Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Red Ball Reset: Eng v NZ 2nd Test

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I've got a mate who went to Trent Bridge today. He reckons it wasn't shitehouse.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
How much longer will Bairstow be given chances?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Bloody annoying. Being a Friday start means missing days 4 & 5 because of work.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Agree. But that is the way Stokes plays , and when it works it is amazing. If everyone in the top eight could chip in with a quick 40+ then things would be ok but he needs to read the game situation better . Don't think he will change
Yes, when it works it is amazing but in this day and age an opposition team will work out a plan for Stokes if he wants to come out all guns blazing. By all means he should have a swing now and again but he needs to pick the right ball....not all six an over.....we had absolutely the same thing with KP...." That's the way I play " starts to wear a bit thin when clunking it to midwicket third ball time after time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, when it works it is amazing but in this day and age an opposition team will work out a plan for Stokes if he wants to come out all guns blazing. By all means he should have a swing now and again but he needs to pick the right ball....not all six an over.....we had absolutely the same thing with KP...." That's the way I play " starts to wear a bit thin when clunking it to midwicket third ball time after time.

It wasn't third ball today though, was it? 46 off 33 balls. And the context being we're trying to introduce more positivity in both batting and bowling and this game is heading rapidly for a draw.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

That bloody Kevin Pietersen averaging 47 and scoring 23 test match hundreds.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It wasn't third ball today though, was it? 46 off 33 balls. And the context being we're trying to introduce more positivity in both batting and bowling and this game is heading rapidly for a draw.

Absolutely. Test cricket dies with a mindset we’re 1 up in a series let’s bat out a draw with over 2 days left. Stokes came out and said as captain I trust that we have 5 wickets after me and I’m going to try to win this game still. I love him for that, as I loved KP for tearing a bowling attack to shreds. Has he stayed we might have been close to level at stumps, as it was Foakes steadied it but we still scored.

This test in the past would be a snooze fest as no way England would be thinking about winning it. Love the fact the captain was willing to risk his wicket to have a go.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'd love to know what BG would've made of Root's recent performances. Even HE would be impressed, Shirley?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The intent was there quite early on though, KP is the prime example of trying to go off like a train before getting used to the pitch.... he's not going to get increasingly large scores by playing this way as the team bowling will know what to expect and put plans in place to combat it. For reference, England were 209 runs behind when Stokes came to the crease, if he had gone cheaply we could have been 5 down and still almost 200 behind with a weak tail that could crumble for 30-40 runs.... besides, there were obviously runs in the wicket playing conventionally even for Pope !

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The intent was there quite early on though, KP is the prime example of trying to go off like a train before getting used to the pitch.... he's not going to get increasingly large scores by playing this way as the team bowling will know what to expect and put plans in place to combat it. For reference, England were 209 runs behind when Stokes came to the crease, if he had gone cheaply we could have been 5 down and still almost 200 behind with a weak tail that could crumble for 30-40 runs.... besides, there were obviously runs in the wicket playing conventionally even for Pope !

Not the time left to win the game though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not the time left to win the game though.

At the point in the game when Bairstow went cheaply it was one heck of a gamble to play a T20 innings...

Edit : especially when wickets can fall quickly and cheaply when pushing the scoring...like this morning.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
At the point in the game when Bairstow went cheaply it was one heck of a gamble to play a T20 innings...

Edit : especially when wickets can fall quickly and cheaply when pushing the scoring...like this morning.

Agree, England have risked defeat in going for victory. Even this morning have scored quickly and taken the game forwards.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Far from over this match. Nice wicket, but these huge scores are as much down to dropped catches.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's entertaining and that's the approach from Bazza and Stokesy, relentless positive thinking. You do think it will catch us out from time to time when some pragmatism is needed but it should be entertaining at least. So far so good for the red ball reset.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
1 up in the series, England could easily have seen this as a draw, but have gone all out to push toward a result. Fair play to them. Great attitude this morning, even if it went against us a bit.

Will be very interesting to see how hard NZ go at this. Do they go hard early then put the brakes on if they lose wickets, or build a more traditional innings. England may well create NZ's best chance of a win if they bowl them out for a tempting total.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
odds.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here