The Streets, When You Wasnt Famous

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Voroshilov said:
Oh do grow up. You sound like some 15 year old nerd. Just because an act is liked by the press it doesn't make them crap. He's not the messiah (he's a very naughty boy), but he does make music that is a bit different to most of the "product" knocking around the charts.

Theres a difference between being liked by the press and getting given the "ALL HAIL OUR NEW GOD" treatment that most music magazines give a certain act every month. The band or artist on the receiving end of that is usually shit. NME, which enigma mentioned, and Hot Press, which I mentioned, have a particularly good habit of picking an utterly shit artist to have their masturbatory fantasies over that month.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
Mike Skinner = Pam Ayres for the 21st Century

Utter POny

altough I,d love to see him do a cover of-
"I wish I looked after my teeth!"

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
The Wookiee said:
i am not raising the debate if the Streets are shite or not but that track is written about some female singer who he had a fling with who clearly likes to induldge in a few class A's :eek:

Just intrigued to know who it is???

isnt it joe whiley from radio 1?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
At the weekend, I saw five rhubarb and custard-faced chavs crammed into a car with devil horns fitted at the back and they had the "geezer talks about chips and birds over Casio keyboard 'disco' drumbeat" playing out loud (you know, to impress the old ladies shopping). They looked comically mong-daft - hard not to laugh at them.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Digweed said:
Music?!

So pressing 'rythm 7c' on his yamaha drum machine then talking about a wet dream he'd had the night before is now music is it?

Christ, if its that easy i'm going to give up the day job..

Yes grandad, the problem with these modern beat combos is they don't have a proper tune, not like that lovely Glen Miller.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
enigma said:
Haha talentless is he? I think not. Try original and groundbreaking.

I see you come up with the same snobby bollocks again MYOB.

Never midn, you lot probably all listen to whichever Indie band is getting bigged up in NME this month. Respect. :lolol:

spot on again. Every time theres a thread about the streets theres always twats come on here and make stupid stereotypes. Skinner is a normal bloke who does normal things,thinks normal things and puts it to beats. he isnt one of these 'im famous' pricks. The streets are my favourite act and are amazing live. everyone has their opinions but some of u obviously dont think alot about the deep lyrics. New song is quality as well

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
tinx said:
I've been listening to his new album a lot over the past few days and can cofnirm that he is still class, I wasn't 100% sure about the latest stuff but after now having listened a few times there's some great tunes and superb lyrics.

Highly recommended album. Regardless of genre and style of music I rate him, its not the normal style of music I would choose to listen to but when someone is doing sometihng that is definitely different it makes it so much more interesting and the streets are interesting.
MATE.. i didnt think the album was released till monday?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
sheebo said:
some of u obviously dont think alot about the deep lyrics. New song is quality as well

They lyrics are about as deep as the average thames valley water resevoir. Look at fit birds, take drugs, get drunk - thats pretty much it in the dross thats charted from him.

Maybe the album tracks are better. Doubt it, as then the record label would have put them out.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
haha

MYOB u talk utter SHITE again. uve just shot ur self in the foot by saying uve only listened to released tracks. theres so many deep lyrics in all of it. and the odd joke tune like fit but u know it. Dry ur eyes is class.if u dont like it thats ur call but dont go on with ur snobby bollox cos its BULL

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
MYOB said:
They lyrics are about as deep as the average thames valley water resevoir.

And you love New order. Who are good. Lyrics are utter utter shite though.

re: The Streets, thought Original Pirate Material was one of the freshest things I had heard in years. Unique at the time, f***ing great album. Found the second one dull.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
"Sharp Darts Spitting Masters
Spitting darts faster
Shut up I'm the driver, you're the passenger
I'll reign superior
The pressure blows the dial on your barometer
Do you understand?..."

:lolol:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
It’s almost pointless arguing about the Streets, they are a marmite band. Some people think that Mike Skinner is God and that they are the best band ever since the Beatles, others that he is a Brummie prick who has as much musical talent as my next door neighbours cat having a fight in the middle of the night.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone describe the Streets as merely ‘alright’

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports