Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The injustice against Liverpool

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Right this VAR nonsense surely it’s time to put VAR into the bin of failed ideas and instead go back to the on field decision being final but for this to work you cannot have the likes of Shearer highly reactive post match investigations

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Right this VAR nonsense surely it’s time to put VAR into the bin of failed ideas and instead go back to the on field decision being final but for this to work you cannot have the likes of Shearer highly reactive post match investigations
The issue isn’t the technology it’s the idiots trying to use it. Binning it simply puts the decisions back into the hands of the idiots too incompetent to use VAR. If they can’t use VAR then they arent competent to referee.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
People binning off VAR when its clearly some of the idiots using it that is the problem, takeaway VAR and you then just have poor quality refs making (often but not always) bad and seemingly biased mistakes.
Agreed. Take VAR out of Saturday and what is left? A quite clearly wrong offside decision. Nothing actually changes.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
That's just shocking hearing just how failed the whole system is from the very first point of human input, it's simply not fit for purpose and I've no confidence in those that apply the system at all,not that I had much in the first place.

The close season should have been a opportunity to iron out all the previous years cock ups but instead it seems it's actually gotten worse,I'm really happy this has now been made public but I'm furious our blatant and obvious injustice from last season was simply brushed aside, it's now quite clear that the so called bigger clubs do indeed have more influence when these VAR matters arise.

I really don't fancy our chances of getting anything positive from the VAR buffoons on Sunday and I fully expect a full on Liverpool love in from the officials.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Surely what has caused this is the terminolgy that is used. The outcome from an Offside check should be either Offside or Onside not Check Complete.
I dunno, I think "Offside, goal, yeah" is pretty clear.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As an aside, doesn't this illustrate there is absolutely no point in the linesman putting his flag up when the ball ends up in the goal?

If the ball ends up in the back of the net, VAR automatically comes into play to check for offside, fouls and handballs etc. So why trigger an on-field offside, as happened in this incident, if the VAR team are going to check everything anyway?

Leave the flag down, see the ball go in an at that point, using the rugby union process, the on-field referee would say to the VAR team "Is there any reason why I can not award a goal?"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As an aside, doesn't this illustrate there is absolutely no point in the linesman putting his flag up when the ball ends up in the goal?

If the ball ends up in the back of the net, VAR automatically comes into play to check for offside, fouls and handballs etc. So why trigger an on-field offside, as happened in this incident, if the VAR team are going to check everything anyway?

Leave the flag down, see the ball go in an at that point, using the rugby union process, the on-field referee would say to the VAR team "Is there any reason why I can not award a goal?"
Rugby refs won't always say that though. They can ask for checks for knock ons, blocking / crossing or the grounding. They'll only say what you've quoted if they're fairly sure it's a try. Same with 'soft signals' in cricket. There's almost always an indication of what on field officials think.

Here, the biggest issue for me is that the on field linesman gets his soft signal horribly wrong. From the audio it seems to me that the guys in VAR are assuming it was given as a goal, because anything else would be incredulous. Yet, had we not had VAR we'd have had 5/10 mins after the game showing the linesman got it wrong and have moved on. We certainly wouldn't have the Today programme talking to Henry Winter about it three days later because it's sodding Liverpool.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I mean, this is over the top, I’d delete this post if I was you or at least edit this bit out.
1) He's not, in any way, serious, but, more importantly
2) As soon as people start quoting these things it becomes a total PITA to edit or delete with only mods able to and then having to find every quoted instance and change it without wrecking the reply post.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Wasn’t VAR used in the last WC? and no one barely noticed it. It’s the fools in this country using it, that’s the problem.
Indeed and a semi automated one which we in our wisdom decided against in favour of our goons sticking with the should have gone to specsavers carry on variety.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just read the transcript of the VAR audio. Frankly if that's the standard of communication and literacy, I'm amazed there aren't many more VAR cockups.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

But that would lead to us celebrate more 'goals' which are then disallowed.

And eventually stop anyone celebrating anything until a VAR compete message is shown. *shudder*

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven

I was thinking exactly this on the way to work this morning. I get putting the flag up if it goes out for a corner, but if it end up in the goal, it should be a straight forward goal or no goal. This mistake would not have happened if they did this.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Maybe I'm missing something obvious but it seems to me that one simple solution would
1 - Add a bit of theatre to a tedious VAR process
2 - Add clarity of decision

Like cricket when the review is complete, and the Big Scrren does the reveal of "Out or Not Out" why doesn't the big screen reveal the word "goal" or "no Goal" as the completion of the check. Until we see that image, play isn't resuming. None of this Check Complete stuff.

You would have something like a half naked Emile Heskey with his back to camera and a towel around his lower half. He then slowly drops the towel to crowd chants of "oooooohhhhhh" and then see the word "goal" on his right cheek....before exposing his left cheek which is either blank or says "no" on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here