Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "will he/won't he Noone to Cardiff" thread

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Triple his wages, this speculation doesn't sound good. Hopefully he'll remember where his loyalty is, and that we've got a trip home for him to Liverpool coming up!

Football has no loyalty when money Is Involved.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
To drag it back on topic...

(1) Noone's final ball is not poor, or shit, or lacking. He was playing as our only creative outlet in a truly dire sequence of performances, where our idea for winning a game was, give it to Noone, hope he can beat the two or sometimes even three players marking him out of the game, and if he can beat them, he then has to put a cross onto CMS' head, who is being marked out of the game himself by two enormous Championship centre backs. No wonder he went off the boil, like CMS he has no help whatsoever, he was just expected to do it on his own. Does nobody remember Sunderland, or Liverpool, or Blackpool, or Donny? Noone torments fullbacks just as much as Kaz/Buckley, he just does it in a different way.
(2) He doesn't have the pace of Buckley/LuaLua, but what he does have is trickery, his dribbling and close control is 10x better than either of them. I'm loving Buckley's form at the moment and Kaz is electrifying when he's running at someone, but when we play teams who park the bus and there's no room in behind the full back for Kaz or Buckley to run at and get to the byline, Noone's ability to trick his way past defenders into space will be invaluable.
(3) If Gus is looking to play 442, does no-one think we might actually NEED three wingers? Have we learnt nothing of our injuries this season? Sure, Noone wouldn't be first pick at the moment, but both Kaz & Buckley have had their injury problems this year and we're fully aware of the Vicente situation. All it needs is one of them to get injured and suddenly we're forcing square pegs into round holes again, playing Hoskins or Barnes on the wing when they're supposed to be upfront.
(4) If the £950k/1m rumour is correct, that's still as derisory as £450k. WHY would we want to sell one of our key players for that sort of money? We're not potless anymore, we're not at the Withdean, we CAN stick up for ourselves and refuse to budge until a proper valuation is met. I'm sorry but if we were offering £1m for Whittingham they'd be pissing themselves laughing. Noone is one of our better players and if we're accepting figures of £1m then we're getting bent over just like we did for Benno. Top 8 Championship wingers are worth £2.5-3m. FACT. £950k is a f***ing joke, regardless of this thread being started as a wind-up.

I can't believe the lack of ambition some people show. What would selling Noone actually achieve?
- Less than a million in the bank (which we don't need)
- down to 2 (injury-prone) wingers in our squad at the time we're hoping to change formation and will need squad depth
- a message to our players and to the division that we let clubs take the piss
- a side at the top end of our division, where we want to be, get one of our better players to come back and tear Calde a new arsehole when we play them at the Amex.

Never has :facepalm: been more needed.

Oooooo SPOT ON there!

Can someone just explain to me what the latest is as I'm new to this thread and can't be bothered to read it all - Has a bid been accepted and why are people sayin Noone wants to go etc?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Latest is Gus has said no new offers from Cardiff which goes completely against what was being said yesterday in that an offer has already been accepted. Strange one.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Latest is Gus has said no new offers from Cardiff which goes completely against what was being said yesterday in that an offer has already been accepted. Strange one.

Yeh I assumed it was done deal from texts / tweets etc but was out yesterday so haven't kept up. Also I assume Reyes is going to sign yeh...?!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
brightonrock - I can't argue with you in principle but your valuation is off IMHO.

We paid £1m for Buckley. A mill for Noone seems to be about on the money to me.

The question then is do we want or need to sell him? And of course we'd hope the answer is no and no. But that's not the only consideration.

For example - and this is based on what I read - Gus is not happy with our wage structure. it makes us unable to compete with some clubs. If that's the case, then what happens if Cardeiff come in for Noone and tripple his wages from perhaps £4k to £12k? Will Gus stand in his way if we can't/won't match it? He has reapetedly said he would not.

Noone might go - and there could be many reasons, not all of which are under our control.

I sincerely hope not - he's a little diamond (and I'm still getting over losing Benno)

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I doubt Noone wants to go but his agent is obviously going to use this interest to try and renegotiate his contract. If he is on 4k at present (not sure how anyone knows this but it sounds about right if he hasn't had a new deal since he came from PAFC) then there is scope for a rise and he has earned it tbh. I agree with those saying we should keep him if we can, squad strength is vital.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Oooooo SPOT ON there!

Can someone just explain to me what the latest is as I'm new to this thread and can't be bothered to read it all - Has a bid been accepted and why are people sayin Noone wants to go etc?

I believe in the press conference this morning Gus said no bids have been accepted (or possibly none have been made?). Not 100% though.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
is he not till under contract...?? is it not , therefore up to us wether he goes or not ...?? we will be in the prem before cardiff ,they are perennial chokers..have been for the last 5 or 6 years , they will get spanked by liverpool ( as we will probably ) and finish about 8th or 9th............he would be bonkers to go and we would be mad to let him unless the price is right........!!!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Poyet said in the press conference this morning, no bids have been made for Noone.....

Not strange, as above, no bids have been made. Might be worth taking a look at who is posting the claims of bid, offers, wages etc.

If he is on 4k at present (not sure how anyone knows this but it sounds about right if he hasn't had a new deal since he came from PAFC) .

Answered your own question there. I really don't understand why people speculate with so much confidence as to what a player earns, when it has never been made public. Unless CN, TB, his agent or mum has told someone, then it is just pure guesswork. If it has been told to someone, then I would take it with a pinch of salt. No-one at the club is going to give out such private information, unless they want it out there, in which case anyone claiming to be ITK should reveal their sources.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I really don't understand why people speculate with so much confidence as to what a player earns, when it has never been made public.

I think too many people believe what is in FM2012

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I really don't understand why people speculate with so much confidence as to what a player earns, when it has never been made public. Unless CN, TB, his agent or mum has told someone, then it is just pure guesswork.

If you're referring to my comment Superphil, I'd point out that I did say "perhaps" to make it clear that this was just a for example amount. However, we know roughly what the Albion pay structure is don't we? We understand that leading players such as Glenn Murray were on £8k and that's probably close to where our ceiling is now. I've read that at the bottom end £1-2k is what a squad player can expect. So the rest are likely to be getting somewhere between £1k and around £8k. So Noone on £4k - could be. My point was that if Cardiff - who have been in The Championship for far longer than us - could offer a big hike in wages Noone might want to go. I know that despite enjoying my job, if a comparable rival company offered me 3x more, I'd be off.

I'm under contract - like Nooney. But his is longer. So then the buying club need to compensate us for the loss. Then it's about the clubs agreeing a price. £1m for Noone? Looks like a good profit in an area where we have some strong (although somewhat injury-prone and slightly different style) contenders. If the money was made available to Gus, he might feel that wedge could strengthen the squad more than it would be weakened by losing Noone.

All speculation - but just as plausible as the "we don't need to sell so we shouldn't" reaction from some people. Maybe we want to if we think we can use the resources to strengthen overall?

It's all fun isn't it!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
In reply to two above, a bid was made. Gus has said no new bid has been made.

Sorry, I misunderstood the previous post that read Poyet said in the press conference that "no bids had been made for Noone"

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was just browsing for Noone related drivel on Twitter and found this...

"ESFRS say 6 pumps and aerial ladder at fire at La Tasca restaurant in North Rd Brighton. Building heavily smoke logged, noone hurt."

Hopefully he is OK. Quite a shock to hear that it was neither Wagamama nor Nandos.

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Originally Posted by brightonrock
To drag it back on topic...

(1) Noone's final ball is not poor, or shit, or lacking. He was playing as our only creative outlet in a truly dire sequence of performances, where our idea for winning a game was, give it to Noone, hope he can beat the two or sometimes even three players marking him out of the game, and if he can beat them, he then has to put a cross onto CMS' head, who is being marked out of the game himself by two enormous Championship centre backs. No wonder he went off the boil, like CMS he has no help whatsoever, he was just expected to do it on his own. Does nobody remember Sunderland, or Liverpool, or Blackpool, or Donny? Noone torments fullbacks just as much as Kaz/Buckley, he just does it in a different way.
(2) He doesn't have the pace of Buckley/LuaLua, but what he does have is trickery, his dribbling and close control is 10x better than either of them. I'm loving Buckley's form at the moment and Kaz is electrifying when he's running at someone, but when we play teams who park the bus and there's no room in behind the full back for Kaz or Buckley to run at and get to the byline, Noone's ability to trick his way past defenders into space will be invaluable.
(3) If Gus is looking to play 442, does no-one think we might actually NEED three wingers? Have we learnt nothing of our injuries this season? Sure, Noone wouldn't be first pick at the moment, but both Kaz & Buckley have had their injury problems this year and we're fully aware of the Vicente situation. All it needs is one of them to get injured and suddenly we're forcing square pegs into round holes again, playing Hoskins or Barnes on the wing when they're supposed to be upfront.
(4) If the £950k/1m rumour is correct, that's still as derisory as £450k. WHY would we want to sell one of our key players for that sort of money? We're not potless anymore, we're not at the Withdean, we CAN stick up for ourselves and refuse to budge until a proper valuation is met. I'm sorry but if we were offering £1m for Whittingham they'd be pissing themselves laughing. Noone is one of our better players and if we're accepting figures of £1m then we're getting bent over just like we did for Benno. Top 8 Championship wingers are worth £2.5-3m. FACT. £950k is a f***ing joke, regardless of this thread being started as a wind-up.

I can't believe the lack of ambition some people show. What would selling Noone actually achieve?
- Less than a million in the bank (which we don't need)
- down to 2 (injury-prone) wingers in our squad at the time we're hoping to change formation and will need squad depth
- a message to our players and to the division that we let clubs take the piss
- a side at the top end of our division, where we want to be, get one of our better players to come back and tear Calde a new arsehole when we play them at the Amex.

Never has been more needed.

Good Post !

Lewes Seagull

Jan 23, 2010
I was just browsing for Noone related drivel on Twitter and found this...

"ESFRS say 6 pumps and aerial ladder at fire at La Tasca restaurant in North Rd Brighton. Building heavily smoke logged, noone hurt."

Hopefully he is OK. Quite a shock to hear that it was neither Wagamama nor Nandos.

That made me laugh that did

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
BBC Sport - Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay cool on January window

Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay insisted there will be no "knee-jerk reaction" from the club as the January transfer window closes on Tuesday night.

The Bluebirds have had a £500,000 offer for Brighton winger Craig Noone rejected by their Championship rivals.

"I've got nothing to say on [the Noone bid]," said Mackay.

"There will be no knee jerk reaction. We have had targets all the way along. We get to see whether they come off or don't come off, and some haven't."

Mackay inisted that if the club was not successful in the transfer window they could always fall back on the laon market.

"But we are fully focused that what we are doing is the right thing at the football club for the football club and there won't be anything that will be last gasp," added Mackay.

"The loan window opens in seven days again. We have a fully fit squad right now and we have a group of players here who are desperate to do well for the football club and that is the most important thing.

"The old clock ticks down. It's like some sort of nuclear bomb's ready to happen tomorrow night and we have a game in the middle of it all.

"But we'll keep doing our business the way we do up until that point and if it works then it comes off fine, but if it doesn't, if it's not right for the football club, then we'll continue in the loan market."

Mackay would like to bolster his options on the flanks as Scot Craig Conway is currently his only recognised winger now the Cardiff manager has moved Peter Whittingham into a playmaker role in the middle of the Bluebirds midfield.

And Noone would fit into Cardiff's plans although the club have not believed to have improved their offer to Brighton.

Noone started his career at non-league Skelmersdale United in the 2005/06 season and ended up ended up at Plymouth via spells with Burscough and Southport.

Brighton signed the former Liverpool trainee from Plymouth Argyle in the 2011 January window and he scored two stunning goals as Gus Poyet's men romped to the League One title last season.

Noone, who impressed in man-of-the-match display in Brighton's 2-1 League Cup defeat to Liverpool earlier this season, still has two-and-a-half years remaining on his Amex Stadium contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here