Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** The official AND ONLY 'Albion players arrested' thread ****

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
The Sun got into trouble naming the bloke in the Joanna Yeates case, what is the difference with what the Argus have done? I can't remember what the Sun headline was, but the way the Argus front page looks, it does imply they are guilty by association.

I might be wrong but the only person who is legally allowed anonymity is the female who has lodged the complaint with the police? I think the press are free to name anyone arrested no matter what.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Just a friendy bit of advice guys and girls, a few people have been banned and given infractions since this thread started, the rules are very clear and can i just advise everyone to stay within them, we are giving zero tolerance to this particular issue.

Healthy debate good old banter but please steer well clear of the issues not wanted, speculation and all the other things Bozza has put very clearly in the opening thread.

I have put this in as we are 16 pages in and it might just remind one or two to have a look at Bozzas thread.

Cheers Guys
Tony

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
:facepalm:

this merits a ban in my opinion. what a moron :moo:

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I wonder why it took so long to identify them. Dunk has hardly been out of headlines on the back of the Argus. The others probably harder to identify (with the exception Elphick) but identify one, could have worked from that?

It is very strange why its taken so long, all of them have player profiles on the club website!

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
If you provide a false statement under a caution then you are guilty of perjury and perverting the course of justice. If you only volunteered the information then you can easily claim that you simply made a mistake and had a lapse of memory.

This whole arrest/interview argument is false. It is extremely unlikely that someone who the police consider a just witness will ever be arrested. In order to arrest an individual, the police must have reasonable grounds for suspecting that you have committed an offence. Believing that a witness may lie and pervert the course of justice is believing that the individual may commit an offence in the future. Sometimes the police can arrest you if they believe you are about to commit an offence, however, perverting the course of justice is unlikely to be serious enough given the general position in common law that there must be suspicion of an offence previously committed.

Also, it is not true that in making a voluntary witness statement you shield yourself from prosecution for perverting the course of justice or perjury. The witness statement forms contain specific perjury declarations which must be signed and mean that if your statement is relied upon in a court and subsequently proved to be false you have committed just as serious offence as had you given the statement under caution or given the evidence orally in court.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
It certainly has.

Could I suggest that we all take a copy of today's Argus (or any Argus for that matter) to the Newcastle game, tear it up into strips, and give the Team a ticker tape welcome as they come onto the field - as a fans protest against the Argus's gutter-press sensationalist reporting in this matter.

liking that idea:amex:

DanielT

The Argus report is factually correct. Tommy Elphick was arrested. As I posted on another thread yesterday, people can be arrested for all sorts of reasons. Being arrested does not automatically imply that you are even under suspicion for committing a crime. You can be arrested "to help the police with their enquiries". And that sometimes means EXACTLY what it says.

Sometimes, there is an ADVANTAGE in being arrested. It means that you are entitled to the support of a solicitor, while the police interview you. This can be very helpful.

The problem is that the average reader of the Argus doesn't understand this. I suspect that the average journalist on the Argus doesn't understand it either. People assume that an arrest MUST mean that you are being accused of committing a crime. And then the speculation runs wild.

Even the "innocent until proved guilty" argument falls into this trap. As things stand, there is no verifiable assertion from anyone that Tommy Elphick has even been suspected of committing a crime. ALL that we know is that he was arrested, that he was co-operative, that he is no longer of interest in this enquiry, and no further action will be taken against him.

I requoted the whole post as it was rather well written.

The bit in bold is where the Argus should have taken a bit of responsibility and explained just what was meant. That being arrested doesn't mean guilt, being accused doesn't mean guilt. The way they have used up a year's supply of blue ink is irresponsible. They must know that people will jump to the wrong conclusion. That is where they have done wrong

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Why arrest him in the first place? Why not ask him to help with inquires...

Must be a bit embarrassing for the police as well. It has taken them 6 months to find 6 football players from Brighton, and within 24 hours of being arrested (but not charged) one of them is released.

Tommy would have been finger printed and swabbed for a DNA sample upon his arrest. I bet he feels good today.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Club should get a court against the Argus BANNING THEM FROM REPORTING ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE ALBION and leave it all to East Sussex Express or other such papers. Supporters should boycott it !!!
What a scummy shitty rag that paper is !!!
Innocent until proven guilty ??????? all they have done is condemn them ,tried and executed them all before any IF anything is proved. We all know any crime of that nature is serious but this particular "alleged crime" cant be that serious, otherwise it wouldn't have taken them nearly 7 months to find out who they were ?????

Also sexual assault can range from pinching someones arse for example to full blown rape ! Its made them sound like the Yorkshire Rippers clones have escaped and moved down to Brighton.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here