Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lewes Bonfire Thread

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Why did Fat boy slim only sell tickets to people with brighton post codes? That's a bit 'wickerman' isn't it?

Or is it that when they did it before the city was overrun and the infrastructure couldn't cope?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
How can an event, which has certain societies being fairly anti a sect of a religion be allowed in this age of not discriminating?

The event is not an anti religion event, most societies have members from many different faiths in their ranks.

The no Popery element refers to a particular pope (in the same way that the fifth is about the gunpowder plot and its co-conspirators), and to the catholic reformation that was taking place in the 16th and 17th centuries, where non catholics were burned at the stake for not converting to (or back to) Christianity.

Many societies have dropped this element from the celebrations anyway (there are 6 different socities, each with their own processions and displays)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The event is not an anti religion event, most societies have members from many different faiths in their ranks.

The no Popery element refers to a particular pope (in the same way that the fifth is about the gunpowder plot and its co-conspirators), and to the catholic reformation that was taking place in the 16th and 17th centuries, where non catholics were burned at the stake for not converting to (or back to) Christianity.

Many societies have dropped this element from the celebrations anyway (there are 6 different socities, each with their own processions and displays)

Still the whole anti Pope stuff would be getter suited to Guven than rural Sussex.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Whilst the Bonfire Societies tell people to stay away, the more people will come - its human nature to feel slighted when someone says you can't do something.....ie whasts so special that we can't come along.

If they just kept quite about it, maybe it would be different? Who knows...or if they explained that people should understand what its about, that its not fit for children, its loud, scary, fireworks will be used, and a spot exam on the reason it is in Lewes (history exam) should keep a few people away.... (if not some of the society members!) :lol:

The societies tell people not to attend because if you didn't and just kept quite about an already famous event worldwide, alot more people would attend, people would hear about it if they didn't already know from word of mouth or looking on the internet.

The societies already tell people that it is unsuitable for young children, pets etc...

If people are so bothered about visiting Lewes on the fifth, then get a costume made, and join a society, then maybe you will start to realise why the large crowds we already get are such a problem, and why it would be irresponsible not to act to try to keep crowd numbers down

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Why did Fat boy slim only sell tickets to people with brighton post codes? That's a bit 'wickerman' isn't it?

Or is it that when they did it before the city was overrun and the infrastructure couldn't cope?

That was NYE last year I believe. There were limited tickets (20,000?) available so restricting it to BN postcodes (which takes in most of Sussex dunnit) made sense.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The societies tell people not to attend because if you didn't and just kept quite about an already famous event worldwide, alot more people would attend, people would hear about it if they didn't already know from word of mouth or looking on the internet.

The societies already tell people that it is unsuitable for young children, pets etc...

If people are so bothered about visiting Lewes on the fifth, then get a costume made, and join a society, then maybe you will start to realise why the large crowds we already get are such a problem, and why it would be irresponsible not to act to try to keep crowd numbers down

Perhaps you should scrap it altogether if it is such a problem?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

It was imposed by the Council to ensure that numbers were manageable. Perhaps that is the way forward for Lewes if they are so worried about numbers, particularly if last year was such pandemonium.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This thread gets more and more Wickerman

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Well taking that tack is obviously not working, I'd try telling people its boring, then no-one will turn out!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
That was NYE last year I believe. There were limited tickets (20,000?) available so restricting it to BN postcodes (which takes in most of Sussex dunnit) made sense.

So basically you're saying that if there is limited space it makes sense to limit numbers by only allowing locals?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So basically you're saying that if there is limited space it makes sense to limit numbers by only allowing locals?

Yes, but how exactly would that work at Lewes?

btw I'm not arguing either way here. I don't like Lewes on November 5th, there's nothing there for me.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Yes, but how exactly would that work at Lewes?

btw I'm not arguing either way here. I don't like Lewes on November 5th, there's nothing there for me.

There is no way to actually enforce it. So they are left with politely asking those outside the area or not involved to not come.

However this is deemed as 'wickerman' yet when it is done in Brighton it is a sensible thing to do as a way of keeping down the numbers.

It's all a bit NSC

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

80,000 last year and you coped and the pubs were chocka - full of outsiders with their funny ways spending money in your cliquey town.

60,000 this year so I'd say that there was loads of room this year and there's no need for you lot to be so bloody precious about your processions. God forbid - for one night a year Lewes is full of students. Try living in Hanover, matey and then come and talk about it.

Every weekend Brighton is inundated with out of towners. We're that kind of town. It's us (Brightonians) who pay for the policing, the cleaning up etc through our council taxes and sometimes (in fact very often) emergency services are stretched and there are anti-social problems but the flip side is that it is a HUGE boost for the local economy and the people of Brighton are seen as welcoming cheery folk who are up for a party.

Bottom line - Lewes residents have made a huge PR gaffe in this thread. Small town with small towners and their small town attitude is how you come across.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Personally as a Catholic living in Lewes I tend to accept that the great majority hold no bigoted beliefs when taking part in bonfire and I go along (although tend to avoid Cliffe), but I am afraid that you are deluding yourself if you think it is not offensive to Catholics, and if it was directed at any other major religion in this day and age it would surely have been banned.

Bringing up historical prejudices and slurs based on a particular era does not mean that they are no longer relevent, and I have to say I have never come accross anything suggesting that the "choke the pope" etc is directed at any particular pope and is not a general comment.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
80,000 last year and you coped and the pubs were chocka - full of outsiders with their funny ways spending money in your cliquey town.

60,000 this year so I'd say that there was loads of room this year and there's no need for you lot to be so bloody precious about your processions. God forbid - for one night a year Lewes is full of students. Try living in Hanover, matey and then come and talk about it.

Every weekend Brighton is inundated with out of towners. We're that kind of town. It's us (Brightonians) who pay for the policing, the cleaning up etc through our council taxes and sometimes (in fact very often) emergency services are stretched and there are anti-social problems but the flip side is that it is a HUGE boost for the local economy and the people of Brighton are seen as welcoming cheery folk who are up for a party.

Bottom line - Lewes residents have made a huge PR gaffe in this thread. Small town with small towners and their small town attitude is how you come across.

You almost sound jealous (ps I'm not from Lewes)

LOL

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
oh yes. dead jealous.

....and what's the Lewes bit doing in your location then? Do you just help out when their busy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here