Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Fantastic! Saw them once at the Kentish Town Forum and it was okay , but they were amazing when I saw them again in Barcelona. I still balk a little at the Brighton Dome's prices though - costs about £4 more than their Roundhouse gig in London.

Think The Dome will be perfect for them though and I guess Brighton is just an extension of London afer all. Saw them last play in 2011 so well up for this.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just in case we weren't aware, Godspeed are playing at The Dome. Tix on general sale Wed @ about 10. Will be intrigued to hear how they sound in what is a really good venue.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
George the Poet plays C2 Mon 19 Oct - whoop.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Glastonbury then.......

It needs to have a major think about how it's presenting it's electronic acts and dj's, there's a massive stench of rockism if you ask me, certainly in comparison to Bestival and Primavera. Due to either the soundsystem being too weak/ the venue too small or not even being able to get close to it I missed Jesus (twice), Erol Alkan, most of DJ EZ, Fatboy Slim and Four Tet. The Fatboy Slim set at Blues was an utter shambles and pretty dangerous. They wouldn't put The Who on the Park Stage so I don't know why they thought that would be alright. I actually didn't bother after The Chemical Brothers on the last night as I couldn't be arsed with the frustration. That's a real shame and will stop me hurrying back I suspect, not what I was expecting from the supposed 'best festival in the world.'

The live music was brilliant though and organised superbly, with the minimum of clashes. Everything I saw was good.

Friday Highlights were Lonelady (despite the tent being full of nonplussed Bastille fans waiting for their heroes secret set afterwards.), Mary J Blige, Run The Jewels (though was the sound poor or are we not meant to be able to hear ELP?), Caribou were the best I've ever seen them, amazing set, Seeing Boy George, Mary j Blige, Grandmaster Flash and George Clinton in the 3 tracks of Mark Ronson we walked through.

Saturday was just an all time great day of music. I'm a Courtney Barnett convert, her main stage set was the perfect way to clear the head, The Waterboys were like a mini Bad Seeds, Sleaford Mods owned a bigger stage formidably, The Pop Group were great, possibly aided by Mark Stewart being pissed off at the compere calling them The Pop Band, Todd Terje was the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on, George Clinton's Mothership Return set was funk heaven and despite only airing one track from Leftism, the Leftfield live set was a triumph.

Sunday was somehow better, Songhoy Blues and ibibo sound machine are both names you'll be hearing a lot more from soon. Patti smith gave a masterclass with the added bonus of a guest appearance from the deli lama. Fat white family are unfathomably overrated, they seem to play rip offs of better bands songs, whilst cultivating a bullshit bad boy image that everyone knows is fake. On the other side of the coin The Phantom Band are the most underrated band in the country.
How after 4 superb albums they are playing to 200 people in The Williams Green Tent is beyond me. East India Youth's set in the same venue was better attended and the equal of his brilliant Haunt show earlier this year. Mark E Smith calls the soundman a **** and pisses himself in an incendiary Fall show. Goat don't let up in an hour of the most remarkable psych rock you are likely to see, though they could do with a bit more light and shade. The chemical brothers deserve to headline the Pyramid, it was one of the best things I've ever seen.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Glastonbury then.......

It needs to have a major think about how it's presenting it's electronic acts and dj's, there's a massive stench of rockism if you ask me, certainly in comparison to Bestival and Primavera. Due to either the soundsystem being too weak/ the venue too small or not even being able to get close to it I missed Jesus (twice), Erol Alkan, most of DJ EZ, Fatboy Slim and Four Tet. The Fatboy Slim set at Blues was an utter shambles and pretty dangerous. They wouldn't put The Who on the Park Stage so I don't know why they thought that would be alright. I actually didn't bother after The Chemical Brothers on the last night as I couldn't be arsed with the frustration. That's a real shame and will stop me hurrying back I suspect, not what I was expecting from the supposed 'best festival in the world.'

The live music was brilliant though and organised superbly, with the minimum of clashes. Everything I saw was good.

Friday Highlights were Lonelady (despite the tent being full of nonplussed Bastille fans waiting for their heroes secret set afterwards.), Mary J Blige, Run The Jewels (though was the sound poor or are we not meant to be able to hear ELP?), Caribou were the best I've ever seen them, amazing set, Seeing Boy George, Mary j Blige, Grandmaster Flash and George Clinton in the 3 tracks of Mark Ronson we walked through.

Saturday was just an all time great day of music. I'm a Courtney Barnett convert, her main stage set was the perfect way to clear the head, The Waterboys were like a mini Bad Seeds, Sleaford Mods owned a bigger stage formidably, The Pop Group were great, possibly aided by Mark Stewart being pissed off at the compere calling them The Pop Band, Todd Terje was the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on, George Clinton's Mothership Return set was funk heaven and despite only airing one track from Leftism, the Leftfield live set was a triumph.

Sunday was somehow better, Songhoy Blues and ibibo sound machine are both names you'll be hearing a lot more from soon. Patti smith gave a masterclass with the added bonus of a guest appearance from the deli lama. Fat white family are unfathomably overrated, they seem to play rip offs of better bands songs, whilst cultivating a bullshit bad boy image that everyone knows is fake. On the other side of the coin The Phantom Band are the most underrated band in the country.
How after 4 superb albums they are playing to 200 people in The Williams Green Tent is beyond me. East India Youth's set in the same venue was better attended and the equal of his brilliant Haunt show earlier this year. Mark E Smith calls the soundman a **** and pisses himself in an incendiary Fall show. Goat don't let up in an hour of the most remarkable psych rock you are likely to see, though they could do with a bit more light and shade. The chemical brothers deserve to headline the Pyramid, it was one of the best things I've ever seen.

Your Sunday sounds almost perfect- and you how I feel regarding The Phantom Band! Would have loved to have seen The Fall there too. Most envious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here