Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lewes Bonfire Thread

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
...which surprised me as I haven't got that impression when I've been there.

And there you have it. Perhaps you're better off trusting what you see first hand rather than the comments posted on NSC.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The issue isn't "public relations". It's the number of people attending and the consequences that has for the evening. For the last ten years or so, the experiences for all participants (bonfire society members and spectators) has been that the massive police presence has interfered with the way the evening goes.

For the most part, police officers who have been drafted in have no idea what is happening in front of them. An example this year was the taping off of the pavements on Cliffe Bridge - apparently with the intention of preventing ANYONE from getting near to the edge of the bridge. The police officers who were enforcing this rule seemed unaware that part of the ceremonies of at least two societies is to throw burning objects into the river. Threatening to arrest the individuals who do this, because they are "crossing a police line" is ridiculous. But it happened.

The police often move the crowds into streets where they simply get in the way. Recent years have seen processions re-routed unexpectedly - and this often results in more danger being created than was avoided by the decision to move the crowd in the first place. It also causes arguments to break out between Bonfire Society leaders and police officers, who aren't listening to reason and can't, in any case, undo the stupid decision they took a few minutes earlier..

If the number of visitors was less, the policing would be different. And everyone would have a better time.

I can see your point - but surely when people are told to stay away you're inviting more to actually attend - bit like car accidents on the motorways - people rubber neck on the otherside and cause a traffic jam the other way as well just because they're nosey....

Like I said before - when the old copper say "move on, nothing to see here" I'm sure you'll find loads of people who just HAVE to stop and take a gander....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So whats the score Brotherhood of Lewes? Can I give it a go next year or will you burn an effigy of me if I show up?

Give it a go, Mr Nibble. But, if you go anywhere east of the Law Courts / White Hart, expect to be periodically pushed around by the police and relocated in a street where you can't see anything, because nothing is happening in that street. If you're lucky, you might just get stuck at the back of the throng, where you still can't see anything.

And watch out for someone unconnected with a bonfire society chucking an explosive device in your direction.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Give it a go, Mr Nibble. But, if you go anywhere east of the Law Courts / White Hart, expect to be periodically pushed around by the police and relocated in a street where you can't see anything, because nothing is happening in that street. If you're lucky, you might just get stuck at the back of the throng, where you still can't see anything.

And watch out for someone unconnected with a bonfire society chucking an explosive device in your direction.

Oh, might just stop in Brighton and watch chavs throw fireworks at my head instead.:)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can see your point - but surely when people are told to stay away you're inviting more to actually attend - bit like car accidents on the motorways - people rubber neck on the otherside and cause a traffic jam the other way as well just because they're nosey....

Except you dont tend to drive to car accidents to see them you are normally driving past one going about some other purpose. If you heard there was a pileup on the M23 and police said keep away would you then get in your car and drive x miles to view it.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Except you dont tend to drive to car accidents to see them you are normally driving past one going about some other purpose. If you heard there was a pileup on the M23 and police said keep away would you then get in your car and drive x miles to view it.

True - sorry that was probably a bad example - but I was trying to think of an example of where peoples curiosity gets the better of them...doesn't account for the hoolies who turn up but probably accounts for a loads of people who think "ooooh must check that out if they are asking people not to go".

True - sorry that was probably a bad example - but I was trying to think of an example of where peoples curiosity gets the better of them...doesn't account for the hoolies who turn up but probably accounts for a loads of people who think "ooooh must check that out if they are asking people not to go".
Are you now talking about the Cheltenham game in the Paint Pot trophy?

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
PS....i wonder how many people in the processions are "outsiders"

:bigwave:

I know of at least 50 people who were in te procession who were from out out town. As the Heatfield Colleage Samba band were invited to join the Southover bonfire society. so there were around 30 kids playing their drums plus assorted Teachers & Parents.

For the record, the parents were there to provide a buffer beteen the kids and those who where likely to be setting of fireworks. Although fireworks were being let off all night not one was let off near the kids, so we (the adults were probably not needed).

It ia also worth mentioning, that as "outsiders" we were made to feel very welcome by the Southover society.

We (both the adaults and kids) had a great time processing at Lewes, and we went home very wet, and very tired, but I for one would love to repeat the expreience next year.

Oh, and a big thanks to those fellow Albion fans who gave me a big "Seagulls" as I went down the High street.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Possibly because I am involved in the bonfire societies, and understand how they work - to an extent.

As for being a yokel, yes I most definetly am (eh Roz/Lord B).

EDIT: Oh, and Brighton may lay on the firework display but where is the carnivalesque procession, drinking in the streets, singing bonfire songs, etc... Cosmoplitan city? My arse!!
ive lived in both mate, give me brighton any day.

Dandyman

In London village.
not really - part playing devil advocate, part surprised with the Little Lewesian attitude. There's been a lot posted on this thread not just about numbers but about "outsiders" ruining it, not knowing the rules, police spoiling people's fun, students running amok, etc etc.
Certainly a lot more than just mere congestion and congestion wasn't what I was trying to get at. And the impression I'm left with is that the people of Lewes esp. the processioners appear parochial and cliquey which surprised me as I haven't got that impression when I've been there. It just seems very anarchic (from all sides ) and certainly as much naughtiness from processioners as spectators.

Not unlike a GDC away day, I'm glad to say.

Jan 30, 2008
having lived in ST ANNES CRESCENT in lewes and putting up with the grand procession forming up in the road and drowning out the tv and having stuff thown down the stairwell outside ive never been back for the event, lewes has changed ,to many outsiders in the town, a lot of the lewes hard core got out years ago :bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here