Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official "Matthew Upson to Albion" thread [merged]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So lets get this right, we are in need of a defender and specifically a centre back that can use his head. I need to understand why Mathew Upson, who has spent his entire career battling some of the best forwards in the world, doesn't fit this bill. I understand he might not immediately play the 'Poyet way' but he was an England international, he must have a bit of a clue. Short term this is a good idea seeing as we are frail when it comes to high balls into the box. I can think of plenty of CB's around the world who are still playing at the top level despite lacking pace.

This
Seem to recall one Guy Butters doing a sterling job for us in his latter years, despite being severely lacking in the pace department. Got by thanks to instinctive good positioning and getting his head on everything. And with all due respect, Upson is a superior footballer. Bring him on.

And this.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I'm sorry but Matthew upson is not what we need! Yes he's a centre back and we need one but he's old! We are become a team of old players that won't last.
We need to build for the future....

No, we need to get promoted!

What is the point of spunking money on Championship players, not good enough to play for us next year in the Premiership?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We are building for the future. In the short term the future is to get up, Upson will help us achieve this. If he does as well as I suspect he will and if we achieve the dream of promotion, he would be ideal for a one year deal in the prem as well.

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Someone to keep Vicente company, he's had so many injuries it will make Vicente look super fit!!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
We did what we could to nab a starlet, but it didn't work out, so we need to have a centreback or two in place who shouldn't um and ah over things or need pampering. They're not our future. Other signings and the development squad are and will be. I'd be happy enough with Uppy and the Monk turning up and bringing their experience to the team when called upon.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Matthew upson? Do we really need another old player!

I'm sorry but Matthew upson is not what we need! Yes he's a centre back and we need one but he's old! We are become a team of old players that won't last.

And that Wayne bridge is shit aswell :facepalm:

BHAOHM

BHAOHM
Jan 14, 2013
He's scored in the 2010 World Cup. I think he would bring a greater amount of experience to the team.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
It's clear that Upson wasn't our first choice (or maybe even 2nd....), but he does fill a role that we are really struggling at the moment, and is better than what we have at the moment even when everyone is fit.

We also have a development squad that will learn a great deal from having someone like him around the club for the next 6 months.

Assuming wages are reasonable I think it is a cracking deal.

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Can't believe this thread! Are we REALLY debating whether or not Matt Upson would be a good signing?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes I know he's got caps and I rate him as a player but we have a fair few players over 29-30!

what are you wittering on about here? so what if theres a few players over 30, experiance counts for alot in center back position. if player is fit and eager then their age isnt really important.

Someone to keep Vicente company, he's had so many injuries it will make Vicente look super fit!!

im not sure he's as injury prone as we think, he's had 33-40 games a season since 2007, until 25 last. i dont think this need be just for the season either, he could see out 3 or 4 years here if he has put problems behind him. sure, he lacks pace but never had that, defenders who never had pace have to read the game and frankly better defenders for it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Upson is experienced and classy, if he's fit he'll improve our squad. I hope it is confirmed soon.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
No no no we need to sign some unknown 19 year old with 3 premier league appearences under his belt. Nevermind many years of top level experience against the worlds best strikers, we need someone who can just run really fast :dunce:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So a player who scored a goal for England in the World Cup (last 16) just 2 years ago against Germany is deemed by some too old and not good enough to Play for Brighton bloody hell when did we become that good :lolol:
Remember that Carragher isn't good enough to play for us either, even though he was playing for Liverpool last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here