Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Need some help and advice. I am trying to trace a musician who played in and around Guildford when I had my pub there under the name of Clive Live. His name is Clive Read and he also played with 10cc abd Bay City Rollers. Would love to meet up and see him perform again if anybody knows of him or where he is playing in the future. Is fhere a website I coukd trace him on I tried facebook surrey and sussex gig guide but couldnt post on it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Need some help and advice. I am trying to trace a musician who played in and around Guildford when I had my pub there under the name of Clive Live. His name is Clive Read and he also played with 10cc abd Bay City Rollers. Would love to meet up and see him perform again if anybody knows of him or where he is playing in the future. Is fhere a website I coukd trace him on I tried facebook surrey and sussex gig guide but couldnt post on it.

I'm no expert, but pretty sure he never played in EITHER of these bands :lol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tom Hark said:
I'm no expert, but pretty sure he never played in EITHER of these bands :lol:
I know he played for the for the reformed groups on tour Bay City Rollers was in Japan I am certain, 10cc was a European tour possibly Germany both around 1994 ish

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Did anyone make The Soft Walls at The Albert after the game on Saturday? Good night all round. I was impressed by Teardrop Factory who I'd not seen before, the idea of Feature appears to be a little better than the reality at present but I thought a couple of their tracks were good.

I thought The Soft Walls were outstanding after a bit of a slow start, 2 or 3 of the new ones really hit my psych/shoegaze spot. Scott (who also drums for Sealings) is an outstanding drummer as well, really holds it all together and gives those drums a frightful thrashing. It was nice to hear 'Black Cat' off the first record as well.

As I understand their support slot with Hookworms on Friday is their last gig for sometime as Dan Reeves will be back in Cold Pumas action who are readying themselves for a new record of their own - preview here http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/preview?p=86534&t=p

Who's going to Jabberwocky? It's going to be a cracking couple of days. Some awful clashes for me and I won't be able to get there for Ought but hey ho...

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Did anyone make The Soft Walls at The Albert after the game on Saturday? Good night all round. I was impressed by Teardrop Factory who I'd not seen before, the idea of Feature appears to be a little better than the reality at present but I thought a couple of their tracks were good.

I thought The Soft Walls were outstanding after a bit of a slow start, 2 or 3 of the new ones really hit my psych/shoegaze spot. Scott (who also drums for Sealings) is an outstanding drummer as well, really holds it all together and gives those drums a frightful thrashing. It was nice to hear 'Black Cat' off the first record as well.

As I understand their support slot with Hookworms on Friday is their last gig for sometime as Dan Reeves will be back in Cold Pumas action who are readying themselves for a new record of their own - preview here http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/preview?p=86534&t=p

Who's going to Jabberwocky? It's going to be a cracking couple of days. Some awful clashes for me and I won't be able to get there for Ought but hey ho...

I was there, but preferred Feature to Teardrop Factory who's post-grunge pop song writing naivety didn't keep my concentration. Feature were fun.
Soft Walls were excellent, I agree.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I was there, but preferred Feature to Teardrop Factory who's post-grunge pop song writing naivety didn't keep my concentration. Feature were fun.
Soft Walls were excellent, I agree.

Fair enough - I really like that track that Teardrop Factory opened with, it kind of grabbed my attention

Glad to hear you agree on The Soft Walls. As I understand we have a Cold Pumas record before the year's out as well.

Slint tonight then, never thought I'd see them in Brighton

Pissed Jeans Wednesday

Amen Dunes (which is a freebie http://www.seetickets.com/event/amen-dunes/sticky-mikes-frog-bar/807610.) on Thursday

Busy boy!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Anyone got any tips for getting back from a midweek beats combo performance at the De La Warr? Train back after Neutral Milk Hotel isn't for yonks tonight and takes ages...there are four of us, and we have had a taxi quote from Bexhill for £60 which we will probably take the pain of, but it seems a bit nonsensical.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Anyone else heading to Bexhill to see Neutral Milk Hotel tonight? Very excited, saw them at Primavera and they were really good so looking forward to an extended set. Can't believe we get the chance to see them in Bexhill!

There's so many gigs coming up in Brighton, particularly tempted by recently announced Sharon Van Etten at Corn Exchange, and A Winged Victory for the Sullen at St. George's Church.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anyone else heading to Bexhill to see Neutral Milk Hotel tonight? Very excited, saw them at Primavera and they were really good so looking forward to an extended set. Can't believe we get the chance to see them in Bexhill!

There's so many gigs coming up in Brighton, particularly tempted by recently announced Sharon Van Etten at Corn Exchange, and A Winged Victory for the Sullen at St. George's Church.

Unfortunately Slint vs NMH ended with a Slint victory, helped in no small way by not having to make that onerous shlepp out to Bexhill.

I pretty much missed NMH at Primavera due to being so blown away by Sun Ra (I was there in body but not mind) and they clash with Electric Wizard at Jabberwocky. Have a good one!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Fair enough - I really like that track that Teardrop Factory opened with, it kind of grabbed my attention

Glad to hear you agree on The Soft Walls. As I understand we have a Cold Pumas record before the year's out as well.

Slint tonight then, never thought I'd see them in Brighton

Pissed Jeans Wednesday

Amen Dunes (which is a freebie http://www.seetickets.com/event/amen-dunes/sticky-mikes-frog-bar/807610.) on Thursday

Busy boy!

I'm tempted by Pissed Jeans - got links to a recommended track or two? I'm guessing it's sold out though.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Unfortunately Slint vs NMH ended with a Slint victory, helped in no small way by not having to make that onerous shlepp out to Bexhill.

I pretty much missed NMH at Primavera due to being so blown away by Sun Ra (I was there in body but not mind) and they clash with Electric Wizard at Jabberwocky. Have a good one!

I probably would have gone with Slint too, if I hadn't accidentally bought NMH tickets first without realising they were on the same night!

Pissed Jeans are so good live, would love to go, but I'm kind of avoiding those 'noise gigs in small venues' nowadays.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Somewhat annoyingly, Jabberwocky has been cancelled.

I was looking forward to that.

It's got to be the end of the road for ATP - http://drownedinsound.com/community/boards/music/4452408

I'm certain that the main reason for the lack of ticket sales was that people didn't trust ATP with their money given their well documented financial issues. At the Slint gig last night the number of people I've spoke to that said they were going to buy on the day was in double figures. No ticket agency will work with them again (they still owe Gigantic and Seetickets vast sums of money sand now it looks like they are bumping the new agency.) Unfortunately, they are starting to look like they have been to the Crystal Palace school of administration. I have no doubt that the new company Willwall will be wound up as a result of this. We were warned by the glorious Stool Pigeon (RIP.) a couple of years ago

http://www.thestoolpigeon.co.uk/features/feature-tomorrows-world.html

They'll never be able to do another festival in this country again and as horrible as it is for me to admit this (some of the best weekends of my life have been at ATP's) it's probably for the best. I'm certain someone with a greater business accumen will fill the void. It could work out for the best.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
BTW - Slint were brilliant last night. I'm far from a superfan of theirs but they were well, well worth the £22 ticket.

Some audience issues - there was a fight! And the couple in front of me (must have been in their mid 30's) decided to spend the whole evening necking each other. It was quite sweet really but getaroom.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I

Ear troubles?

Yes. Nothing too serious yet, but warning signs that mean I want to be careful from now on. Will wait to see noisy bands outside where the nasty distortion wafts away! :lolol:

Neutral Milk Hotel were fantastic last night. Set didn't seems to lag so much with the Avery Island stuff as much as it did at Primavera, even though it was half an hour longer. Even better was the crowd - really really noisy and enthusiastic, no one chatting etc. Worth going to Bexhill to sort the wheat from the chafe, in Brihton I suspect it would have been in a bigger venue with lots more casual Guardian/pitchfork types who would have proceeded to chat through it.

The De La Warr is such a good venue, and they deserve so much respect for all the stuff they put on - it must be extremely hard running it as a venue and exhibition space in a small out of the way place like that - most towns venues are long gone. It's amazing that they attract the calibre of acts that they do, hope it continues! Still yet to find a nice pub or restaurant there though - anyone got any tips for future reference?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yes. Nothing too serious yet, but warning signs that mean I want to be careful from now on. Will wait to see noisy bands outside where the nasty distortion wafts away! :lolol:

Neutral Milk Hotel were fantastic last night. Set didn't seems to lag so much with the Avery Island stuff as much as it did at Primavera, even though it was half an hour longer. Even better was the crowd - really really noisy and enthusiastic, no one chatting etc. Worth going to Bexhill to sort the wheat from the chafe, in Brihton I suspect it would have been in a bigger venue with lots more casual Guardian/pitchfork types who would have proceeded to chat through it.

The De La Warr is such a good venue, and they deserve so much respect for all the stuff they put on - it must be extremely hard running it as a venue and exhibition space in a small out of the way place like that - most towns venues are long gone. It's amazing that they attract the calibre of acts that they do, hope it continues! Still yet to find a nice pub or restaurant there though - anyone got any tips for future reference?

I feel for anyone that suffers from this. Touch wood it's not been a problem for me, though I am getting more careful. One gig in particular sticks out though, No Age at Audio where I really thought I done myself serious damage, ringing for 2 days. My Bloody Valentine, Swans, Death Grips, Slayer, Electric Wizard and Sebadoh are the others that stick out as being particuarly brutal.

Am I in a minority of one that prefers Avery Island? I guess so.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

The De La Warr is such a good venue, and they deserve so much respect for all the stuff they put on - it must be extremely hard running it as a venue and exhibition space in a small out of the way place like that - most towns venues are long gone. It's amazing that they attract the calibre of acts that they do, hope it continues!

It gets Arts Council core funding. Love the De La Warr and the gig was tremendous but I wouldn't go to a midweek gig there again. Getting there was almost as much hassle as going to a London gig and we had to leave a tiny bit early to avoid getting back at a daft hour.

The Dome is far less fun but it wouldn't have been part-empty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here