[Albion] The "Out in Marseille and this may help someone" thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NottinghamGull

Sep 21, 2023
Nottingham
So post match is the Metro likely to be safer than walking back to our hotel?
Difficult to know and you may get better advice from those who have been to Europe watching other teams or England. My observations on Marseille transport

* Be careful of regular taxis. I’ve heard a few comments about them taking the scenic route and running up the meter. If you must use these, have google maps or Waze route with volume turned up so they know you know where they are going!
* Uber seems to be safe and you can enter exact start and finish points, know the fare and pay automatically. Good if you don’t speak French
* The metro and tram have been very safe and easy. Only a small number of lines and well signposted. Cost is fixed price per journey and if you get on a connection within 60 minutes of starting it’s no extra but still need to tap in. You buy from machines at the stop/station. A single ticket is €2 or a card with 10 trips is €15. 10c service charge and pay by card. You can share the ticket, just pass it back as you go through the gate
* Having some Euros in cash is useful. Some of the coffee stops have been cash only. Not sure about taxis. Some have minimum €10 spend on card
* Google maps helps get around
* Citymapper app is fantastic and sorts out route including public transport just like London
* I would recommend downloading Google Translate and the French dictionary for offline use if your French is basic. Camera function works great on menus, signs etc

Hope this helps….

axscott

Jan 10, 2022
So I've got a ticket to the game, but none of my mates had the balls / were organised enough to come.

Would love to find a few friendly people to drink with before the game. No idea what to expect, but I'm just a smidge hesitant going around on my own.

Anyone up for a random bloke to join them? I'm 34 and I'm a bog standard standard grew up in Brighton now live in London type 😅
Hey, im in a similar boat and there are plenty of us I'm sure! I'm also going there for a short holiday before and after the game since I've got the days off work anyway! I'm 27 myself but still living on the south coast :cool: Can get a new thread/use this one to get a gang going (as Tommy Shelby says "no f****** fighting!")

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What's the opposite of schadenfreude? I'm genuinely delighted for everyone going.

Incredible times.
Yeah - same. I never tried to get a ticket for this one, so no feeling of missing out or such - just reading everyone's travel plans, etc, I'm sharing their excitement.

Hope everyone has a f***ing BALL.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yes, it's all a bit surreal.

I took my son to his first game (v Cambridge in 1998) at Gillingham. He was about 3 and a half.

He was one of the 2,746 who went that day (and that includes the away fans)

There will probably be more Albion in Marseille tomorrow compared to that day at Gillingham.

We lost 2-0

Tomorrow he's flying out to France to see us play in Marseille in the Europa League in a stadium with a capacity of 67,000

What a journey.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Start my journey tomorrow at LGW. Flight to Lyon, client meeting there and then the train to Marseille. Client meeting Thursday morning and then I'm free. Can't wait.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Difficult to know and you may get better advice from those who have been to Europe watching other teams or England. My observations on Marseille transport

* Be careful of regular taxis. I’ve heard a few comments about them taking the scenic route and running up the meter. If you must use these, have google maps or Waze route with volume turned up so they know you know where they are going!
* Uber seems to be safe and you can enter exact start and finish points, know the fare and pay automatically. Good if you don’t speak French
* The metro and tram have been very safe and easy. Only a small number of lines and well signposted. Cost is fixed price per journey and if you get on a connection within 60 minutes of starting it’s no extra but still need to tap in. You buy from machines at the stop/station. A single ticket is €2 or a card with 10 trips is €15. 10c service charge and pay by card. You can share the ticket, just pass it back as you go through the gate
* Having some Euros in cash is useful. Some of the coffee stops have been cash only. Not sure about taxis. Some have minimum €10 spend on card
* Google maps helps get around
* Citymapper app is fantastic and sorts out route including public transport just like London
* I would recommend downloading Google Translate and the French dictionary for offline use if your French is basic. Camera function works great on menus, signs etc

Hope this helps….
Thank you that's all very useful. What transport would you recommend for airport to the ticket collection area?

Wallace

Nov 9, 2016

Attachments

• IMG_20231003_103017675.jpg
    IMG_20231003_103017675.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73

NottinghamGull

Sep 21, 2023
Nottingham
My son is finishing up work in London over the next few hours and the getting to Gatwick for the EasyJet 18:10 direct to Marseille. I’ll pick him up just after 9pm. Rosé already chilling. Although he’s late 20s, he’s not quite been on the same journey as some of us oldies. But he has “suffered” the inherited affliction of being a lonely Seagull. It’s only the last year or two that his mates have respected the football we play.

There is one family member who is not quite so happy! Mrs NG and I had booked 3 nights in Epernay for some champagne tasting on the drive back through France and a convenient stop on the way to Dieppe. Then the draw got made I registered interest and hoped a new A+ member and his higher points son could somehow get two tickets. Couldn’t believe Tuesday 2pm and we got them. Surprised we did not sell out after the numbers registered in advance and then extended to non pre registered fans.

I’m sure the missus will make me pay for this in some way, but she does get her son to join us for a few days. Off to a delightful visit back to a Calanaque next to Cassis tomorrow. She’s joining us for lunch on the big day and will get to see some of the atmosphere before getting an Uber back to the Airbnb.

UTA and see some you over the next few days…

Last edited:

NottinghamGull

Sep 21, 2023
Nottingham
Thank you that's all very useful. What transport would you recommend for airport to the ticket collection area?
Some people we spoke to got a shuttle bus to the Aix TGV train station and then train to the centre. Sub €10 each I think.

If there’s a group of you then Uber should be €40-50.

Would recommend you download Citymapper and Rome2Rio apps

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Excellent work/life balance!
Indeed. Managed to also book a client meeting in Amsterdam on 9th November as well. What a coincidence the Albion play there that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports