Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
They are playing The Haunt on 21st August, just got tickets with [MENTION=19777]darters74[/MENTION]

Annoyingly I'm at Reading that day, seeing them the day after at Reading though so it isn't all bad. Would have preferred to see them at The Haunt, but I'm sure they'll be back in Brighton soon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm back and rested after MELT! Having been to Glastonbury consecutively since 2004 I was not sure how I would (or could) take to another festival. But, whilst a lot different to Glasto it was excellent fun.

The site is just outside Liepzig on an old open-mine/quarry with huge abandoned rusting machinery as a back drop. The areas where the two main stages are are fashioned into simple amphitheatre type arrangements with flat floor and terracing around the sides..plus the rusty machines. The other stages are dotted around the place included on literally on the side of the lake. High speed train is direct and under an hour from Berlin and then you pick up a site shuttle bus. Camping facilities were good, organised and there were showers!!

Day light hours consisted of chilling out in the sun, grilling, drinking, dancing/listening to the DJs at the camp and swimming in the lake. 6pm onwards it was music. Managed to see Little Dragon, Clean Bandit, PlanningtoRock, a bit of Haim, Erol Arkan and Dan Avery, of Montreal, Sleigh Bells, Jackson and his Computer Band, Metronomy, John Grant and the pick of the bunch Moderat. I also caught a number of DJs and of the unknown ones Kim Ann Foxman really impressed me with a great selection of techno in the sun; I know nothing of this lady so if anyone cares to fill me in please do. Moderat were superb, and the packed crowd were well up for it. Lots of usual festival shenanigans and I seemed to spend a fair bit of time helping out fellow Brits with the glass deposit (pfand) scheme they have in place.

Above all a great, fun, well organised festival with good music and fun loving crowd and if the line up is half decent I'd definitely go again.

Oh, and Warsteiner were pushing a new beer they're now making; it is a double hopped lager..perfect for the 30 degree plus temp.

And when I got home I found a pair of jeans and some trainers in my bag…forgot I took those.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
A different line up but The Amazing Snakeheads play at The Haunt 22nd October. Saw them as part of The Great Escape and would strongly recommend.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Looks like Jon Hopkins is playing The Dome on Thursday 4th December. Exciting stuff.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Kiran Leonard - gig of the year for me last night. A hot sweaty night at the Hope, still my favorite venue. The new album this year 'Grapefruit' sounds bloody amazing by the track or two he played last night.

I was late to this particular party but this kid is unbelievably good. I'll definately be catching him next time.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Really enjoyed Immunity so a definite possibility for me. Am I underestimating his appeal? As I can't see this one selling out.

December still a while away- think it will sell out nearer the time. Getting my tickets tomorrow though as I like to know I have them.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Stuck a few previews up today with further ones for Sleaford Mods, Black Lips and Pissed Jeans to follow shortly. After a slow July it's starting to get a bit busier.

Wolf Eyes - http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/preview/?p=86530
Hookworms - http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/preview?p=86534&t=p
Stephen Malkmus + Mazes - http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/preview/?p=86590

Mazes are a good support choice for Stephen Malkmus. Not sure I will make it though after The Wedding Present festival the day before.

Egon Spengler

Jul 5, 2011
Looks like Jon Hopkins is playing The Dome on Thursday 4th December. Exciting stuff.

Tickets purchased, the Great Escape show was a lot of fun although I wasn't at my most discerning at 1am!

Kiran Leonard - gig of the year for me last night. A hot sweaty night at the Hope, still my favorite venue. The new album this year 'Grapefruit' sounds bloody amazing by the track or two he played last night.

Yeah, excellent. Up there with tune-yards, Gruff Rhys and East India Youth as my favourites of the year. He really got going after the first couple of songs. I'm glad you say it's called Grapefruit, I thought he said Breakthrough at first which would be a truly terrible title. I bought the tour CD but haven't really had time to give it a decent listen. There's also an interesting interview with him in The Quietus.

Not got anything on in Brighton in August but going to a day of Jabberwocky and End of the Road. End of the Road has a great line up.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Not got anything on in Brighton in August but going to a day of Jabberwocky and End of the Road. End of the Road has a great line up.

Have to agree. End of The Road has the best line up of any festival this year including those abroad.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Off to see blues/rock axeman Larry Miller at the Komedia tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here