Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The injustice against Liverpool

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Isn't the simplest solution, in the unfortunate age of VAR, to revise the rule that says once play has been restarted a decision cannot be revisited?

In this particular instance they knew shortly after play had restarted that a colossal cock-up had occurred. Nothing of note had happened on the pitch. So just add an addendum to that rule, right?

"Decisions cannot be reviewed once play has been restarted...unless...we've made a giant, game changing mistake"

Not for subjective decisions or anything like that. Objective "this is wrong" shit.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
At no point during that audio was a whether a goal could be awarded was discussed. Surely it's not hard to make sure the protocol is that it has to be asked and a firm reply before the game restarts.

Check complete is ambiguous. At no point did they even mention offside to Hooper. Hooper himself didn't confirm that the check confirmed the off side.

It really is a complete shit show. The players also have to take some responsibility as well, not so much in this instance but previous released audio of other events, you can clearly hear the ref struggling to hear what is being said to him as he is surrounded by players yelling at him. Secondly I believe that the personal stuff needs to be removed. The communication should be strictly relaid by the official title, Referee to VAR Referee not John, Bob here, Fred thinks it's a penalty, Yes I do George can you check it again?

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
As an aside, doesn't this illustrate there is absolutely no point in the linesman putting his flag up when the ball ends up in the goal?

If the ball ends up in the back of the net, VAR automatically comes into play to check for offside, fouls and handballs etc. So why trigger an on-field offside, as happened in this incident, if the VAR team are going to check everything anyway?

Leave the flag down, see the ball go in an at that point, using the rugby union process, the on-field referee would say to the VAR team "Is there any reason why I can not award a goal?"
The bit I can’t stand though is the lack of common sense when the Lino leaves his flag down because it’s borderline, a goal isn’t scored but the ball goes out for a corner, it’s then shown to be offside, but because it’s not a goal or red card incident VAR won’t give a goal kick.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Isn't the simplest solution, in the unfortunate age of VAR, to revise the rule that says once play has been restarted a decision cannot be revisited?

In this particular instance they knew shortly after play had restarted that a colossal cock-up had occurred. Nothing of note had happened on the pitch. So just add an addendum to that rule, right?

"Decisions cannot be reviewed once play has been restarted...unless...we've made a giant, game changing mistake"

Not for subjective decisions or anything like that. Objective "this is wrong" shit.
That would in theory make sense, but then what is the cut off point, 30 seconds, a minute, 5 minutes etc. that would open up another can of worms imo.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the simplest solution would be a clearer protocol for what is being checked and what the verdict is. we dont need new rules, or more people involved.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
It's incredible how unprofessional it all is. It feels as though all it needs is some very clear Comms along the lines of:

Ref: Offside check requested. onfield decision is offside no goal.

VAR: Understood: reviewing offside, onfield decision is no goal.

Checking, checking

VAR: penultimate defending player is X, drawing the line on player's toe/head/armpit etc. The furthest forward part of the attacker is (cock) line being drawn....

VAR: My assessment is the player is onside, goal should stand. Assistant VAR do you agree?

Assistant VAR: Yes I agree, furthest forward part of attacker is inline or behind penultimate defender. Player is onside, goal should stand.

Ref: Received. Player onside, goal should goal stand. Will restart with kick off from.centre circle. Confirm.

VAR: yes, yes.

Really can't see how this would add much time to the check?

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Wasn’t VAR used in the last WC? and no one barely noticed it. It’s the fools in this country using it, that’s the problem.
Its because refs here dont know the rules. Dunk free kick v Wezt Brom, blows for kick to be taken, realised he made a mistake then blows again. Thst is against the laws of the gameì

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Isn’t it about time the scousers stopped whinging? Every club has had goals wrongly disallowed and players wrongly sent off Once they’ve had their apologies most clubs reluctantly accept that mistakes happen and the media quickly forget it. But when it’s the scousers it goes on and on and on and f***ing on.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's incredible how unprofessional it all is. It feels as though all it needs is some very clear Comms along the lines of:

Checking, checking

VAR: penultimate defending player is X, drawing the line on player's toe/head/armpit etc. The furthest forward part of the attacker is (cock) line being drawn....

VAR: My assessment is the player is onside, goal should stand. Assistant VAR do you agree?

Assistant VAR: Yes I agree, furthest forward part of attacker is inline or behind penultimate defender. Player is onside, goal should stand.

Ref: Received. Player onside, goal should goal stand. Will restart with kick off from.centre circle. Confirm.

Simple really isn't it?

As I posted it should also be obvious who is speaking. Always start with your official title. Therefore it is obvious who is speaking but also who is responding. They should be made to listen to air traffic control recordings to appreciate how concise communication works in a professional environment.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Isn’t it about time the scousers stopped whinging? Every club has had goals wrongly disallowed and players wrongly sent off Once they’ve had their apologies most clubs reluctantly accept that mistakes happen and the media quickly forget it. But when it’s the scousers it goes on and on and on and f***ing on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231002_233209_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231002_233209_Facebook.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 77

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Which is a technology
It's not the ONLY technology. VAR uses technology. The idiots don't always make the right decisions when using the technology but the technology itself is working fine. The only instance of the technology not working is the goalline technology in the Villa v Sheff Utd match.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Surely what has caused this is the terminolgy that is used. The outcome from an Offside check should be either Offside or Onside not Check Complete.

At no point during that audio was a whether a goal could be awarded was discussed. Surely it's not hard to make sure the protocol is that it has to be asked and a firm reply before the game restarts.

Check complete is ambiguous. At no point did they even mention offside to Hooper. Hooper himself didn't confirm that the check confirmed the off side.

It really is a complete shit show. The players also have to take some responsibility as well, not so much in this instance but previous released audio of other events, you can clearly hear the ref struggling to hear what is being said to him as he is surrounded by players yelling at him. Secondly I believe that the personal stuff needs to be removed. The communication should be strictly relaid by the official title, Referee to VAR Referee not John, Bob here, Fred thinks it's a penalty, Yes I do George can you check it again?

the simplest solution would be a clearer protocol for what is being checked and what the verdict is. we dont need new rules, or more people involved.

Checking, checking

Just been catching up on this thread after a few days, and reading through page after page thinking "surely someone has already mentioned that at no point does anyone in the audio actually confirm a) what the on-field decision to be checked was, or b) what the specific outcomes of the VAR check was". Get to the last page and finally there you all are :p.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Checking, checking

It's a little verbose in parts but basically good.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Maybe they could get the audio for Estupinans disallowed goal and the multitude of glaring errors we suffered against Spuds
Would be interesting. “ it’s only Brighton, if we let these goals stand we’re never hear the end of it from Kane. Nothing to see here, move along”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here