Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Who saw what over the last few days? There were some great acts passing through on their way to Glastonbury, looks like I missed out not getting BJM tickets.
Blank Realm at the Albert for me this evening. Looking forward to it.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I am now the proud possessor of 4 x £2.50 Arcade Fire tickets and 4 x £2.50 Black Sabbath tickets.

Bargains of the summer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw Damon Albarn supporting his rather lovely solo album last night. He was in great and humerous form and threw in 4 or 5 Gorillaz tracks, 4 blur numbers and a couple of GTBTQ songs including a cracking version of Kingdom of Doom as well as the bulk of the new solo long player and a fun version of Mr Tembo.

His new album is something you need to persevere with but once you become familiar with the sparseness of the music and the lyrical content it really does shine brightly. And if you do not warm to the jaunty Mr Tembo, a song about a baby elephant, you have a heart of stone.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Saw Damon Albarn supporting his rather lovely solo album last night. He was in great and humerous form and threw in 4 or 5 Gorillaz tracks, 4 blur numbers and a couple of GTBTQ songs including a cracking version of Kingdom of Doom as well as the bulk of the new solo long player and a fun version of Mr Tembo.

His new album is something you need to persevere with but once you become familiar with the sparseness of the music and the lyrical content it really does shine brightly. And if you do not warm to the jaunty Mr Tembo, a song about a baby elephant, you have a heart of stone.

Sounds bloomin' excellent. I'm suprised he played the Blur numbers, thought he might be a bit fed up of them, the setlist looks great.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/damon-albarn/2014/astra-berlin-germany-4bc19b5a.html

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I am now the proud possessor of 4 x £2.50 Arcade Fire tickets and 4 x £2.50 Black Sabbath tickets.

Bargains of the summer.

I have 8 for Sabbath! Didn't think I'd get to see them again.

Has anyone seen them recently? I thought they were out of this world when I last saw them in '98 or '99 but that was 15 years ago. Surely they must be past it?

Very excited about seeing Faith No More.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sounds bloomin' excellent. I'm suprised he played the Blur numbers, thought he might be a bit fed up of them, the setlist looks great.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/damon-albarn/2014/astra-berlin-germany-4bc19b5a.html

Out of Time was lovely with just him on the piano. I like the fact they have included happy birthday in the set-list. It was a great set, and then we all piled out to the beer-garden where they had erected a big screen and smaller flat screens and we watched the game. Alles gut. Feeling tired today though.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

You . . . . . . *******.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have 8 for Sabbath! Didn't think I'd get to see them again.

Has anyone seen them recently? I thought they were out of this world when I last saw them in '98 or '99 but that was 15 years ago. Surely they must be past it?

Very excited about seeing Faith No More.

Motorhead, Sabbath and FNM will be excellent fun.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Blank Realm was an excellent show last night.

The Soft Walls in support were fantastic - their up there with Sealings & Cold Pumas as my favourite local outfit at present.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
You'll probably have to drink Jagermeister. Or is there something else that's more appropriate?

The blood of a freshly sacrificed virgin, surely?

Or is heavy metal no longer how it used to be...?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I used to love The Libertines many years ago, and still give their albums the occasional spin. My sons, 17 and 15, grew up loving them, and were so excited when they announced this Hyde Park reunion thing. We have taken them to loads of gigs, but for them, this was big. So we got 4 tickets, and made it a bit of a family day out (although, in the end, they went off with mates and travelled up earlier than we did. Parents arem't cool).

We arrived in time for Spiritualized, and as usual they were lovely, quiet intros with gospel infused crescendos. I hope Jason is not unwell again - he was sat on a chair throughout the set.

Then, bar break (chaos) and back for The Pogues. Jesus. Shane MacGowan...how is he still alive? A shambling wreck of a man. It was a car crash performance. Awful. Shane didn't appear to open his eyes once, and was bleeding from the nose and mouth.

A hint at what was to come later during their set - they stopped playing as someone had collapsed in the crowd, and needed serious medical attention. This was near my boys, and they saw him being given CPR. I hope he's okay.

Me and Mrs Mahone were, I suppose, 40 yards from the stage. We thought we'd stay there and wait for The Libertines. After twenty minutes or so, we changed our minds. Even half an hour before they came on stage, the crush was getting unbearable. We decided to fight our way back through the crowd (and that took some doing) and watch, basically on the big screen, from a more comfortable place. Our boys, who were not with us, remained near the front.

When the band came on stage, the place went mental. I mean really mental. Moshing was going on way, way back from the stage.

Then they stopped, halfway through Boys In the Band, and their was a palpable sense of worry. The crush at the front was getting dangerous. My sons later told me that they had feared for their lives...about fifty people fell on top of each other and couldn't get up. The band were virtually begging people to move back, almost impossible in a crowd like that. After about a 10 minute delay, they finished the song (!) and continued.

But then, during Time For Heroes, they stopped again, same reason, same amount of time. We were obviously worried about where our sons were, but no signal to text - all I could think was that this was going to be like Hillsborough. It was utterly out of control.

Eventually they got going again, playing, for the most part, a pretty lacklustre set, if truth be told. During the break, people had taken the opportunity to get away from the stage, apparently many people were really scared, and had thought the same as me. So it was crowded around us again - 150 or so yards away.

Near us, there was a crowd infestation of a lighting tower, with people, two of who were naked, dancing around stewards, fighting with them, and finally overwhelming them and climbing up the tower, which started to rock a little...again there was a delay "would you stop climbing the f***ing towers?" Pleaded Carl. Then, a phalanx of stewards rushed through the crowd and forcibly removed them.

I know Libertines gigs were always shambolic, but this was a disaster waiting to happen. We really felt that we were at an event that was going to hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons. The organisers got lucky, and you've got to hope that lessons have been learned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here