Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2022/23 Edition

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
Ebbsfleet were outstanding, some of their quick tempo 1 and 2 touch football with pace which tore Worthing to shreds was a joy to watch, lightning quick on the counter attack aswell and finishing was clinical.
Very naive set up from Worthing certainly helped the visitors, would have been better to defend in numbers and try to frustrate rather than go toe to toe with them, isn't hindsight wonderful!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Another one who went to Worthing v Ebbsfleet last night. I was hoping for a close battle between first and fifth but it was more like a Man City v Bournemouth with Worthing schooled tactically and physically. Ebbsfleet's number 7 Sterling-James impressed me with his pace and fitness and ability to play on both wings and nearly made it seven with a stunning free kick. Dom Poleon must be the National League South answer to Haaland. Worthing were pressed into mistake after mistake, lost every individual battle and allowed Fleet to overload the wings at will.

As a neutral though I really enjoyed the evening out. Nice to have a pre match pint in Brooksteed and a couple of Midways during the game ( :eek: ) and hear the coaches, Ebbsfleet's mainly asking the linesman "Vat is he doing?" while Hinsh only appeared in the second half (apparently what he does) to unleash a nice volley of swearing.

Top singing from the Worthing fans considering it was an absolute shoeing and a nice touch playing "Money, Money, Money" at half time..

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Another exciting weekend of Groundhopping led me to the Dagenham away end, to watch Torquay get a hard earned 1-0 win against the Daggers. Dogged performance from 35 year old Mark Ellis, and a calamity goal to win it. I hot footed across the East End to catch Barking v Takeley in BALTIC conditions as the home side won 1-0 with a goal direct from a corner. I even met a Chinese groundhopper at Barking, who was catching some 9th Tier action. Went to Wycombe on Sunday to tick off ground number 228, as never managed to make it with Brighton.

Off to Blyth tomorrow with my mate who supports Southport, before heading back to Brighton via Northwich Victoria to stay with a university friend and take in a game there. Gillingham v Dagenham on Thursday night in the FA Cup, before our Under 21s on friday night and then Lewes for my Birthday on Saturday. I'll be off to the women on Sunday before Lewes away at Carshalton and Worthing at home to Weymouth on the Tuesday to hopefully fulfil 8 games in 8 days.
I read that as “I’ll be off women by Sunday” so was going to ask what exactly you were planning to do for your birthday on Saturday 👀

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Despite the change of plan I really enjoyed Spennymoor last night, a 3-2 win for the home side against Boston who brought about 50-60 away fans, hearty souls travelling a long way. Spennymoor’s third was an absolute screamer. Heading to Northwich tonight, still the biggest Brighton win I’ve ever seen, maybe another 8-0 tonight.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
T
Well that was what you call being brought back down to earth. Then again, Ebbsfleet are head and shoulders, and knees and toes, above anything else in the league. Full time, with some seriously good players, mostly with recent football league experience, having been brought in.

Unfortunately, this. Ebbsfleet are usually one of the better teams when they're in this league due to their full time status (only a few years ago they reached the playoffs in the conference). The fun thing about the squads being semi professional in the NLS, is the sheer unpredictability of the results. 2nd place Dartford have lost more games than 16th place Taunton.

How Borough have managed to stay in the league for so long (and not get out of it some years) is testament to the work of everyone in the club. Whilst a season or two in the NL would be phenomenal, they would come straight back down again as becoming full time would kill the club.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Was at Hawks-Ramsgate on sat. Ultras were absolutely amazing. More noise than many lower league grounds. Worthing-Ebbsfleet yesterday (money talks) going to Sevenoaks-Hawks tonight. Friday a festive meet up with Sammy Donnelly, Tony Gratwicke, Tony Dineen and some of the others who did our best to save football in Southwick, sadly we couldn't. It's gone. 140 years of history. On Sat I shall watch them managing their new club Montpellier Villa (with many of the former Southwick players in the side) in Sussex 1. Russell Martin Foundation's job to resurrect Southwick now. We did all we could.
I absolutely cannot WAIT for Charlton away. :)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Despite the change of plan I really enjoyed Spennymoor last night, a 3-2 win for the home side against Boston who brought about 50-60 away fans, hearty souls travelling a long way. Spennymoor’s third was an absolute screamer. Heading to Northwich tonight, still the biggest Brighton win I’ve ever seen, maybe another 8-0 tonight.
Hearty souls indeed these Boston fans, travelling 3,000 miles for a midweek away game!

Yes l know l know, Boston in Lincs, not it's American namesake.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Was at Hawks-Ramsgate on sat. Ultras were absolutely amazing. More noise than many lower league grounds. Worthing-Ebbsfleet yesterday (money talks) going to Sevenoaks-Hawks tonight. Friday a festive meet up with Sammy Donnelly, Tony Gratwicke, Tony Dineen and some of the others who did our best to save football in Southwick, sadly we couldn't. It's gone. 140 years of history. On Sat I shall watch them managing their new club Montpellier Villa (with many of the former Southwick players in the side) in Sussex 1. Russell Martin Foundation's job to resurrect Southwick now. We did all we could.
Had great memories of playing against Southwick. Is it Russell Martin Foundation intention to reform Southwick fc

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
What was that update from Tony K about in June where he announced the return to OBW? I would absolutely love to have a team to watch back there.

Shame it didn't pan out for AFC; I went along to the rec a few times and that squad was for too good for that level. Megaphone did my head in a bit though :)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The Gillingham game did go ahead and I enjoyed it, not non league but my luck is turning around now
Watched most of the second half, was a decent entertaining game, sucker punch for D&R but the quality of the league side eventually showed through, great breakaway goal too.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Watched most of the second half, was a decent entertaining game, sucker punch for D&R but the quality of the league side eventually showed through, great breakaway goal too.
Hmmm l'm not sure that "quality" had too much to do with the outcome last night, a very even game l thought, and the result could have gone either way.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bloke in front of me spent the entire second half playing solitaire.
Perhaps not too surprising, after all they were two poor, and thus well matched teams. Poor in respect of Gillingham being second bottom of the entire Football league pyramid, (a position well known to us come the end of the 1996/97 season), and the Daggers not even in the Football League.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Perhaps not too surprising, after all they were two poor, and thus well matched teams. Poor in respect of Gillingham being second bottom of the entire Football league pyramid, (a position well known to us come the end of the 1996/97 season), and the Daggers not even in the Football League.
Gillingham have only scored 6 league goals this season as well. I've actually watched them three this season (Papa Johns against our U21s, when I groundhopped Newport the other week and last night) and managed to witness 6 goals. A very depressing season for them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Gillingham have only scored 6 league goals this season as well. I've actually watched them three this season (Papa Johns against our U21s, when I groundhopped Newport the other week and last night) and managed to witness 6 goals. A very depressing season for them.
I wish l could feel sorry for their fans. Sadly having been made to feel the poor relations by many of them during our ground sharing years at Priestfield, l find it very difficult.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here