Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Olympics----A waste of Time ?

Sir Royston thorne

Jun 27, 2004
How many people here are looking forward to the Olympics with dread like me ?

We can look forward to hours of "exciting" swimming ......winner in lane 4 as usual.

3 Minutes of sailing.....if we get a medal...none if we don't.

Basketball, a 7 foot freak puts a large ball in a large hole..then one of the other teams 7 foot freak's puts the large ball in the other teams lage hole..ad infinitum...

shooting....nuff said

Weightlifting, ......Lots of short muscular people lifting weights in excess of health and safety guidlines until their eyeballs pop out or they fail a drugs test/sex test.

Rowing,....well face it ,THE man is missing this year...they row too far the course is too flat and the camera at the finish never seems to line up quite with the line .

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I said this in an earlier thread...

Can I just point out what a bollocks sport Gymnastics is?

I am not talking about the supreme fitness, agility and grace of the athletes in question. Some of their tumbling, spinning, horse vaulting, ring-hanging exploits are just fantastic. Well impressive. Definitely puts my physical prowess of playing Subbuteo to shame.

I am talking about the judging system. What the f*** is that all about? Some Romanian 14 year old midget throws herself about the mats, goes flying through the air, rotating, spinning and grinning. Then half a dozen axe-beaten baboushkas award her 9.8 or whatever. The next one comes along, throws herself about again, and the same old boots give her 8.5. The next one comes (and this one is black), and she gets 5.7, and so on. And they've all done exactly the same thing...

Then the last one comes on - the red hot favourite, probably an American - falls flat on her chin (is that deliberate?), ponces about, falls badly, breaks her wrist and limps off grizzling being cuddled by someone who you really ought not let your kids anywhere near. And the judges give her a perfect 10.

WHAT IS GOING ON? Someone please explain.

Ice Skating and and that bloody Synchronised Grinning-Like-a-Twat-while-Drowning are the same. So don't even get me started on those wierdos.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think the Olympics are superb, just hope the politics stays out.

However it appears there are more and more drug cheats

The so called Olympic spirit went down the pan years ago with drugged up East European's and crass commercial "sponsorship" from American multi-nationals. Remember security goons confiscating Pepsi products from spectators entering the stadium in Sydney, so as not to offend Coca cola, "the offical drink of the Olympics" or whatever it was? And as for having pro tennis and basketball players taking part?! The arrogance of the US basketball team was a disgrace!
Over hyped waste of time IMO. Yep, I've chosen that time in September to go on holiday.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
RoyalAli said:
I don't know why.

Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland don't combine to make up Scandinavia, so why should we let the Welsh, scottish and N-Irish in to form Great Britain?

Separate Governments and Royal Family's so therefore separate countries.

I enjoy the Olympics but feel it should still be confined to the athletics rather than all the peripheral sports.

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
RoyalAli said:
I don't know why.

Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland don't combine to make up Scandinavia, so why should we let the Welsh, scottish and N-Irish in to form Great Britain?

Funny, I seem to remember that James the 6th of Scotland became James the 1st of England. And weren't those Tudors of Welsh origin? And aren't the English French/Italians/Germans/Vikings anyway. I might be wrong - any historians?

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Seriously though, does anyone else remember the Olympics of about 12 or 16 years ago when the British women's swimming costume had a white stripe over their left breast that went see-through when wet? Now known as the Nipple Olympics in my house. Well worth watching.

Yoda

English & European
Not one little bit as I'm going to be there.

Flying out on the 18th, have tickets for one evening of tennis (semi's night) and four evenings of athletics (including the final night). Fly back on the bank holiday Monday so am hoping the flight back is delayed so I can watch the Leicester match on sky in a bar at the airport.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
This is all assuming the Greeks have finished celebrating their European Championship win and actually finish building the venues...

Wasn't there an issue with the roof in the main stadium??

The athletics at the Olympics is one of the great sporting events - always has been, always will be. This year's will be one of the best ever. The drug cheat thing is a red herring, there was much more of this 20/30 years ago whereas, nowadays, the new tests they are bringing in are catching out the big names. It's great to see.

Sadly, British athletics is going through a bit of a down phase at the moment, no medals in this week's world junior championships, the competition from other countries is fiercer than it has ever been before whereas the profile of athletics in this country suffers in comparison with other sports when it comes to TV exposure, sponsorship and funding.

Still, Paula Radcliffe is one of the all-time greats in British athletics so enjoy this phenomenon while it lasts. Be great if she goes for the Marathon/10000m double. And I still reckon one of the youngsters like Jade Johnson or Chris Tomlinson will also pull off a surprise medal.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Stumpy Tim said:
SOme of our best athletes weren't English! Colin Jackson, Ewan Thomas, that sprinter in the 80's, Peter Elliot, Liz McColgan etc

Alan Wells is the name you're looking for.
I think Peter Elliot is though, he's from Sheffield isn't he? And it's Iwan Thomas.

I enjoy the athletics, particularly the middle distance events (partly because I was at school with Steve Ovett and partly because I ran the 1500m for the school), but the rest of them leave me cold.

I agree with TLO, any event that has to be judged is generally a crap one.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I really, really love the weightlifting. I could watch that all day. Seriously. I find myself unable to watch it without grimacing along with them.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sir Royston thorne said:

Basketball, a 7 foot freak puts a large ball in a large hole..then one of the other teams 7 foot freak's puts the large ball in the other teams lage hole..ad infinitum...

to be fair you can describe any sport in such a simple way. were on a site devoted to 11 guys (about two actually from brighton) kicking a ball into a goal.

but the fact is we love it!!!!!!

i think the olympics are fantastic...except the marathon, and i enjoy, as in football, cheering our representatives on no matter what the event.

the curling for example(i know it was the winter olympics) i really couldn't give a toss about untill we got to the final and i WAS won of the 'sad' people that stayed up and watched it because i love to see our country (countries) beat the bloody americans and aussies.

come on team GB!!!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I enjoy watching the Decathlon. I know the events off by heart after many happy hours playing Daley Thompson on the Spectrum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here