Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Red Ball Reset: Eng v NZ 2nd Test

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I can certainly remember England doing it - in Adelaide in 2006 when they collapsed in the third innings

Collingwood double ton. I remember being out that Saturday with Aussies 170 odd for three and thinking England might level. The advantage of having a quality spinner in the third innings.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
England finished that in 50 overs.

Apparently the players were hypnotised. They think they won on the last ball.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The final hour or so of that was a piece of history, just incredible.

What a 2 weeks for England, what a turnaround...

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
How many teams have lost having scored 837 runs in a test match!?

Good question. After some research, here's one.

4th Test, Leeds, 1948.

England scored 861 (496 and 865/8d), but Australia chased it down with 458 and 404/3.

Don Bradman scored 173* in the 2nd innings.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/australia-tour-of-england-1948-61329/england-vs-australia-4th-test-62688/full-scorecard

The match against West Indies at Leeds in 2017 saw England declare on 490 in their second innings.

The Windies chased down 320 odd. I was so pleased at the time because a strong West Indies Test side is good for the game.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Probably need one of Lees, Bairstow or Stokes to get a century now, there’s not a lot of batting beyond those three.

Is the correct answer !

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The match against West Indies at Leeds in 2017 saw England declare on 490 in their second innings.

The Windies chased down 320 odd. I was so pleased at the time because a strong West Indies Test side is good for the game.

England scored 748 in that match so not quite up to NZ's 837 in this match. Than 1948 Ashes test is definitely one with England scoring 861 and still losing.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
England fined 40% of their match fee from Trent Bridge and docked two World Test Championship points for slow over rates. Justice for the crowds and viewers starved of entertainment during the test.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
England fined 40% of their match fee from Trent Bridge and docked two World Test Championship points for slow over rates. Justice for the crowds and viewers starved of entertainment during the test.

That'll learn 'em

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Blimey, I thought you were joking but apparently it's true: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...ts-for-slow-over-rate-at-trent-bridge-1320047

That's like stopping to heroically save children from a blazing orphanage, being thanked by the police, then getting back to your car and finding they've given you a parking ticket.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I feel for the fans on Tuesday who payed for transportation (not tickets) but has to put up with it! Can they be refunded I wonder??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here