The "JCL" attitude

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I only just signed up on here recently and would like to raise a point about this term "JCL". All the people who use this term in a derogatory way, do you not want your club to grow. Do you think all the 18,000 season tickets that plough money into the club were all bought by hardened Albion veterans?

I support Man utd but obviously living in Sussex, it is difficult to see more than a couple of games a season and being 18 means money is a major factor too. But I do watch a lot of Brighton games at the Withdean.

Me and my Dad have bought season tickets for the new stadium and will go along to support Brighton and sing our hearts out every game, but why do some people have a problem with this? Would you rather go into the Amex and only have 7000 crowds or would you rather grow and attract more fans and therefore generate more money?

Rant over

I have absolutely zero problem. Enjoy it, keep cheering, and one day you will realise you are not a Man United fan at all, but an Albion fan.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
You wouldn't have bought a season ticket if we'd got relegated 2 seasons ago though would you? Do you even know how close we came to it 2 season ago? Or who the managers name was? Or who scored the final goal in that season? I can predict quite easily you won't, your bandwagon plastic fan and a stain on the club. You say you 'support' manchester united, based on what exactly do you support them?

How about looking at this POSITIVELY? This bloke goes to the Amex and get's hooked. Ditches United and ends up supporting us for the rest of his days? Christ sake just think when I started to support the Albion in 81/82 just think if I'd bumped into a negative twat like you who asked me questions about the team in the seventies which I couldn't answer and then called me a bandwagon plastic fan. I may have thought 'f*** this I'm not going to bother'. I wouldn't have bothered going to all those shit games at Gillingham and I wouldn't have stuck with the team when the previous owners did their best to f*** things up for everyone. How do you know this bloke wont get hooked and still turn out when things aren't going as well sometime in the future?

The Brighton Ace

Nov 14, 2008
Sussex by the sea
There is a big difference between being a fan and a supporter. Picking a top team with whom you have no affiliation and following them on the tv is not supporting a club but is being a fan of a team. You'll never have the level of engagment and love for a team that you're not strongly affiliated to by location, family etc. I'm not bothered by these fans, I feel that they're intact missing out on the highs and lows of being a proper supporter. In the same breath, I've got friends who were fans of premier league clubs but became Brighton supporters a couple of years ago once they were introduced to the joys of withdean. I really don't care what teams our new fans supported before seeing the light, all are welcome but I hope that they don't digress if times aren't so great!

Welcome one and all!

D

Deleted User X18H

I only just signed up on here recently and would like to raise a point about this term "JCL". All the people who use this term in a derogatory way, do you not want your club to grow. Do you think all the 18,000 season tickets that plough money into the club were all bought by hardened Albion veterans?

I support Man utd but obviously living in Sussex, it is difficult to see more than a couple of games a season and being 18 means money is a major factor too. But I do watch a lot of Brighton games at the Withdean.

Me and my Dad have bought season tickets for the new stadium and will go along to support Brighton and sing our hearts out every game, but why do some people have a problem with this? Would you rather go into the Amex and only have 7000 crowds or would you rather grow and attract more fans and therefore generate more money?

Rant over

Yes but you forget a lot of people on here saved the Albion back in the day , with marches petitions and all round good eggness. Now they are having to share their Albion with many many others. I feel like this a bit. In the last 12 years the Albion have been personal to me and a few thousand others almost like a medium size , almost exlusive social club.
Now we have to share that club with thousands of others in a new environment no one is familair with. I doubt the MD will personally put deatails of stadium plans and posts throught my door anymore. Or even a player persoanally offering to deliver testimonial dinner tickets.

The Albion and moved on , and we must all accept its not the little league 2 club at the council stadium and with a floor in the town centre tower block (its point actually) anymore.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
You wouldn't have bought a season ticket if we'd got relegated 2 seasons ago though would you? Do you even know how close we came to it 2 season ago? Or who the managers name was? Or who scored the final goal in that season?

You arrogant prick. Why should he have to jusifty himself to you?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
You wouldn't have bought a season ticket if we'd got relegated 2 seasons ago though would you? Do you even know how close we came to it 2 season ago? Or who the managers name was? Or who scored the final goal in that season?

Those of us that have supported Brighton since childhood do so because we were lucky enough that our fathers (or mothers, uncles, grandads) took us along. Its a sad fact but I don't think its unique to Brighton - kids won't decide to support a lower league team by themselves. If people want to come along and become supporters later in life, that's fantastic in my view. Don't worry about them claiming to support a prem team - as long as we make an atmosphere and aren't a plastic club, they'll realise how they've been wrong all their life.

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
Its great we have sold 18,000 or so season tickets, and will look great for the club that we will look full every week. But for me, as I can't get a season ticket due to work commitments mostly working on a saturday, it does feel a little disappointing that a fan who has never been before now gets to sit in our great new stadium, over me who has endured some shitty times at Withdean, when the club were at their lowest. But the club should welcome these new fans who are bringing in more revenue, its great for the club.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes but you forget a lot of people on here saved the Albion back in the day , with marches petitions and all round good eggness. Now they are having to share their Albion with many many others. I feel like this a bit. In the last 12 years the Albion have been personal to me and a few thousand others almost like a medium size , almost exlusive social club.
Now we have to share that club with thousands of others in a new environment no one is familair with. I doubt the MD will personally put deatails of stadium plans and posts throught my door anymore. Or even a player persoanally offering to personally deliver testimonial dinner tickets.

The Albion and moved on , and we must all accept its not the little league 2 club at the council stadium and with a floor in the town centre tower block (its point actually) anymore.

But surely when we were saving the club, this is what we were hoping for? I always believed that the Albion had the potential to be, and should be a second division club. I spent ages banging on about it. and i am being proved right. obviously I don't have to actively share the club with all these new fans, but i cannot wait to watch Brighton in a full Amex stadium. It will be a dream come true. You don't have to share it, just enjoy what is will become!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Those of us that have supported Brighton since childhood do so because we were lucky enough that our fathers (or mothers, uncles, grandads) took us along. Its a sad fact but I don't think its unique to Brighton - kids won't decide to support a lower league team by themselves. If people want to come along and become supporters later in life, that's fantastic in my view. Don't worry about them claiming to support a prem team - as long as we make an atmosphere and aren't a plastic club, they'll realise how they've been wrong all their life.

I guess you're right, I am pretty unique, neither of my parents interested in football, majority of people I knew supported prem teams and yet here I am supporting Brighton :shrug:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I guess you're right, I am pretty unique, neither of my parents interested in football, majority of people I knew supported prem teams and yet here I am supporting Brighton :shrug:

So out of interest. Why did you choose to support Brighton?

D

Deleted User X18H

I think part of the psyche/attitude against JCL's is that previously people announced in the office , and parties in the pub or even to neighbours that they are Albion fans. This usually promotes all kinds of banter with the Albion fan feeling he / she has to justify why they support the Albion and feel good about their local loyalty. Now when they say it, many others will say yeah, me too.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
JCL's, welcome.
JCB's (Jonny come-backs), welcome.
Former Premier League club fans, welcome.
Premier League club fans, welcome (you've seen the light).
Occasionals, welcome.
The weird and the wonderful, welcome.
Rucksack wearers, welcome.
Non-rucksack wearers, welcome.
Young kids, old gits, bald men, fat women, jews or muslims, welcome.
East Sussex, West Sussex, Essex or even Surrey folk, you're welcome.

Come and get on the Gus Bus, support the team and enjoy the football at your local club.
Learn to love the Albion (again) and spend a lifetime in love with the club.
Come one, come all.

Seagulls.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
JCL's, welcome.
Occasionals, welcome.

Come and get on the Gus Bus, support the team and enjoy the football at your local club.
Come one, come all.

Seagulls.

Can you send me a ticket for a flight?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
JCL's, welcome.
Occasionals, welcome.

Come one, come all.

Seagulls.

Hear, hear!!

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
You sir, are the stain on the club. Horrific attitude.

Yeah he's an angry little fella that one, seems to just go every thread having a moan up, wonder if he just does it hiding behind his keyboard or if he'd have the bollocks to chat as much shit in person

D

Deleted User X18H

JCL's, welcome.
Occasionals, welcome.

Come one, come all.

Seagulls.

What about Kent?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports