Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Red Ball Reset: Eng v NZ 2nd Test

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm a bit confused at the winviz thing deciding we are twice as likely to win as New Zealand, have they seen England bat in the fourth innings

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Interesting. You would’ve said nailed-on draw after the first innings finished, just a steady accumulation of more runs looking most likely, but with NZ currently 206-6, all results are now possible

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
213-7…

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Set up beautifully, the bookies still see England as outsiders but I can see an England win tomorrow. Quick scoring ground, if we polish them off in the first hour as you'd expect then we should be very close by the end of play if they don't skittle us out.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, when it works it is amazing but in this day and age an opposition team will work out a plan for Stokes if he wants to come out all guns blazing. By all means he should have a swing now and again but he needs to pick the right ball....not all six an over.....we had absolutely the same thing with KP...." That's the way I play " starts to wear a bit thin when clunking it to midwicket third ball time after time.
Yes, at the time that's what I thought. I thought he was a bit too aggressive and I agreed with the other posters (and commentators) who bemoaned the fact that he'd thrown his wicket away ...

It wasn't third ball today though, was it? 46 off 33 balls. And the context being we're trying to introduce more positivity in both batting and bowling and this game is heading rapidly for a draw.
... but actually that's correct. In the 'old days' this match on this wicket would have been a 500 plays 500 bore draw and the last two days would just be the two teams going through the motions: bat sensibly, don't want to lose. Yawn. Another nail in the coffin of Test cricket.

But instead, thanks to positive batting (Joe Root's scooped six being an example that came off), we've got a fascinating final day in prospect with all four results possible. And if we lose ... well so what. Win some lose some, and it's been entertaining.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
We've got a fascinating final day in prospect with all four results possible.

1) England win.
2) NZ win.
3) Draw.
4) Um… Rock, paper, scissors?

Jimmy Grimble

Christ, imagine the tension of a Test Match going down to the final ball with all four outcomes still possible. Two required off the last ball with 9 wickets down?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Except a lot less on the line!

And there's a good chance it won't be tense at all, if NZ get the lead up to 300, i'm not sure we'll chase it, given we're winning the series.

Also quite possible, given England's batting over the last few years that their quicks take early wickets and we succumb to the pressure and are finished off before tea

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
And there's a good chance it won't be tense at all, if NZ get the lead up to 300, i'm not sure we'll chase it, given we're winning the series.

Also quite possible, given England's batting over the last few years that their quicks take early wickets and we succumb to the pressure and are finished off before Lunch

Corrected to better reflect reality.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here