Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2022/23 Edition

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Worthing game called off at 1pm, away to Dover. Absolute pisstake for the travelling Rebels.

I was 5 minutes from the ground, but I was lucky. My mum lives in Folkestone and I was down visiting her for the weekend. Folkestone being an early kick off was a really sucker punch though, couldn’t even decide to watch that instead. F*ck Dover.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Newhaven still on as 3G pitch. Fill your boots
Cracking game down at Newhaven, Steyning were superb, 4th goal magnificent. Was planning on spending the day at Lewes with my best friends but we had a cracking day out at Newhaven, even some argy bargy between fans. Off to Oldham tomorrow because the 4th game I’ve planned to go to this week has been called off.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Cracking game down at Newhaven, Steyning were superb, 4th goal magnificent. Was planning on spending the day at Lewes with my best friends but we had a cracking day out at Newhaven, even some argy bargy between fans. Off to Oldham tomorrow because the 4th game I’ve planned to go to this week has been called off.

Sorry to have missed that one! I can’t imagine the argy bargy.......... This is a great season for Steyning.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sorry to have missed that one! I can’t imagine the argy bargy.......... This is a great season for Steyning.
I’m glad I missed the match 😬
Going to watch Newhaven when it’s freezing cold isn’t my idea of fun…..fair weather non league fan.:wink:
I also can’t imagine any argy bargy between fans, never seen any trouble at Newhaven FC, anyone causing it would stand out like a sore thumb. There are a few shouty blokes in the main stand but definitely not trouble makers.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Worthing game called off at 1pm, away to Dover. Absolute pisstake for the travelling Rebels.

I was 5 minutes from the ground, but I was lucky. My mum lives in Folkestone and I was down visiting her for the weekend. Folkestone being an early kick off was a really sucker punch though, couldn’t even decide to watch that instead. F*ck Dover.
Blame the ref if you have to, not the club! But yeah a 1pm postponement is very late.

Blame the ref if you have to, not the club! But yeah a 1pm postponement is very late.
Given the general disregard their non-playing side club officials have shown for every other club in National South this season, I can categorically say you can blame Dover.

Speaking to friends who travelled on the club coach and speak to our club officials regularly, Dover knew the pitch wouldn't pass an inspection much earlier in the day but didn't want to pay for a local ref to come and inspect it. On top of that, the actual ref was there well before 1pm and was ready to call the game off, but Dover chose not to phone ahead to any Worthing officials and waited until the club coach turned up and their secretary simply told our driver "you might as well just turn around". Could have saved much more time for everyone but chose not to because they're absolute bellcheeses.

This is part of a general pattern from their officials that has made them the most disliked team in the division. For some bizzare reason, they ban all visiting club affiliated radio stations - like Rebel Yell for us - from broadcasting at their ground.

Add to that, they're the only club who didn't liason with us, as is league protocol, before our home game regarding any banned or troublesome supporters we should refuse entry to or keep an eye on. This resulted in the ugly scenes on the opening day of the season caused by the group of a dozen or so hooligans from Dover - who are known and loathed by most of their fanbase and banned from home games - travelling and absolutely ruining what should have been a wonderful first game in National South for everyone at Worthing. Haven't never scenes like that ever at Woodside and highly doubt we will.

So yes, in short. F**k Dover.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I’m glad I missed the match 😬
Going to watch Newhaven when it’s freezing cold isn’t my idea of fun…..fair weather non league fan.:wink:
I also can’t imagine any argy bargy between fans, never seen any trouble at Newhaven FC, anyone causing it would stand out like a sore thumb. There are a few shouty blokes in the main stand but definitely not trouble makers.
I say 'argy bargy' with a hint of sarcasm. I think one of the Steyning players brothers was told off for over celebrating, and got told he wouldn't be served at the bar anymore. It was all solved though, always enjoy my trips to Newhaven, its a very decent facility these days.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Given the general disregard their non-playing side club officials have shown for every other club in National South this season, I can categorically say you can blame Dover.

Speaking to friends who travelled on the club coach and speak to our club officials regularly, Dover knew the pitch wouldn't pass an inspection much earlier in the day but didn't want to pay for a local ref to come and inspect it. On top of that, the actual ref was there well before 1pm and was ready to call the game off, but Dover chose not to phone ahead to any Worthing officials and waited until the club coach turned up and their secretary simply told our driver "you might as well just turn around". Could have saved much more time for everyone but chose not to because they're absolute bellcheeses.

This is part of a general pattern from their officials that has made them the most disliked team in the division. For some bizzare reason, they ban all visiting club affiliated radio stations - like Rebel Yell for us - from broadcasting at their ground.

Add to that, they're the only club who didn't liason with us, as is league protocol, before our home game regarding any banned or troublesome supporters we should refuse entry to or keep an eye on. This resulted in the ugly scenes on the opening day of the season caused by the group of a dozen or so hooligans from Dover - who are known and loathed by most of their fanbase and banned from home games - travelling and absolutely ruining what should have been a wonderful first game in National South for everyone at Worthing. Haven't never scenes like that ever at Woodside and highly doubt we will.

So yes, in short. F**k Dover.
Also when I went down there in pre season to watch the U21, there fans were a bit 'colourful' with them first describing their own goal keeper as 'fresh off the boat' his name was 'Stuart Nelson'. They also said they were fed up with Foreign players ruining the game when Ben Baker Boatiey ran forward who was of course born in North London. The whole club gave me a weird vibe, with it seeming like a lot of people involved just simply didn't care what was going on. Bit of a strange club I won't be revisiting, beer was cheap though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Also when I went down there in pre season to watch the U21, there fans were a bit 'colourful' with them first describing their own goal keeper as 'fresh off the boat' his name was 'Stuart Nelson'. They also said they were fed up with Foreign players ruining the game when Ben Baker Boatiey ran forward who was of course born in North London. The whole club gave me a weird vibe, with it seeming like a lot of people involved just simply didn't care what was going on. Bit of a strange club I won't be revisiting, beer was cheap though.
Not just a strange club, Dover is something of a strange town, very rundown in parts and has something of an end of the pier feel to it.

I guess there just isn't anywhere to go after Dover, it's at the end of the road, especially as far fewer people are using the cross channel ferries now.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Not just a strange club, Dover is something of a strange town, very rundown in parts and has something of an end of the pier feel to it.

I guess there just isn't anywhere to go after Dover, it's at the end of the road, especially as far fewer people are using the cross channel ferries now.
Oldham yesterday was like the end of the earth and still is the coldest place on earth, and I still preferred it to Dover.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Carshalton v Lewes is off, that makes it 6/7 games I intended on going to called off since tuesday

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Oldham yesterday was like the end of the earth and still is the coldest place on earth, and I still preferred it to Dover.
Yeah l've been up to Boundary Park on l think three occasions, each time almost catching frostbite from the freezing wind blowing in across the moors.

I always deemed Boundary Park to be the highest football stadium in the Football League, only to discover recently that that accolade falls to West Bromwich Albion and their Hawthorns ground. Funny l never remember feeling so cold on my visits there.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah l've been up to Boundary Park on l think three occasions, each time almost catching frostbite from the freezing wind blowing in across the moors.

I always deemed Boundary Park to be the highest football stadium in the Football League, only to discover recently that that accolade falls to West Bromwich Albion and their Hawthorns ground. Funny l never remember feeling so cold on my visits there.
Without wanting to be a know it all knob, its actually now Forest Green Rovers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here