The Open

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Just got back waited about till 3 to see if Rory was coming out but was told they didnt think he was, got very luck on the way to see Westwood on the practise range.

Had a cracking chat with barry mcguigan on the practise range top fella.

Shot of the day that i saw was jimenez on the 9th.

The wind out there is just beyond words, its going to be a very low scoring tournament, and the greens are evil

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
get the top 50 golfers and stick a pin in the page.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
dont suppose u spoke t Barry about the Haye fight?

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
dont suppose u spoke t Barry about the Haye fight?

Lol no didnt mention Boxing funny enough, i was surprised to see him there, he was with his Wife i think and someone else not sure who that was, was surprised he was in with the public.

I have a few pics il upload them later but not sure how to without using image shack, see Ken doing his walk round the course, i tried to have my pic taken with him but he didnt seem up for it at all.

They had this HSBC tent were ya tried to get out this steep bunker, i ant swung a club in a long long time and missed the ball twice, i had about 20people watching me also :facepalm:.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Lol no didnt mention Boxing funny enough, i was surprised to see him there, he was with his Wife i think and someone else not sure who that was, was surprised he was in with the public.

I have a few pics il upload them later but not sure how to without using image shack, see Ken doing his walk round the course, i tried to have my pic taken with him but he didnt seem up for it at all.

They had this HSBC tent were ya tried to get out this steep bunker, i ant swung a club in a long long time and missed the ball twice, i had about 20people watching me also :facepalm:.

I bet its a good time to go watch (the practice rounds that is) Ive only been a few times and thats been on the days when the comp is going on ad its so hard to actually see any play. Im going sunday and i have no idea where to watch from, wheter to follow one group round or stay in one position and see the groups come through!

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I would say the 9th is a good bet, bloody tough whole aswell, i sat in the grandstand there today for a couple of hours, was good, the wind is causing havoc i think only a handful got on the green while i was there, jimenez hit an amazing shot in was unreal, was the only round of applause i heard.

That said the american group with, Fowler and that in it had a huge following.

I just see on Sky News that Rory did go out grrrrrrrrr

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Im going friday and the weather is forecast to be good but Rain on the way in the evening expected about 7pm. Can honestly say i dont have a clue what to wear. I was thinking shorts, tee-shirt and a nice warm hoodie/jumper to protect against the wind. Is it too cold there for shorts.
Also going by train leaving at 5.30 in the morning might be a bit chilly too!!!

Also can anyone enlighten me on what happens with Mobile Phones while you are there. I definately need to at the very least be available for calls on the way up there and on way home, but i gather they are not allowed on the course? Do they have a way you can store them safely anywhere?

The group i would love to see is the Luke Donald, Sergio Garcia and the Japanese fella.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Im going friday and the weather is forecast to be good but Rain on the way in the evening expected about 7pm. Can honestly say i dont have a clue what to wear. I was thinking shorts, tee-shirt and a nice warm hoodie/jumper to protect against the wind. Is it too cold there for shorts.
Also going by train leaving at 5.30 in the morning might be a bit chilly too!!!

Also can anyone enlighten me on what happens with Mobile Phones while you are there. I definately need to at the very least be available for calls on the way up there and on way home, but i gather they are not allowed on the course? Do they have a way you can store them safely anywhere?

The group i would love to see is the Luke Donald, Sergio Garcia and the Japanese fella.

There were tons of people in shorts today but they did look cold lol, i would wear trousers, i did a bad thing and wore jeans lol.

Phones will be taken of you and put in some safe thing they have one at the park and ride and one at the main entrance, they do search you on the way.

Its about 15min walk from the station, personally i think it looks further than that lol. I got the park and ride and it was so easy to do, parking was £5.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
There were tons of people in shorts today but they did look cold lol, i would wear trousers, i did a bad thing and wore jeans lol.

Phones will be taken of you and put in some safe thing they have one at the park and ride and one at the main entrance, they do search you on the way.

Its about 15min walk from the station, personally i think it looks further than that lol. I got the park and ride and it was so easy to do, parking was £5.

Thanks for the info! Did they have a problem with jeans then as i thought for spectators jeans were ok?

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Here’s my run down of the top players in the betting and a few outsiders and most of it was written last week before the Scottish Open / John Deere and some of the odds are different now. Players in bold are those who I've backed. I'm off down there on Thursday when it looks like the wind is going to be up, poss rain too early on, but decreasing during the afternoon so it may favour the later starters. Was in St Andrews all week last year and really looking forward to it.

I feel that Thursday is always the best day for viewing at The Open as its the quietest day (this will be my 4th). Will watch the rest on TV apart from Saturday when I'm playing 36 holes in a bad clash of dates.

The front runners....

Rory McIlroy - A brilliant pillar to post winner of the US Open but having had 3 weeks off to party he might be a gallop short here. He led last year at St Andrews after round 1 but an 80 in the 2nd round did for him there. He played very well in the Masters before imploding on the back 9. 6/1 is plenty short enough at this moment of his career. Yes, he could win but I'd rather take him on than back him here.

Lee Westwood – Perennial Major contender and blower with 6 top 3 finishes in his last 12 majors is a great record but he should surely have won at least one of those. 3rd in the US Open but never in contention at the weekend which is quite typical. No surprise if he’s in the top 10 but I can’t see him winning. 10/1 is a joke price.

Luke Donald – the worlds number one has a poor record in majors and has never really looked like winning one. Not got a great Open record, 5th in 2009 is his best, and he missed the cut here in 2003. Like Westwood it would be no surprise if he’s in the top 10 but I can’t see him winning. 14/1 is another terrible price. Subsequently won in Scotland but still not for me in a major.

Martin Kaymer – he won the US PGA last season and started the season on fire with a brilliant performance in Abu Dhabi but decided to change the shape of his shot for the Masters and has struggled ever since. Has recently shown an upturn in form so he could be a contender here but 22/1 doesn’t appeal much but more so than any of the first 3 in the betting.

Sergio Garcia – one of the best ballstrikers in the game but has been let down by his putting time after time, so much so that he took time off last season to get his head straight. He’s had plenty of top 10s in majors but has never putted well enough to win. He hasn’t won since 2009 and it takes a huge leap of faith to see him winning The Open. It would be great to see him win but I just can’t see his putting holding up when push comes to shove on Sunday Afternoon. 33/1 doesn’t appeal.

Nick Watney – he’s had a great season so far and shown no signs that the blowup in last years PGA has affected him. He’s had 8 top 10s including 2 wins this season so far taking down the WGC Cadillac Championships and the AT&T last week. His performance on Sunday last week was very assured as he looked in complete control even when KJ Choi came at him. He is a good driver of the ball (5th on the PGA Tour in total driving) which has led him to being 13th in greens in regulation. He also leads the tour in total putting and is a great putter from inside 15 feet. He’s played in the Open 3 times and was 7th at St Andrews last year so no worries on that count. He is my idea of a bet here although the 50/1 of last week is long gone the 33/1 is still value. If I had to pick just one player it would be Watney.

Jason Day – one of the most improved players on tour this season with 7 top 10s and although he hasn’t won this season he was 2nd in both the Masters and US Open showing that he can mix it with the best. There’s no doubting he’s a very solid golfer but can he make the step up to winning? He probably can but the odds of 33/1 are a bit skinny for me.

Phil Mickelson – Lefty struggles on link courses and thats the reason why he’s 33/1 here. His Open record is appalling for a player so good as Phil and just one top 10 is reason enough to leave him alone. Take into account his awful driving I can’t see him contending here and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Phil taking an early flight home.

Graeme McDowell – He had a breakthrough win in the US Open last year but has struggled a bit since then and has blamed the fact he was the US Open winner so he’ll be looking to kick on again now. His Open record is poor given he grew up on the links in Ireland and 11th, in 2005, is the best he’s done so far. I can’t be having him here at 35/1.

Dustin Johnson – two wins on the US tour last season he’s yet to achieve a win this season but was 2nd in the Cadillac to Nick Watney and has had 3 other top 10 finishes in 2011. He’s a big bomber, 4th in driving distance, he’s a touch wayward but is 18th in Greens in Regulation so it doesn’t do him much harm. He’s had 3 top 10s in majors out of just 11 appearances including last year in the US PGA when he picked up a dodgy penalty shot for grounding his club on a piece of wasteland that was actually a bunker. He was 14th in the Open last year at St Andrews. No stranger to winning on Links courses he won the Pebble Beach pro-am in 2009 and 2010. He’s a bit of a loose cannon but is learning all the time and I give him a chance here as his distance will be all important. 45/1 is fair enough value.

Charl Schwartzel – the Masters winner after birdies on his last 4 holes, he really has stepped up a gear this season. He was 9th in the US Open and has been in the top 20 in his last 5 majors including 14th at St Andrews last season. He also won the Joburg Open this season. His all round play has been good this season and he has a great swing which holds up under pressure now. He will have gained tremendous confidence from winning the Masters and I wouldn’t be surprised if he won the Open too. 45/1 now looks far too big especially as I’m on at 40s.

Ian Poulter – he won the Volvo Matchplay this year but he’s been pretty poor in strokeplay competitions on both sides of the Atlantic. His record in majors is poor with just 3 top 10s which included 2nd in the Open in 2008. 40/1 is awful value and there’s no way he’s winning this.

Padraig Harrington – 3 major wins, including back to back Opens in 2007 and 2008 so he changes his swing. What a disaster and he hasn’t looked like contending since. The odd glimpse of form but 45/1 is awful value and he’s not winning this.

Steve Stricker – he’s currently playing the best golf of his life and his win at The Memorial recently was just sublime. He’s had 3 other top 10s this season too. He struggled at the US Open after a poor first round but rallied to finish under par in 19th. His major record isn’t great but he has had 9 top 10 finishes., 2 of which have been in The Open. He’s not overly long off the tee but is a very accurate ball striker with his irons and on a good day there’s not many that can touch him on the greens. 50/1 looks fair value to me and that will go if he has a good week in the John Deere, where has won in the last two years. Subsequently won the John Deere and his price has collapsed - a big chance.

The Outsiders who I’ve backed.....
Matt Kuchar – 7 top 10s this year and overdue a win. Not got the greatest record in Majors but I just have a feeling he’s going to do well here. Backed him at 80/1 for small stakes and the 65 on BF looks a bit big still.

Angel Cabrera - Was 125/1 during the Scottish Open and was worth a few quid each way at that as his Open record ok and in form. 7th in Masters too.

Hunter Mahan – another American due a win. He’s done nothing but drift since I backed him at 60 and is now available at 80. Not shown great form and I only had a tiny bet on him. Don’t fancy him much now.

Freddie Jacobson
– I joined the fun at 190 after he broke his duck in the Travellers last week. 6th here in 2003 so has the form. He’ll sure to be popular this week and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him tipped up all over the place.

Bo Van Pelt – I had a few quid on at 170. He’s improved this season with 8th in the Masters and 14th in the US Open and has had 5 top 15’s in a row now. Certainly over priced when compared to others at the top of the betting.

My staking:
Watney 1.5 points 50/1, 1 point 38
Schwartzel 2 points 40/1.
Dustbin 1 point 46, 1 point 40/1
Stricker 1 point 50/1, 1 point 53(avg)
Kuchar 0.5 point 80/1
Jacobson 0.5 point 190
Van Pelt 0.5 point 170
Cabrera 0.5 point ew 125/1
Mahan 0.4 point 60

Have also had a few quid on the first round leader for the late starters given the weather forecast Kaymer (46), McDowell (46), Schwartzel (85) & Stricker (55).

Good luck everyone and enjoy it to all those who are going. We found the stands at the 8th and 12th the best to watch from in 2003 when the weather was scorchio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports