Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The injustice against Liverpool

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What do Liverpool supporters have a candle-lit vigil about if not Hillsborough?
Liverpool fans have a long history of histrionics over tiny things (the toffees dont do this).
The city has a history of vigils outside the cathedral. That's the link.

I assume as you're the self apointed gatekeeper of poor taste humour, that if I go to any thread about Chelsea fans, Mancs or Tories you'll be all over those calling out anyone who has a dig?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Liverpool fans have a long history of histrionics over tiny things (the toffees dont do this).
The city has a history of vigils outside the cathedral. That's the link.

I assume as you're the self apointed gatekeeper of poor taste humour, that if I go to any thread about Chelsea fans, Mancs or Tories you'll be all over those calling out anyone who has a dig?
If your post was meant as gentle humour, I apologise.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
IMO the incompetence theory breaks down wrt the Spurs v Brighton match. I mean, what are the odds of the officials getting 5 game changing decisions wrong in one match and all in favour of the same team through incompetence alone? The Palace offside where they failed to notice the other defender almost alongside the defender from whom they drew the line also stretches the level of incompetence necessary almost off the scale.
From memory, the ref body apologised for the penalty that should have been given, but wasn’t. There were other dubious decisions that went against Albion but I’m not sure that these were VAR cock-ups. They certainly included dodgy decisions but these happen in every game.

But more to the point, if it’s not (as I think it is) a grim mixture of incompetence and the officials being intimidated by a raucous home crowd in a huge stadium, what exactly is it? What's your explanation about what happened?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Why do they want the audio, what will that achieve. Pathetic poor us grand standing without taking any notice of other club who suffered at the hands of VAR.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Why do they want the audio, what will that achieve. Pathetic poor us grand standing without taking any notice of other club who suffered at the hands of VAR.
Wolves fan on a phone in tonight saying can they have their cup tie at Anfield replayed for the dodgy offside decision that cost them the tie due to a gross VAR error that received an apology (lines drawn but missed a player that was playing them onside when they scored, goal disallowed)? Is the audio from that still available?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From memory, the ref body apologised for the penalty that should have been given, but wasn’t. There were other dubious decisions that went against Albion but I’m not sure that these were VAR cock-ups. They certainly included dodgy decisions but these happen in every game.

But more to the point, if it’s not (as I think it is) a grim mixture of incompetence and the officials being intimidated by a raucous home crowd in a huge stadium, what exactly is it? What's your explanation about what happened?
in terms of procedure, VAR was inconsistently applied, to the detriment of the away side in each instance.

Mitoma scored a goal, but it was ruled out on the field because the linesman thought he’d spotted a possible brush of the ball with his arm. The VAR looked at it, and decided that it could NOT intervene because it was not conclusively a clear error.

30 minutes later we scored another goal, that was given on the field, but inconclusive replays showed it may have brushed MacAllister’s arm. This time, strangely, the VAR decided it now COULD intervene, and ruled the goal out.

It was complete BULLSHIT.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

It's either a mistake or deliberate.
The Dunk penalty decision was just as bad as the Mitoma one. The 2 goals disallowed for handball (by VAR) were awful decisions.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
in terms of procedure, VAR was inconsistently applied, to the detriment of the away side in each instance.

Mitoma scored a goal, but it was ruled out on the field because the linesman thought he’d spotted a possible brush of the ball with his arm. The VAR looked at it, and decided that it could NOT intervene because it was not conclusively a clear error.

30 minutes later we scored another goal, that was given on the field, but inconclusive replays showed it may have brushed MacAllister’s arm. This time, strangely, the VAR decided it now COULD intervene, and ruled the goal out.

It was complete BULLSHIT.
So I ask again — if it wasn’t just a mix of incompetence and mild intimidation, what is it? What’s the explanation?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
As I said, it's either incompetence or deliberate corruption.
But what does "deliberate corruption" mean? Do you seriously think all those VAR guys sitting in that room are conspiring together with… with who? Daniel Levy? Conte? A shady betting syndicate? How much will all those officials have to be paid to compensate them for the risk of being detected, having their careers ending in disgrace and probably ending up in prison? It’s preposterous. The explanation is incompetence. Anyone who suspects corruption has to offer a theory on how it all works.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As I said, it's either incompetence or deliberate corruption.
It’s really neither.

Officials are fearful and not able to criticise each other which is essentially what VAR is all about. It’s the classic establishment ‘old boys network’ just like we see in the Met. They are looking after their own and put respect for each other’s decisions above all else.

VAR needs to be completely independent from those ****ish refs. As long they are marking their own homework, we’ll see mistakes like this all day long. If we’d been brilliant against Villa, we’d have still lost with the level of VAR and officiating in the match, they are rotten to the core.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't see how you can criticize the first club to ask questions just because they are the first club to ask questions. Think Rosa Parks.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I don't see how you can criticize the first club to ask questions just because they are the first club to ask questions. Think Rosa Parks.
Because what will it achieve?
We and other clubs have had dreadful decisions given against us and got on with things behind closed doors without the ‘look at us’ attitude of Liverpool.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Y
We went all through dark suspicions of corruption when we were in that position. Now it is Liverpool I can see that incompetence is more likely.
I was mildly bemused this morning to read reports that this means VAR is at a watershed…Nobody said that when we were denied points by it .
Yes, I too am amused by Jamie Carraghars “Var is at crisis point (but only because it’s happened to Liverpool once, where as the Albion have sucked up 3 such instances last season)” remarks. Still, you’ll never walk alone when it comes to VAR. Everyone loathes it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here