Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2022/23 Edition

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Complaints from Whitehawk of homophobia, threats of violence and racism from Littlehampton fans at last nights game that the Hawks won 0 - 1.

Also reports that a Littlehampton player called a Whitehawk player a black c*nt.

Hope for full enquiry by the Sussex F A

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
definitely seems like it got quite unpleasant at LA vs Whitehawk last night

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not sure, I thought with them both based in Sussex they might be responsible.

Sad that some people (I won’t call them fans) are giving Littlehampton Town Fc a bad name, I’ve just been reading that some were pretty unpleasant at the match away to Faversham on Saturday.

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
But of a feisty game and a couple of under age drunk LA homophobes, but no racist comments that I heard. But Whitehawk "supporters" inciting fans and once ejected then throwing stones and rocks from outside the ground doesn't do either side any favours.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Where to start..... It's lazy/easy to take cheap shots at Littlehampton, tarring everyone with the same brush, but there's no denying that we've 'attracted' a large number of undesirables to the football club over the past 18 months. You've only got to look back at this thread (and previous non-league thread incarnations) to see discussion to that effect.

The issue at Faversham was overblown, according to those I know who were there (and I've seen a video clip as well). Some, it has to be said, pretty rotten wooden fencing gave way during the goal celebrations which - along with some typically boisterous support - painted a pretty bad picture. The police, who were in attendance, have since stated that Littlehampton fans were blameless, however.

I was at the game last night and didn't hear any racist / homophobic chanting, although the sound does tend to stick in that far corner and it wouldn't be entirely surprising. I would be pretty shocked if there was anything said by a player, though, as I would have expected a major reaction from the Whitehawk players had that been the case. It certainly wasn't all one-way, either, last night. One particular away fan was trying to pick a fight with anyone in the bar at half time and was dealt with pretty swiftly by the stewards. I assume that was the same guy who subsequently started throwing stuff from outside the ground.

I feel sorry for the committee, to be honest. They were dealing with sedate crowds of around 100 just 18 months ago and it's been a steep learning curve. There are now stewards at every home game, but they are clearly not a big enough deterrent. There will be fines of increasing amounts heading their way from the FA, that's for sure. It's incredibly difficult to control crowds at that level (especially on the road), but they are going to have to try a bit harder and come up with some new ideas. The problem is, they will not want to lose the numbers or the advantage that having those more vocal fans brings.

I'm starting to understand what it must be like to be a Millwall fan.

Last edited:

Sad that some people (I won’t call them fans) are giving Littlehampton Town Fc a bad name, I’ve just been reading that some were pretty unpleasant at the match away to Faversham on Saturday.

These incidents in the last week from that section of so-called fans is reminding me of something I wrote in the wake of them letting fireworks off inside the ground at Hassocks in April. While it more related to that and the regular lighting of flares by the "Golds Ultras", my general point was that they would quickly gain a bad reputation at Isthmian level if the club didn't make an effort to nip in the bud some of the behaviour that they got away with at County level because it "created an atmosphere" at games. As you say about the unpleasant vibe created by said "fans", everyone I know that went to the friendly vs Worthing's Youth team said it was a nasty atmosphere.

And here we are - it's taken only a week and a half for said idiots to give them a reputation that proper fans of the club don't deserve. After destroying multiple barriers around the pitch at Faversham (however ancient and rotting they may have been, it happened more than once) and then the homophobic abuse at Whitehawk, what happens next? The club officials either continue to tolerate behaviour like that at games home and away because that group are the ones creating an atmosphere and then the league are the ones who have to step in, or they take some action themselves.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
These incidents in the last week from that section of so-called fans is reminding me of something I wrote in the wake of them letting fireworks off inside the ground at Hassocks in April. While it more related to that and the regular lighting of flares by the "Golds Ultras", my general point was that they would quickly gain a bad reputation at Isthmian level if the club didn't make an effort to nip in the bud some of the behaviour that they got away with at County level because it "created an atmosphere" at games. As you say about the unpleasant vibe created by said "fans", everyone I know that went to the friendly vs Worthing's Youth team said it was a nasty atmosphere.

And here we are - it's taken only a week and a half for said idiots to give them a reputation that proper fans of the club don't deserve. After destroying multiple barriers around the pitch at Faversham (however ancient and rotting they may have been, it happened more than once) and then the homophobic abuse at Whitehawk, what happens next? The club officials either continue to tolerate behaviour like that at games home and away because that group are the ones creating an atmosphere and then the league are the ones who have to step in, or they take some action themselves.

You mention the incident at Hassocks, as you probably know the cup final with Newhaven had to be played at Horsham FC on a Sunday morning because Hassocks didn’t want the final played there.
The Littlehampton fans were very well behaved at Horsham, but I felt that I was treated like a hooligan on the way into the ground by a steward searching me and telling me to not bring in flares, fireworks etc. He wasn’t happy when I pointed out I was here to watch Newhaven and there had been no reports of any issues from us and the stewards were only there because of Littlehampton fans.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Lewes v Carshalton

Gorgeous night to return to the Pan Siro where the Rooks served up a very good display of Tonyball which bodes extremely well for the coming season.

All the new faces looked impressive; In defence Tom Champion was rangey, strong and composed at centre back and Marcel Elva Fontaine was rampaging and quick-footed at right back. Vast upgrade on Nelson and Spencer.

In MF, Alfie Young was utterly dominant in front of the back 4 and Jake Skinner and Ronan Silva both caused the Robins problems throughout.

Deon Moores brace was deserved and Razz was out of this world. Ollie who?

2 nil, but could have been 5 or 6 easily. And the new pitch is gorgeous.

Despite just being a few miles down the road, last night was my first visit to Lewes. Tom Champion is a good friend and having been to watch him at Old Trafford and Wembley and countless other not so salubrious grounds, I've got to admit I was delighted when he signed for Lewes!

I think the thing that's always put me off Lewes is that from the outside they always seemed a bit righteous down there. Turns out I couldn't have been more wrong, it's fantastic and already looking forward to Saturday. Thought the first half was fairly even last night, 2nd half could have turned into a rout.

And as you mentioned, that pitch is something else.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Despite just being a few miles down the road, last night was my first visit to Lewes. Tom Champion is a good friend and having been to watch him at Old Trafford and Wembley and countless other not so salubrious grounds, I've got to admit I was delighted when he signed for Lewes!

I think the thing that's always put me off Lewes is that from the outside they always seemed a bit righteous down there. Turns out I couldn't have been more wrong, it's fantastic and already looking forward to Saturday. Thought the first half was fairly even last night, 2nd half could have turned into a rout.

And as you mentioned, that pitch is something else.
Glad you liked it! Stortford should prove a more stubborn test on Saturday; a win will be something of an early statement.

I'm a big fan of Champo already

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Also LEE DIXON was there

Interesting. My friend saw him in Lewes Waitrose a few weeks back ( Euros time) loading shopping into his Porsche. Has he moved here, or is he involved with the club? Anyone got any intel?

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Interesting. My friend saw him in Lewes Waitrose a few weeks back ( Euros time) loading shopping into his Porsche. Has he moved here, or is he involved with the club? Anyone got any intel?

Moved to Lewes apparently, but sadly won't be at the Pan much as he does commentary on a Saturday

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Been with the la lads a few times,never seen any aggro,yes thay are loud,yes thay love there fireworks and smoke grenades.The majority are bha so doubtful thay would be given it the homophobic angle as most have been on the receiving end so to speak.Great bunch of pissheads just being loud and proud supporting there local club.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
But of a feisty game and a couple of under age drunk LA homophobes, but no racist comments that I heard. But Whitehawk "supporters" inciting fans and once ejected then throwing stones and rocks from outside the ground doesn't do either side any favours.

Is this what you witnessed ? because in all the Whitehawk away matches I have been to I have never witnessed any fans 'incited' by our group. They are very good natured and mix well.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Is this what you witnessed ? because in all the Whitehawk away matches I have been to I have never witnessed any fans 'incited' by our group. They are very good natured and mix well.

Per my ealier post (#102), one particular Hawks fan (larger gentleman, short dark hair, black T-Shirt) was spoiling for a fight at half time, mouthing off in the bar area. His ejection by the stewards nipped things in the bud, fortunately. Not trying to play down anything else that happened, but it definitely wasn't 100% one way traffic.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Per my ealier post (#102), one particular Hawks fan (larger gentleman, short dark hair, black T-Shirt) was spoiling for a fight at half time, mouthing off in the bar area. His ejection by the stewards nipped things in the bud, fortunately. Not trying to play down anything else that happened, but it definitely wasn't 100% one way traffic.

Why was he mouthing off and what was he saying?

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Why was he mouthing off and what was he saying?

I was already in the bar when he came in and it happened very quickly. I have no idea why he was mouthing off or what he specifically said (it was too loud to make out).

But, from his aggressive body language and the immediate reaction of people around him to whatever was said, it was obvious he was looking for trouble. He quickly became the centre of attention, and I've no doubt it would have kicked off had the stewards not removed him.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here