I remain a fan, I can't really get into WWE these days but I do still watch AEW regularly. Like any company they have peaks and troughs creatively but there's enough to keep me interested.

It's all good for the wrestling business at least

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Very good job. Also decent ticket pricing as well, no wonder it was a bumper crowd. Had a look on Saturday and you could still get tickets for £27 (and resales were available for £22)! That's very good value for 5 hours of action, and incredible considering the cheapest smackdown tickets recently were £90. I know that's comparing Apples with oranges but well done to AEW on that.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
looks like Jack Perry and CM Punk are both suspended by AEW and will miss All Out

How much of an absolute nightmare must it be trying to work with Punk?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A bit of good news in wrestling, Jery Lawler made an appearance at last night's Raw event in front of the Memphis crowd. I believe it's his first public appearance, at least first WWE appearance since suffering a stroke back in February.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
looks like Jack Perry and CM Punk are both suspended by AEW and will miss All Out

How much of an absolute nightmare must it be trying to work with Punk?
Seems a bit of a mess - Sports Illustrated have an article noting the suspensions, but as of 30mins ago, reports were that no one had told CM Punk (it's unknown if anyone had told Jack Perry).

Bit of bad timing, not just with the altercation casting a cloud over the biggest event in wrestling, but if Punk is suspended as of now he would miss events in his 'home town' Chicago, where a lot of his supporters will be having bought tickets for him. (Though reports are that they are struggling to get over 3000 to attend dynamite, so maybe saying 'a lot of his supporters' is overstating how big the crowd will be).

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm going to check out All In tomorrow night on one of the ITV channels - I've not watched a huge amount of AEW, so going in with an open mind.

I went to a couple of Wrestlemania's years ago, and I definitely came away thinking that, while watching wrestling on TV is fine, being there live is on a totally different level, you get totally immersed in it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Any chat about WWF/WCW from about 1988 to 1999, I'm all over it. Purely a nostalgia fest for me, lost interest when Attitude Era ended and it's never gotten me back really.

I recommend WrestleMe (podcast) to anyone of a similar timeline, Pete from The Football Ramble and a buddy of his go back and watch every Wrestlemania from the very first to the present day.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Any chat about WWF/WCW from about 1988 to 1999, I'm all over it. Purely a nostalgia fest for me, lost interest when Attitude Era ended and it's never gotten me back really.

I recommend WrestleMe (podcast) to anyone of a similar timeline, Pete from The Football Ramble and a buddy of his go back and watch every Wrestlemania from the very first to the present day.
I think a lot of AEW's fan base say they were in a similar position until AEW came along. Have you checked that out?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think a lot of AEW's fan base say they were in a similar position until AEW came along. Have you checked that out?
Not properly. Had a few half goes and probably will again at some point. I do wonder though if it's just too baked in nostalgia that anything new just doesn't feel right.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not properly. Had a few half goes and probably will again at some point. I do wonder though if it's just too baked in nostalgia that anything new just doesn't feel right.
Entirely possible. As this thread shows, I still watch, but I'm constantly thinking it's not as good as it was, that most of today's "stars" would be midcarders back then.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Entirely possible. As this thread shows, I still watch, but I'm constantly thinking it's not as good as it was, that most of today's "stars" would be midcarders back then.
It's also just growing up, and changing tastes. I loved the Attitude Era as a young teen. Probably wouldn't be watching it now.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
It's also just growing up, and changing tastes. I loved the Attitude Era as a young teen. Probably wouldn't be watching it now.
I watch the rock vs Mankind I quit match last weekend. Defo wouldn't be wanting to see that every week!!!

I also think today's stars wouldn't be able to get "over" by swearing, running someone over or simulating sleeping with a corpse so it's two different worlds really. The TV landscape has changed and we shouldn't hold it against the wrestlers for not being the same, I guess we have to accept it for what it is now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here